1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with water combat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueLuigi, Jun 16, 2012.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Here I'll detail some things that just piss me off about water combat, things that make defending too easy that even a retard can defend against more and FAR superior players in skill due to the mechanics of fighting in water.

1)Arrows doing damage after entering water, they shouldn't. They should do damage even at max at ONE tile in the water max, so that if you are deeper than that you aren't taking damage.
    2)Swimming up top should not give you indefinite breath but should refill it at a pace that keeps it steady so that you can cross large bodies of water without drowning but also have a problem dealing with archers and such above
    3)Slashing into the water shouldn't work as deep and strong as it does not, as it is now someone 3 tiles under the water can be full slashed into and instantly killed. Slashing into water should do less damage than normal and also not go so deep.
    4)Shooting while underwater shouldn't be as OP

As it stands right now you can literally make a nice big slab with archer spots to shoot down/medium distance but protect you from shots to the other side

Example:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not good at archer stuff so it's a very base example, deal with it

With something like this picking off anyone coming near you in the water is a breeze.
    People in the water move slowly and are easy targets, have to subject themselves to arrows as we don't have canopy or any other such thing that may help shield from arrows above. You can't dive deep without some way to extend your breath or 'buy' more (HINT shop HINT) and as it is the way you lose HP/breath you need quarters right next to each other pretty much to survive and that's only if healing is FREE which it shouldn't be.

2. CoughDrop

CoughDrop KAG Guard Tester

Boats will be good at fixing this, but I don't know how they will hold up to archer fire. If they're going to be as strong as catapults, I'm going to have way too much fun when they come out.

Still, I really think the water mechanics need some major tweaking. I'd like to see archers unable to shoot while in water and an increase in swimming speed for all classes. Not so sure about the inability for archers to shoot through the water. I agree that it should be nerfed, but 1 tile penetration seems a bit too low.

riseoflegends and Noburu like this.
  3. qaq456

qaq456 Catapult Fodder

I agree with most of what you think but, I think falling arrows should do damage(just one heart).

4. BlueLuigi

'just one heart' is overpowered as hell. Doing damage more than 1 tile from the base allows archers to continuouslyshoot almost min arrows at someone and rape them if they're in the water. Being above they are perfectly safe as well.

Another thing I'd like to point out that irks the ever living shit out of me is how the more and more you drown the worse and worse movement is. Movement is already atrociously slow to the point where only a retarded archer could miss you if you are swimming, slowing it down worsea nd worse as you get farther is just terrible, there have been so many times where I am down to 1 heart and have everything ready to get out but because I'm not on ladders my guy will simply NOT move up, AT ALL so I drown without actually having deserved it. This in turn leads to a constant sense of false victory that is depressing as hell. "Hahaha I cleared out all the guys, dove under and pierced their underwater doors.. what's this sorcery?! I can't move anymore because I'm drowning even faster?! Despite me being 1 tile under the water and there being a ledge I can clearly climb in any other condition right there? Well I sure hope he doesn't repair it before I get back from respawning".

The worst part is that your character actually does the movement to climb it but it is so slow that if you are in the drowning state you can start at 3 hearts and continue that climb over that tile edge until you are at 0 hearts and still not make it.

bandit4, Madoka, JacKD and 1 other person like this.
  5. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I think breathing near the surface really needs to happen amongst other things, the speed of movement is surely enough of a compromise and you should be able to duck underwater to avoid taking so much damage from arrows at the expense of losing your breath, that seems fair enough to me. Perhaps if you drew breath a little slower in open water then on land then it wouldn't be so overbearing, otherwise it'd help builder bridge too quickly perhaps because building supports would be piss easy. The reduced movement thing is sort of cool but far too overstated, I think I'd quite like to see it stay as it is, but just have some sort of increase in movement when your touching a solid surface, so if your drowning underwater in the middle of a lake then you should probably struggle, however if you had a ledge next to you or underneath you, you should be able to walk across the bed of the lake/grasp the edge of a surface to help you up to increase your speed, something that might be good to increase your manoeuvrability overall.

lehoon likes this.
  6. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Shopkeep Stealer

If archers aren't allowed to shoot while they are in water, then knights shouldn't be able to swing there sword while in water, and builders shouldn't be able to build while underwater. NO!
    The archers bow is his main weapon, so making it impossible to use it underwater is like taking away the knights sword.

I also think the swimming speeds need to be adjusted, archers should be faster than builders and builders should be faster than knights.
    And the slashing trick that makes a knight move faster than a motorboat on a river rapid should also be removed, how can one big armoury tank even swim to the surface, they should sink to the bottom I say!

Moral of post: Don't complain over some advantages of some classes and ask for nerfs when you don't even see that your 'knight' has advantages too.

The reason this hasn't been brought up is because the archers are too busy improving their skill to be better than whine about dumb things the other classes can do

7. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Bow =/= Harpoon

8. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Dawn, most people here play the classes as and when required, and only a small minority stick to one, nevermind be a fucking fanboy about that particular class. Obviously alot of players will probably play one more then others, but the vast majority want a balanced game really. The knight can slash in water, but if it can;t get out the fucking water cos they're been peppered by archers then what good is that? Also for the record, as I've been recently enlightened, plate armour isn't nearly as heavy as it's made out to be for the most part, I doubt swimming in it's much fun but you wouldn't sink like a rock anyway.

Contrary likes this.
  9. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Great, so archers can shoot while leaping from tree to tree (even in midair), while running, while climbing, and, you propose, while swimming. There would be no fucking escape from their machine gun bows. No thanks. The abilities of an archer make him ideal for defense, so an archer that jumps into a pool of knights deserves to die.

Rayne, Worm, GloriousToast and 2 others like this.
  10. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

I agree with this. It's pretty annoying when you jump in the water to quickly pick off an enemy knight, then swim underwater to reach the entrance to your base and can't get up because the ladder is half a tile out of reach.

Another aspect of water combat I dislike is the power of catapults. They are pretty much game winners at this point; the team with the tower of catapult batteries set up can destroy any attempts at an attack with big casualty infliction. They encourage camping, as it isn't worthwhile attacking with 3 catapults flinging stones onto your head from above.

I know siege workshops are disabled by default in the current build (or they were an update ago), but every water server seems to have re-enabled them, and I can't see how the devs could change the effectiveness of the catapult/other siege weapons in a water scenario. Hopefully boats make attacking much easier.

Also, is the flood supposed to rise so suddenly at the end of a round? Seems to defeat the purpose a bit. Everyone just anticipates it and heads up into their purpose-built flood tower when the time is near. The only people punished are newbs or airheads like myself. I find it slows up the endgame needlessly and doesn't add anything to gameplay. Maybe that would change if it became a gradual rise in water level and boats were introduced.

EDIT: Re-reading that I know I sound like a whiner; keep in mind that I still enjoy the water feature despite its few flaws.

lehoon and BlueLuigi like this.
  11. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Shopkeep Stealer

Bombs =/= Air propulsion device, but it is a feature, like an archers arrow.

Your point of a balanced game is making archers useless in water, making knights more deadly then they already are, let me point out the pros and cons of each class:
    Archer
    Pros:
    Ranged, can kill enemies form a distance
    Has the longest oxygen meter of all classes
    Can climb using arrows
    Can climb trees
    Cons:
    Only 2 hearts
    Slower than the knight in the water
    Arrows deplete

Knight
    Pros:
    Master of melee
    Has deadly bombs at his disposal
    Can Bombjump
    Can destroy every block except Bedrock and Bricks
    Fastest in the water
    Can jump higher(slash jump)
    Can Glide
    Cons:
    Has least oxygen of all classes
    'defenseless' against 2+ archers who synced their shots
    Whines about arrows damaging them in water

Now, you are telling me that even though knights are superior in many ways, that archers are OP? No, they are not, they are just more skilled then you in their area of skills, and you can't stand that they perfectly time their shots to murder knights, cause it is 'unfair' and 'unbalanced' as you say.

Archers have already been nerfed because of complaints, they have to draw their arrows first, and, arrows with a speed of 1(slowest) in water does no damage at all, so i don't understand how you can struggle with killing them, knights have shields, use them. People shouldn't complain about a skilled archer that times his shots right.

I play as knight, builder and archer, and i do not think that archers shouldn't be able to shoot people while they are in the water, or be able to damage them when the shoot into the water, because that is what the were made for. This game is based around teamwork and strategy, they use strategy to place themselves in the most deadly position to kill enemies, and they use teamwork to kill blocking knights.
    I suggest you people do the same, a archer cant defend himself against a GOOD knight accompanied by a GOOD builder, use that to your advantage. Also, archers can't dig through anything besides dirt, so tunneling also nullifies their advantage.

But that is just my point, if Geti and MM want to nerf archers AGAIN, they can. Archers will just find more strategies to kill. Simple as that.

Vaugen likes this.
  12. BlueLuigi

Your pros and con list is shit, and knights have been nerfed many more times than archers are, even wih the most recent nerf, it's not even a good nerf it's just silly, they still NEED the nerf, it just needs to be different, but please take that to the relevant thread.

This is about water, and water right now archers own, they do decent in water, they OWN from water to land, and can own from water front to land, and can also get out of water easier (arrow climbing), not to mention they have the most fucking air (Why they have that much more than builder is beyond me)
    BTW archers honestly shouldn't even be able to draw underwater but whatever.

lehoon, SARGRA13, Rayne and 7 others like this.
  13. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

say a knight and an archer were in the water, the archer would win as all they had to is spam arrows and if the knights tries to shield they would sink like a stone
    also scenario like this:
    :noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu:
    :noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::bridge::bridge::sword::bridge::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu:
    :noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu::noburu:
    can anyone get out like this?
    i god damn can't and it pisses me off, is this a glitch or lag?

14. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Just get boats.
    From the video on the dev blog there seems to be the option of putting different things on them.
    So instead of a sail we might be able to put on a catapult or a roof.

Or clog the entire lake up with boats till they make a bridge.

Either way an organized attack will become much easier and effective.

riseoflegends likes this.
  15. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Relevant I guess, although you might counter to say that it's a totally different bow.

also relevant I guess

ockpii, AJ, BlueLuigi and 3 others like this.
  16. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

that is sweet!

17. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The cuttlefish supports BLs idea of only having arrows do damage at 1 blcok depth.

Not sure if the first video can be put into KAG. The elastic on that bow is more waterproof than what was used on medieval ones.

18. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

When boats come out, I hope to god they won't take damage from arrows. The way forts develop in water-crossing games, the amount of spam would be ridiculous and destroy a large target like a boat within seconds. I already think it's absolutely silly that arrows can make workshops explode (and, technically, catapults. But in that case it MIGHT be a good measure for balance, IF THE HITBOXES WEREN'T SO SCREWED UP). Anyway, I think it would suffice that the occupants are vulnerable to arrows.

bandit4 likes this.
  19. BlueLuigi

Bowfishing is never done from within the water, and even then we use compound bows much stronger than what an archer of the time period KAG is set in would have access to, so I doubt they'd be bowfishing more than a few inches deep in the water at that point in time if they did any bowfishing at all!

Yea sling bows are totally different too. Now I wouldn't mind if an archer had to choose an either or like he could switch out his bow for one that does more damage, once we get an 'inventory' and scripting or hell just the ability to change weapon sprite (probably needs to redo entire body sprite on the shop and consider it a new class) we can have archers that can swap out and choose between say a regular bow, and a sling bow, since it's something simple enough that while they might not have had it in that time that we know of (I'm not sure haven't done research) it was most likely possible.

I've never seen or heard of someone using an old style bow to bowfish, but I guess I'll give it a google again and a looks around to see what I can find.

20. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

It seems to be that archers are able to fire underwater in KAG simply because they have no other form of attack. I mean, if they could even so much as punch someone, then I would see it as fairly ok not to have access to the bow underwater,but at this stage it's just kind of necessary.