1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pls remove Cerbero's rift

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PUNK123, May 1, 2016.

?

Is cerbero's rift any good?

1. No

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

pit maps 4 ever. this map is good because pits are fun

Chukka and Magmus like this.
  2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

What I meant with catas reaching the flag coffin is knights getting launched with kegs at hand. From my experience, you can't complete the map just as builder or with builders, usually archers have to deal damage with bomb arrows (to vehicles, to the towers at pits, to the main castle) and knights have to be there necessarily as well.
    It is fun, but it's also a pita when things go bad, I can't deny that.

Magmus likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I'd be lying if i said i didnt have fun on the map in the past, but that doesnt make a good map. Even the worst pubbies can just walk to the front, build a tower, and camp it for a cancerous game. Controll is literally given to you and there isnt a viable way to stop it(except slowly eroding their shit with a cata or some form of explosives). Unless you were to tunnel which i find the worst part of the map anyway

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fairly indicative that the standard response to "I don't like something" is "remove it wholesale". Suggestions for edits and a rationale behind them are much more conducive to discussion than the standard salty demands.

The original intent of this map was to provide the "pit map" experience that people kept asking for while strongly favouring offense once you were across the pit - providing the hill and letting you shell the crap out of their base is intended, because otherwise ime pits always lead to lengthy stalemates.

The map has had a few community edits, honestly I'm not a fan of most of them. Initially, there was much less provision for rats tunneling (hella bedrock), and no middle "landing zone" (so harder for rats to get over and less support for your bridge); that said the edits to the top of the mountain to make it easier to move on are welcome.

I'll give it a pass over, make ratting less of an option and probably rework the flag area. The game snowballing is totally intended though; one of my least favourite things is 20 50 minute death by attrition because of an easily defended flag.

E: thoughts?

[​IMG]
    • No pit under flag (moved closer to base to help building)
    • Ratting at mid severely hampered (have to dig up)
    • Shorter bridges on the wall ruins.
    • One more tree per team.
    • Simplified gold distribution (only one clump available pre-match, "first" in-match gold visible and closer to flags, removed some of the "rat gold")
    Considered sticking a (wooden) bridge over the gap to facilitate early aggression more, but a builder with 100wood can do just as good a job tbh and it leaves the early game more open, so I think I'll keep it like it currently is, feedback pending.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Redshadow6, Osmal, makmoud98 and 6 others like this.
  5. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Looks good!

6. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I think it'd be cool to see remnants of a bridge in the middle, that you could use to parkour over to the other side and make building a bridge faster. It also encourages quick building and utilization of the environment :D

Also I think encouraging tunneling diagonally would be cool. I don't think I've ever seen a map that has done that and I know for a fact that nobody within their right mind would setup a diagonal tunnel, as it's very difficult to defend and hard to travel around.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. PUNK123

Well yea it isnt a mechanic it is a map, and there are a ton of them for kag. Why wouldnt someone who dislikes a specific map want it removed? When talking to people i found some who strongly disliked it and some who really liked it. Maybe I'm alone in the opinion that a giant barrier(the pit) is the actual unfun part, because of
    Which is exactly what ive been whining about
    This probably would ruin the map, but i remember how bc made his pitmap playable on his flatmaps, he added dirt backwall. A line of it across his pit to make it so one side couldnt just "break both ends and gg more stale"

8. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yes, just yes.

9. PUNK123

Also after playing another crap game on the map today i found that the rat hole isnt really that bad. Granted, i hate that it is automatically given to the enemies, so what if you just made a path for the team to go thru the rathole adding more depth and a different way to play(still have to play arround the shitpit for all you sadistic weirdos).
    something like
    CerberosRift.png
    just makes more sense to me

10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

also, why was
    fellere's Four Rivers added to the mapcycle again...?

11. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

because it is best!

EhRa likes this.
  12. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

i always liked this map and the 4 rivers one

13. PUNK123

4 rivers is alittle big but other than that it is aight. General kag pub rule: water makes everything much worse. As for the pit map i havent been playing kag much so i havent had to deal with it but i stand by my statement that the gimmick gets old quick. Personally id like smaller leaner maps for official. The only (relatively)small ones in the pool is the dragon map and that one tunnel one right? Granted the dragon one is literally just a troll at mid. Not only is there platforms and sharks under them when you gain controll of mid, but if you get past that there are mines. It's like wtf all that useless bedrock and you have to make mid shit. Gimmicks are bad;end of story.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Generally agree, but I see the gap less as a gimmick and more of a unique feature that fosters different strategies. It's not the same bullshit as a bison near tent ("lol ded builders haha" - apparently the map author, 2016) or free mines at mid or whatever, because it has a lasting affect on the game.

That said, 4 rivers is bad imho because it has the standard KAG stalemate pattern of hills to defend, with bonus water to defend even more. I like that it's super wide and you get that "old KAG" sprawling battlefield feel, but I don't like that it's a 1 hour war of attrition followed by nextmap vote.

Clev likes this.
  15. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

You call 1 hour bad, look at my map pack its got maps that lasted till the server crashed 48 hours later, but they were actually fun

16. AJFaas

AJFaas Base Burner
    1. supr sekrit cln [skrt]

a month or so i joined a server that had one team building this massive base on one part of the map. it literally stretched from the beginning to like slightly over the middle over the map. The server had to restart eventually because of lag. But that shit looked dope!

Also for fun maps for everyone I think you just need to respect certain rules like; Having a common ground, no preexisting tunnels to make the life of rats even easier, and multiple flags, to name a few. If you dont respect every class in every map, youre gonna piss off a few other groups. And as much as geti wants you to enjoy every class in its own right, that doesnt mean that every aspect of each class can be enjoyable to everyone. so you cant really force people to like a certain class that doesnt fit their play style and their perception of fun, so its useless to punish players for it.

17. PUNK123

Water is a pit in my book. I dont think we'll ever see eye to eye on the pit map but for 4 rivers i think it really does work when you have more than 5 players per team. Atleast on that map you have different avenues you can take that the enemy team has to defend and nothing is just handed to you.

18. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

Yeah, in this map it catered to both, it was a 1028 block wide map or some shit like that and it was 80% void it was just a massive mid with nothing but dirt backwall

19. PUNK123

Trekobius_DragonsLair.png
    Bad flag location, Terrible flag access for team, Terrible mid, Gimmicky, ect.

20. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

[​IMG]

That mid of the map is so fucking awkward it's ridiculous.

PUNK123 likes this.