1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

TDM CTF TTH Post accepted maps criticism here

Discussion in 'Maps for the Official KAG Servers' started by Mazey, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Post constructive criticism for accepted maps here. Example template you should somewhat stick to:
    Map name (find this in Base/Maps/%Gamemode%/Community):
    Issue 1:
    :blank:Reason 1:
    Issue 2:
    :blank:Reason 2:

2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Map name Punk123_AntQueen
    Issue 1: Unexpected flooding of mid(from people digging the spawn water all the way to mid).
    Reason 1: Not sure what to put for reasons.

Punk123_AntQueen.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Fuzzle and an_obamanation like this.
  3. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

I think for the reason, you need to put why the issue is an issue. In this case, the water floods the whole map and ruins the game. (tho i like flooded maps),

Vamist likes this.
  4. Kazaco97

Kazaco97 Bison Rider Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Map Name: ffsff_ClassicWar2
    Issue 1: Map creates too many stalemates
    Reason: Bedrock prevents all tunneling; Middle of map just gets kegged repeatedly (no real advantage)
    In-game Pic:
    20161101184552_1.jpg

Map Name:
    Mazey_Rioter
    Issue 1: Map may be a bit too tall
    Reason: Collapse of tall towers result in server slowdown; Can just cata over to the other base

Fuzzle, BarsukEughen555, 4zK and 7 others like this.
  5. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

(Before entering in details) Main concern of all the new maps, except for AntKing and AntQueen, is they're senselessly tall (base towers with catas/ballistas with enemy base at reach / camping). I mean I don't find a good reason for them to have this height (for making tall towers for using catas and ballistas for stalemates? No thanks, I'd rather skip the map)
    Map name Underhangpit2
    Issue/reason: Mid area is no man's land; anything built there will be easily destroyed from flag-castle tower. This means frustration when trying to attack Face to Face as defenses at mid last nothing, and an army of archers can be camping at that cliff tower. Also, the shape of the map, tunnels and wide areas below the general horizont makes ratting quite the best option, leading to a very annoying counter-gameplay (dealing with rats constantly).

Map name Hillo
    Issue/reason
    : The focus of interest on the mid part is quite below the horizont line, meaning it's mostly an area for builders to dig and conquer, which means at the same time dealing with rats often. Despite this I believe ratting should always be a possibility in my opinion and bedrock shouldn't kill freedom as it does in Hillo and in ClassicWar2 on the other hand. Also this map reminds me of Ej_map, and I don't recall playing it lately, was it out of rotation? Ej_map is a classic.

Vamist likes this.
  6. PUNK123

Yea i didnt bother to make a post here for alienfrog(because all that needed to be done was lowering the sky)

Ej_map, the one with the three flags and floodable mid right?, has been out of the rotation for months. Also not sure about the bedrock suggestions but there is definitely an issue with Hillo.

7. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Map name ffsffClassicWar2, an_obamananationAlientAntAssault
    Issue/reason: both maps have a smaller issue that really bugs me sometimes especially during the build phase and that is the unnecessary amount of trees, they get in the way with building, they can be annoying when playing archer sometimes and they are in general just a pain, ffsffSecludedForest also suffers from this but I guess since its a forest it can be forgiven.

an_obamanation likes this.
  8. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

May I ask which trees you are referring to? If you're talking about the trees that are right next to the flag, those are done to intentionally be a bother. It's so building around the flags takes more time, making the initial power struggle more interesting and to (at least in my weird brain anyway) lead to less stalemates.

In terms of specific trees I see them mostly around the middle, as these are the trees you're most likely not going to be able to cut down. I did some gorilla style ms painting (Please forgive me, i'm on a touchpad and on a very small computer) to show the trees i'm talking about. BLUE = Intended to be a bit of a bother and I view as completely fine. RED = Most likely bad. YELLOW = Potentially bad, i'm mainly seeing this because of their proximity to the red trees.

upload_2016-12-11_15-49-16.png

The two trees I left blank are just material trees, so I really don't see how they'd be an annoyance in any way, but that's likely my narrow-mindedness coming into play. ::)::thumbs_up:

l3afysamz and mcrifel like this.
  9. mcrifel

1. MIST

The yellow ones and the middle red ones are quite annoying, the other red ones are fine and maybe remove one of the blue trees. Sorry this might be a bit confusing but im not on my main computer so can't circle them for you.

an_obamanation likes this.
  10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Map name Potatobird_SharkRomance

Issue 1: The flags are too close to the tent
    :blank:Reason 1: Because fuck stalemates - this makes them too easy to defend
    Issue 2: Needs a little more bedrock here and there
    :blank:Reason 2: Because fuck people who dig all the dirt they possibly can and make the game some kind of rock-climbing competition

I made some changes to deal with those problems and others.
    Changes:
    - Moved tent back to the hill
    - Moved flags forward a little
    - Made map more easily navigable in general
    - Slightly reduced ceiling
    - put on ur hat
    - etc.

sharkhats.PNG
    screen-17-02-19-15-50-48.png

Thoughts?

franek123 and Fuzzle like this.
  11. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Nice changes. Hats are unbalanced tho. I suggest making them the same. I know it will make them less swaggy but that's the price of balance.
    I also think 3 flags is too much. I would get rid of the highest placed one.

Fuzzle likes this.
  12. Potatobird

Hm, and one of the flags was the wrong color. Fixed.

I get your concern about the uneven hats, but 1) I am very reluctant to part from my artistic vision and 2) I figured two little wood structures are going to make very little difference even in the first half minute of the game, and no difference at all in the rest of the game, as they're likely to just get burnt or built over - and I made sure both hats have the same dirt pattern so that both sides will be even later in the game.

However, I did make the flower hat a little taller so that it's just one block shorter than the top hat (but still rounded), and the top hat has 2 grains behind it to match the 2 flowers on the red side hat. Is that enough do you suppose?

As for the third flag, I guess it might help to take it off, but I think the middle flags are forward and easy enough to not really "count" as flags, if that makes sense - it doesn't feel like too much to me. Also it's kind of nice to have a 3-flag map or two in the rotation imo. Some more opinions on that would be nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    franek123 likes this.
  13. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Map name: Pressurecooker
    Issue: Exploitable
    Reason: Since the sides are made of dirt players who are at spawn can just dig away at it and make it so they won't drown when the water comes out, this can easily be fixed If the dirt was changed into stone. I'm also pretty sure (not 100% though) that you can rapidly switch between archer and knight to avoid drowning, again, not 100% but I believe I've seen people messing with that. It at least makes you drown at a slower rate.

l3afysamz and Fuzzle like this.
  14. Potatobird

I believe Geti already fixed that

Fuzzle and makmoud98 like this.
  15. PUNK123

not fixed, now people abuse breathing reset from class swap, then slash the edge of the map to get an air pocket.

Kazaco97 likes this.
  16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm consistently amazed at how dedicated people are at ruining their own fun, haha.

I should really just make it all bedrock but it just feels like such a crappy, static thing to build the map from - probably doesn't matter around spawn though. Would love screenshots of the problem points. Will stick the air reset on class swap on the list.

Seriously flabbergasted that anyone would bother though, haha.

17. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

My goal with the ClassicWar map was to re-create, well, the classic war experience. I think the main issue resides with the WAR mode itself: it had tickets, which was a way to create a meaningful stalemate that would eventually have a winner. That's why in the current CTF, the stalemates will last forever until they are broken or people vote for a new map.

18. PUNK123

im 98% sure that without the air reset on class swap the air pocket wouldnt be able to be created, because it takes slashing 8 dirt blocks to create.

Also while im here: Punk123_AntQueen.png

antqueen really shouldnt have water as flooding was never intended and it really just makes the map derpy.

franek123 likes this.
  19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Both Added under Community/Mar17 in next build.

Not sure why we're keeping around old versions of maps but I've kept doing that for this time around. Thanks for the fixes.

20. mcrifel

1. MIST

Map name: mcrifel_steppes
    Issues: too much dirt underground for tunneling and ratting, too much gold near the spawns, too little stone underground, plus some smaller issues like the floating piece of grass.

new version:

mcrifel_Steppes.png

- slightly lower sky
    - more bedrock at the middle + more stone underground especially under the spawns with a bonus chest if you can find it.
    - a bunch of gold moved towards the middle
    - small minor fixes

In the end this should cause less stalemates and more enjoyable matches.

Asu, Biurza, franek123 and 1 other person like this.