1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Playing KAG with a controller?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lieber, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Everything in the title. Do you think it would be possible and playable?

2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I find it hard... Maybe for going knight only? You need the mouse for building and shooting arrows -although this might be done with a joystic.

3. Lieber

Is it actually possible to configure a controller in the game? I'm sure building can be done through alternative buttons (even though it's not practical).

4. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

I believe it is.

5. Lieber

I should try that out, I've been having trackpad problems that cause me to put spikes everywhere and get kicked. Okay it only happened once.

6. ArpiG

ArpiG Shopkeep Stealer

A good idea but I don't think the devs will do that.This game isn't meant to be played with a controller.

7. Lieber

Yeah I know I was just wondering. I'm sure it's something the players could mod if they were interested.

8. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

This game is built from the ground up to be played with a mouse, it has no built in controller options. I've tried using a 360 USB controller and an external program which allows you to map its buttons to keyboard buttons, doesn't work so well.

My setup was:
    Left joystick - WASD
    A - left click
    B - right click
    Right joystick - mouse

The problem is with the right joystick/mouse. In KAG you rely on being able to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other in a split second in order to face the other direction. With the joystick turning around takes around a whole second, which is completely unbearable.

If the mouse were to snap back to the center of the screen when you release the joystick it might be slightly more bearable, but would still suck.

Another option would be to program the directions on the right joystick to positions on the screen. So that holding right would put the mouse to the right of your character, and left to the left, etc. But these positions would have to be different for archer/knight/builder, and probably wouldn't work for builder at all.

TL;DR - Not worth trying. M&K all the way.

9. Lieber

Thanks a bunch for letting us know, I won't have to try then :)

10. cakeballs12345

cakeballs12345 Catapult Fodder

Been playing KAG with a controller about a month or so now since last configuration and it perfectly fine . I am using an AfterGlow xbox conroller.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  11. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

12. Lieber

A link to switch controls for a controller, nice.

13. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Pretty much : Can you plkay kag with a controller. I asked the question (somwhere on that page) and they replied its possible if your use xpadder or somesort of shit like that :>

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You can do this just fine in Xpadder.

Can it work? Yes
    Can it work well? No

Unfortunately KAG is made around using a mouse, it won't work well on touchpad for this reason and it won't work well ona controller for this reason. This is not a bad thing, it allows KAG to be what it is, it's just something you need to accept if you want to play using a controller.

15. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Why would you want to use a controller? If you have touchpad issues, get a regular mouse. They aren't terribly expensive. Every time I use a controller (Xbox, etc.) I wish I had a mouse. :>:(:

16. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

I tryed, but now I can't move the cursor now. >>'

Need to reinstall the game -_-

17. IrishSmalls

IrishSmalls Bison Rider

Hey is anyone having trouble with the controls? I have a mac, and whenever i switch my building material, it automatically builds blocks. Anyone else with that problem?

18. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider