1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player queue

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vermilicious, Aug 7, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

But the lobby wouldn't be mandatory and you could skip it anytime. It's just there to alert you when enough players have joined if you don't want to build dildos by yourself in the meantime.

J-man2003 likes this.
  2. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

The thing is, you've got like 80 servers, but the distribution of players among them isn't the cutest one you can imagine. There's usually, as you said, 15 servers with players at all, maybe 5-8 with a decent game going on, and those are usually full. Like full full. Also most of the servers are not on your continent (well there are exceptions in EU sometimes, but it's KAG, not the World Cup and we should think about the world entire).
    Following is based on a test from just now, 12:40 in Poland (utc +1 for you, ignorant rednecks), a Saturday.
    When you first look, it seems that there's many games going on. But, two of them are Beo's Zombies and Aphelion's, which you probably don't want to play on because you want to play regular KAG. One of them is AUS, another one is US, one is RTDM which you could join but you'd rather CTF. Another few (around 5) are just 3-5 players on, and you're lazy and you want to actually start playing insead of booting the game up for those long expensive minutes. There's a shiprekt, a sv_test on. What you're left with is BD CTF... Which is full. And you are stuck refreshing.

tl;dr: I'm trying to point out that "populated servers" doesn't mean servers you want to join in a vast majority of times. The queue may or may not be a solution, but I'd rather see a smarter idle kick system (for example kick after a smaller amount of time if the server is full, disable spectator if the server is full (with an exception for admins ofc)).

J-man2003 and Dargona1018 like this.
  3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Well this feels like a winner, just wish it didn't require a browser to use. :potato:

J-man2003 likes this.
  4. kostasfighter13

kostasfighter13 Horde Gibber

Haha youre having this problem ? I can barely find any servers, i only find 6-10 at a time, not more

5. BlueLuigi

That's usually the case, you'll find usually a bit more than that, but servers with people? Maybe 4-10 yeah.

6. kostasfighter13

Oh so its not a problem from my side ? Its a shame tho, more people need to learn about this game

J-man2003 likes this.
  7. BlueLuigi

Unfortunately, the game has been released for a long time, and due to constant changes that can really make a huge difference on the game (among other things) , what happens often is that the population will swell (would be surprised if it didn't with mechanics), from a lot of new people hearing about the cool new feature and coming, then it'll die down, usually to the case of there being 50~100 people at random times. There were quite a few times when you'd find almost every server up populated, and 30+ servers being up.

J-man2003 likes this.
  8. kostasfighter13

True, but then isnt there an actuall way to bring more people to the game ?

J-man2003 likes this.
  9. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

There's lots of ways to get people to bring people into games. However, the problem lies somewhere else, you have to get them to stick to your game. As BL said, there were times where the population was large - ie when KAG got first released on Steam, or when there were sales.

10. kostasfighter13

Yea actually thats what i meant, i just expressed it terribly. I meant we need ways to show people how awesome KAG truly is and help the community grow

11. BlueLuigi

Probably the only way to do that is to try to spread it's name and show people how fun it is, starting a youtube channel or twitch stream would certainly help I'd imagine.

12. kostasfighter13

Good idea, i was thinking of starting a channel anyway and thats one more reason to, i just wonder if it will get support or anything

BlueLuigi and Sky_Captain_Bjorn like this.
  13. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I was confused by what "queue" meant; I hadn't played much games with a queue system before hand. Also, with simple join the idea of a queue is silly unless you want to efficiently play with friends.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 8, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 8, 2015 ---
    I like how this is going terribly off-topic, I love it!

Anyways, adding on to what you said, I feel as if there is no real way to; as most gamers really only play KAG for a few weeks or months. That is, unfortunately, how most gamers are (like some of my friends who hate a game after a month or two). So the only real way to have players want to stick with this game is to give them more options, may it be mods or play-styles.

This is where guides and/or tutorials would really help, along with heavy developer involvement (but for Pete's sake; the developers are very involved in the community as is). Because guides and tutorials would open up for a lot of different play-styles and in general gives longevity to player's playtime in KAG. Of course, for these guides and/or tutorials to even be seen they need to be sponsored by either THD or Steam, and with Steam guides that's already happening.

I guess the one thing left to do is integrate the Youtube tutorials like the ones made by Franek into the official websites for KAG, or in guides.

14. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I feel like something like this is really important for helping small servers stay more active.

I'm one of probably many people who really like smaller playercounts in kag. 20 slot servers I can enjoy but anything over that is just not as fun for me. The problem is that although 5v5 is like my idea of the perfect game size, take a few players away and the fun just plummets. Nobody wants to play 3v3 or 4v4 (or 3v4) pub kag, so they all leave. A 10 slot server dies the second a few people leave. I was playing on Abc's 10 slot server earlier and really enjoying it but sure enough it went from full to empty in minutes with the leaving cascade. If there's a queue to replace people as they leave it could help prevent this.

With a bigger server there's a significantly better player cushion in that <10 people can leave at a time and the game is still playable. 10 people leave a 24 slot server and the it's still a 7v7 which is a great size for a lot of people. And then more people join in as the game goes on (there's usually a spike in leaving as a match ends). That's my guess as to why the bigger servers tend to stay active a lot more often.

If possible it would be nice to be in a queue and in a game at the same time so you wouldn't have to wait around in the menu, and could at least play some kag while you wait for your favorite server.

The other option is to somehow try to make kag more enjoyable at lower playercounts but a queue is probably an easier and more desirable solution to help out the server diversity

Mods: Rainbows