1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-built map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snow, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It doesn't play nice with fall damage :p

2. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

@Thorn - I played your map last night on the Test server, and It was certainly interesting, but really doesn't play well with the new mechanics, I.E.; falling damage. The map feels too straightforward and directing. I would love to see some more cave levels, except more open air like a cavern. The map is basically perfect for builders. A single builder could plod about the map by himself and do just fine; placing and removing ladders/blocks as necessary. If you don't play as a builder, things are really difficult (most areas of the map aren't even arrow ladder friendly). Although it is very fun to explore.

I think the map's idea is nice, but would be much better if it was more like the bottom left corner. Of course, I've only played this on the test version with the new features in place.

3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I like a lot of the new prebuilt maps, but I think that server owners have gone way overboard with the amount of their inclusion. I think they're great for flavour, but the main stay should be normal flat maps. And you know what? There are no more flat maps. It's all spiky valley this, 200 tile high mountain that, and I feel like I'm fighting the map not the enemy. The biggest offender of this, I think is Thorn's recent map. You only have the tiniest amount of room your own base. I mean Thorn I think your cool, your first map is still my favourite map ever, but I thought half the fun of this game is the part where you build a base and your enemies knock it down. I mean your map is interesting and I'd like to play it sometimes, but it shouldn't be the only map in the cycle. It shouldn't even be there more than half the time, more than 20% of the time, IMO.

Does anyone else feel this way? I don't want to have to overcome to same stupid boobie mountains or the same 30 tile wide valley of doom before I get to actually face my opponents. I want to do my best to fight around and overcome the obstacles my enemies have put up for me.

I mean it's cool if everyone likes crazy prebuilt maps and I'm just a lunatic, but anyways this is my opinion just throwing it out there.

4. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

I half-agree with you Contra, I'm getting really tired of the generic valley-mountain-valley sort of maps. I think a good compromise would be to have several more, significantly smaller, mountains and pits randomly but evenly jutted around the map. This way builders still tend to build fortifications where the environment suits them, but not on top of a 200 tile high mountain or things like that. And the custom maps need to be in rotation a little less, I've played Towers of Gold so many times now that if i end up on a server playing it I just leave now.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm aiming on getting some better map generation code with smaller, more interesting features in there over the next few weeks around other work. Have a look at that map I posted before for an example of what a "large" map feature would look like - ~128x128 tiles with multiple paths through it. I think that's likely to be a lot more fun than a linear map with some kinks in it.

6. Thorn

Thorn Guest

It is ironic that whenever I built a large and detailed map, it ends up becoming obsolete as soon as it's tested. Yes, I can imagine fall damage makes the Catacombs not a lot of fun!

I guess I should start building maps with the TEST version in mind instead of the current version.

Thanks for the feedback guys. FYI, it is not my decision to have my maps run constantly. Even I don't want to replay a single map (even my own) over and over again.

I'll work on a new map soon and I'll try to incorporate the latest content.