1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player Retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tern, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Awesome, thanks.

3. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

welcome to "kill 10 sharks without dying" all over again

[​IMG]

4. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Couldn't we try adding achievements to the game?

Yes, I know its not cod nor an FPS game.
    But I think having levels based on XP.
    You can accumulate XP by killing other players or capping the opposite teams flag (Also with other activities) such as

Achievement Unlocked : Get a double kill using a bomb! XP + 100.
    I think adding stuff like this could really be a noob magnet
    making them stay long enough to get hooked onto KAG

5. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Doesn't really need XP, all it needs are steam achievements.

Ex: Achievement Unlocked! Two Birds, One Stone! (kill 2 people with one bomb)
    Achievement Unlocked! D-d-d-d-drop The Base! (kill 5 enemies in a collapse) *should unlock skrillex head*

Maybe some achievements would unlock heads, this way, achievements only have a cosmetic effect, and wouldn't give people an advantage in combat, or make one person seem vastly superior by assigning a number to them. Large numbers assigned to people gives them large egos, just like in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, where level 40s think they're always better, and when a level 20 kills them, they think you're hacking.
    Although, we shouldn't tell people which achievements unlock heads, that way people will want to get every achievement out there. If you give someone a destination, finding the path to it becomes easier. As it is now, people are metaphorically wandering around in the fog of war trying to find what KAG has to offer.

Pharphis, Dargona1018, Tern and 2 others like this.
  6. XP would be kinda neat, their are those people who want to build a reputation.

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That's deep, like a bowl of lasagna.

8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

now what is this yagger please explain

9. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

People spread rumors that arcrave got his shark head by killing ten sharks with only using a sword. The sharks also had to be on the same server and couldn't take damage from anyone but him.

10. Leo

Leo Haxor

From my 10 years experience running game servers I can tell you for sure that XP and achievements brings and keeps players in a game. Check out Wolfenstein. After all these years and still has a large player base.

11. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Currently, the only thing to achieve is competence / skill. People spend a bunch of time to achieve this -- only to see it disappear in one of those 'balance' updates?
    @Geti is quite ignorant. It's almost cute.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    J-man2003 likes this.
  12. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Off Topic: @Fuzzle Part of competence / skill is how well you adapt to change. Just like in KAG when it doesn't update, you constantly have to adapt your strategy to what the enemy is doing. Doing the same thing over and over in KAG rarely works. So adapting to the changes shouldn't be hard to do if you have skill.

Tern, SirDangalang, Malitha and 2 others like this.
  13. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Imo, players are still playing on a game for several reasons :
    • Cosmetics, achievements (unique player)
    • Fun with others players
    • Challenges (cws, gathers or tournaments aka ESL for example)
    Atm, there is a lack of a real competitive scene. We need some tournaments or leagues for several years. Gather could be really addictive too (like the previous classic gather). There are atm more clans talking than scheduling any real clan war. A ladder system could be interesting.

TeQaS and Fuzzle like this.
  14. Clan wars seem to be more common nowadays and that upcoming tournament

But leveling and achievements are things to work towards

On the scoreboard you can see their level and if you reach a certain level you get a symbol of some sort

Would be cool but I doubt it will get implemented

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@SpideY: I agree that a competitive scene would help with the games longevity, at least at the "oldfag" level. @cameron1010 has been working on a gather system for a while, but got held up afaik. Gather is the format I see working best for KAG, seems like clans are largely incapable of organising any real ongoing events, but getting ten people around for a 5v5 at almost any given moment seems very reasonable.

Gurin and dual_chiecken like this.
  16. i don't think you know what "cute" means
    gather is mostly for old, experienced players. newbies would almost certainly get roflstomped in gather.

i can tell from my own experience, that achievements do help keeping players around for longer. when i bought ace of spades i quickly grew bored and soon i was only playing to unlock as many achievements as possible and move along. but AoS is a shitty game, the more you play it, the more you know it. this is totally inverted in KAG - at first it seems bad, because you are having your ass rekt, but when you are getting better the game is also getting better. if a player buys KAG, but doesnt like at first, he might want to get achievements and be done with it. but in the process he might get better at KAG and like it eventually

17. @Geti
    What do you think about levels?

TeQaS likes this.
  18. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

its how i got into it too XD
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2014 ---
    remember the bit were they said that there wasnt many australian servers

19. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Unban all hackers, trolls, and griefers, disable bans on all servers, and announce it.

20. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Peeps would be "boosting" like no tommorow :eek: