1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

TDM CTF TTH Post accepted maps criticism here

Discussion in 'Maps for the Official KAG Servers' started by Mazey, Oct 31, 2016.

1. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

@Mazey please update map that Joop sent. It's a good map.

Biurza likes this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Link it here, I'll do it next build assuming it's nothing too crazy.

3. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

It is in the last post of the previous page

EDIT:

here it is again to save trouble:
    mcrifel_Steppes.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Geti and Biurza like this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Oh, I didn't connect the names. Sure thing.

5. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Also on a side note, no offence to mazey but the mapcycle is in a very poor state at the moment, also there haven't been any new accepted maps recently. It might be good to have someone else do the map accepting.

On another side note, me and Franek have been working on improving the mapcycle, fixing mistakes in current maps, removing a few entirely and adding a few new ones including bringing back old fixed classics. It should be done tomorrow.

Geti and franek123 like this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Hillo has to go imho, it just isnt a good map and doesnt have any interesting features to make it worthy of being kept. Beyond that, i would suggest a simple flip for @SJD360 's overdose map. Just to have blue on the left and red on the right(so that it follows with the teamswapping feature ingame). I have other issues but i think these 2 are the least contraversial

mcrifel and Biurza like this.
  7. I want tiny maps back

8. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

PUNK123 likes this.
  9. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

Map name: SkyFortHiggins
    Issue 1: Exploitable camp spot
    :blank:Reason 1:
    BicalGRO.jpg

If you get set up in here it becomes practically impossible to hit you.

Issue 2: Exploitable camp spot

Reason 2:
    Bad maep.png

You can cause the platform i'm standing on to fall and jump to the one on the right, making it impossible for knights to kill you and difficult for archers. Even without collapsing this platform though it's still very difficult to get to the right when someones on it without them whacking you off.

Recommendation:

Use SkyfortHiggins.png this version

mcrifel and l3afysamz like this.
  10. Lava

Lava Former Lag King Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Really I don't see it as a big problem, if the game lasts too long people next map it or the timer makes it a tie. I wouldn't change anything about that kag-soldat map

11. an_obamanation

If pressurecooker had to be changed because of people camping in the water then this map needs to be fixed because of these camping spots, as they're abused more commonly than you'd think.

My changes also really don't influence how the map is played other than removing two obnoxious camping areas. In all my time spent playing TDM nobody has used either of these areas in a manner that isn't to antagonize the server.

12. Lava

An easy fix is to have an archer on the team

13. an_obamanation

Even archers have an insane amount of difficulty killing people in these spots and can just as easily be whacked to death or given an ez jab to cancel their triple shot. The majority of people who use the spots (Spot one in particular) are knights and can block the arrows (a shotgun is also really hard to perform properly in these situations.

I don't know why you're so opposed to a camping spot fix for this map. This does nothing but benefit TDM players who want to get their matches moving.

l3afysamz and mcrifel like this.
  14. Lava

Because the whole point of the map is to be just like the soldat map, changing something like that platform would mess it up (for me), I think a better solution than just getting rid of it is to make it harder to collapse

15. an_obamanation

Functionality comes before the soldat nod, I'd rather have a higher quality mapcycle with less camping spots than have it be exactly like a map from a completely different game. It's a KAG map and therefore should follow KAG's gameplay and adapt to it.

Making it harder to collapse doesn't solve the camping issue, all it does is make it so that knights have a chance to get on the platform. Which is easily negated by the fact that the knight on the platform can just whack them off. (Also if you look at my edit I don't get rid of that collapsible platform, I just get rid of the one right below the floating islands which is the actual source of the problem.)

I've only edited around 14 blocks. Does that really completely change the maps resemblance in any way significant?

l3afysamz and mcrifel like this.
  16. PUNK123

Not every map in the cycle needs to be high quality and i think the point lava was really making was that the artistic value of the map is much more important than camper-proofing. I kinda have to agree with that for your second point because the left is perfectly fine(only 4 blocks to cross to get to the floating area), while the right is too far apart. The real fix would be to move it closer but that would ruin the uneven aspect of the map. There's also things like underground grappling camping from archers that are 10x easier and more annoying for players to deal with. Here is my example that will ring this point home:

GurinTDM1.png

Camping the top on this map ruins the game, but the main selling point of the map is the cool trampoline rush/fight to the top. If someone camps the map is ruined, just like with skyforthiggins, but if you change it you are changing what makes the map cool. Completely removing those underspawn spots would remove an aspect of skyforthiggins that makes it what it is(an artistic aspect). As for the change to the little campzone for issue one, that edit is small enough where it solves a problem but doesnt remove a main feature of the map.
    The justification for this change is relevant to GurinTDM1. Im not interesting in removing a cool feature just because it can be heavily abused, if it has some value. Players arent really op in the island under spawn, the aggressor there is just at a disadvantage. That is an iffy aspect but it isnt inherently terrible.

yes it does, all that hanging dirtbackwall will just look stupid and tdm players will immediately notice what is missing.

17. an_obamanation

At least we can both agree on this one. While I still think that the second spot should be changed it's not that big a deal to me and I can see that you guys do care about those areas (for whatever reason.) so I'll let it go. BUT the first one is a no no, and has to go go.

New map that keeps the platforms: SkyfortHiggins.png

Lava and Ni like this.
  18. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

idk the proper place to say this but can it be mandatory for map posts to include in-game pics.
    We are meant to be judging maps based on their look in-game, aren't we?

19. PUNK123

No, on how they'll play. That can be done through .png

20. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Sorry I meant to refer just to the look of it. Let me rephrase:
    Aside from how they play, aren't we meant to judge maps based on their look in-game rather than from their .png? Therefore, shouldn't it become mandatory for posts to include in-game screenshots?