1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Progress, setbacks, boats and ropes.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

All that you've posted sounds wonderful, Geti; but I confess the words "no notching" conjures up in my mind a KAG without Parkour--or at least a KAG where moving about is a hellva lot harder. Notching is vital if you're stuck in a hole and there's no wood, or competent builder, about. Could you please give a little detail surrounding the removal on notches? I understand that removing teamdoor ladders is a deeply necessary move, but the thought of being stuck on the battle field just because I can't notch-climb out of a hole is scary... :(

Monsteri and Ghozt like this.
  2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Notches could be just made inefficient, and other ways of getting over things buffed. See ladders, their range was buffed and now they actually get used again. Not being able to notch out of a hole is scary indeed (maybe it could be just slow?), and I am afraid that a lot of the challenge with the manouvres will be lost. Please at least keep vaulting :(

All the other stuff is way awesome though, I can't wait to see the test build patch ^W^

Ghozt likes this.
  3. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

I like monsteri's idea of slower climbing, but if notching was to be taken out, I guess that would reinforce the need for more frontline builders with them using to always be placing trap doors and ladders everywhere.

It would also change the way buildings are built and how people play. No more scaling the sides of an abyss starting from a block missing, only a fall.

RTDM would also become limited along with jump maps.

Also, some of these boar ideas sound drastic, some eight man eighty foot boat with the works. I think to he'll with that, let me build my own boats, then I could customize places to put things; if chests could ever hold equipment or mats,- box boat with a shop in the middle. I don't know if an idea like this could be coded, some type if algorithm would have to take place.
    X=amount of blocks touching th water
    X needs to be atleast one third of the amount of blocks above the waterline, that would give the ability to make boats with cool designs and what not.
    I'm nit a coder so that may not be am idea ever plausible, probaly to late now, maybe some coders might attempt?

~sent from my iPod

4. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

It's also part of kag's identity for me, I'd love it to disappear for an in depth war mode, but I hope it's gonna be server side so you can still have arcadey fuck abouts with all the stupid jumping about we already have, would be a shame to see it go entirely. Would imagine that's the plan though, and they'll make it a server side option.

lukepop and Ghozt like this.
  5. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Don't take out notching guys! I like teamdoor ladders! Makes it hard for enemies to get up.... don't take em out! T ^T

Worm and superpokes like this.
  6. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

No! Keep notching! You will ruin all the parkour maps! Why doesn't anyone think of the parkour maps!

7. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

woohoo, its a floating piecawood. fy call the beavers. they fucked up their dam.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I love the idea of taking out notching, it's something that should have been done a long time ago- in fact was done but was reverted because too much kneejerk reaction to change. The kind of towers that currently rule KAG are stupid as hell, think about it. We're making super thin, super tall towers with the bottom half of doors embedded in them, and we can somehow use this as a ladder. What the hell?

To make this change truly effective I think we'll need additional deterrents to vertical building, though. Old habits will be hard to break and even more importantly, vertical building will still be effective. Drawbridge ladders will definitely need to go, and maybe vertical building limits of some sort? Buildings topple over if not sufficiently wide?

9. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

I thought that could be done using the builder_blocks.cfg file (the "require h/v" columns) but that does nothing... is that a bug or am I misunderstanding their purpose?

10. Villekille707

Villekille707 Shipwright

If I understood correctly, notching is the thing where you climb walls with the help of the 1 block holes in the wall. I can't be my usual one man knight army, if it gets taken out. :( Then I'd always need the help of builders. Well then the enemy shall fear the threat from above. *lights a bomb*. ;)

11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yes, I agree, but the problem is that knights would become somewhat immobile, and they'd have trouble getting every smallest pit out. Well, since this is for full version only.. Let it come. Let's see how it affects the game.

To take drawbridge ladders out, they could just collide with us like they used to. Without notching you wouldn't be able to use them as notching team-only ladders either.

Contrary likes this.
  12. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

After re-reading when less hungover then previous, it seems that notching should remain in game if server owners want to use it from what I can gather from this bit of post. No notching for your more slow paced, long haul war modes with all the teching up involved, but notching in f2p and when server owners want to use it, seems from the last bit of the post that they should have a fair few physics variables to fuck about with which'll make for some interesting servers.

superpokes likes this.
  13. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I just want goddamn doors to be effective, they're like paper if you have 4+ knights slashing at it.
    They'll be needed when notching is out.

if you actually would read, it's staying for every other mode besides WAR mode, so..

Ghozt, Noburu and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  14. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

You don't have to remove notching entirely. Just make teamdoors unable to open unless a player is able to fit in all the way, and teamdoor ladders will cease to function. But the movement is currently perfect, IMO, and is what makes KAG unique. Notching in particular.

Contrary and KnightGabe13 like this.
  15. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

At the risk of being an idiot, I don't understand exactly what war mode is.

16. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

If it makes you feel any better, neither do I. I think it's where you all start out builders, and you can't change classes at the tent, only the outpost. Which you need gold ore for.

17. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

So, it's a bit like zombie modes class/workshop system, but team deathmatch objectives? Will it include water/wood?

18. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

Yeeeup, that's the gist of it. Only I think it's more like ctf than tdm.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Jesus I wish people would stop posting authoritatively about things that we dont even know yet.

Notching and the old movement will stay in classic. Current jump maps will still function in classic mode.
    New movement, with ramps and angle dependent jumping will be in the full version of the game. This opens up new kinds of parkour and the ability to go very fast. Race maps will actually be interesting because with high momentum you can make much larger gaps than before.
    The old movement is literally not reproducible with new physics because it relies on non-physical movement. Physical movement is required for things like trampolines and giant slingshots to work.
    You can QQ all you like about it, we've been wanting to make this change for a long time. The changes are mostly to how jumping works fwiw but also include much faster movement on ladders. Trampolines can be used for fast vertical travel too.

We're keeping movement fluid and allowing fast vertical traversal with ladders. We're also considering allowing the outright slow climbing of all natural walls to help knights and such get out of holes (which would actually be impeded by notching) but it'll likely feel way too different.

Yes, it does mean that a knight stuck in a deep hole is in trouble. However, I'm not really of the mindset where a knight stuck in a hole should be able to get out easily. He'll still be able to dig out with tunnels, but wont be able to climb straight back up cliffs without a builder around. I actually think that is a good thing, not a bad thing. Knights rushing into holes should be punished because they're making a stupid move. If they dont want the time loss, then they can suicide.

War is a more structured team v team mode. It is neither ctf nor tdm, but closer to the theory of the latter I guess. You build a base, research technology to get better stuff for your base, and then go to war with the enemy. It'll involve much larger maps for more territory fighting and will have per-character permadeath and "respawns" controlled by migration. We're tossing up whether to have party mode per-team or per-player in it, because per-team would encourage more sharing but would also lead to complaints when someone changes the order you've given one of the migrants. Basically, it's the fun parts of overworld mode in a team-v-team context. Games should last between 1 hour and 3 hours.
    As a result, full version CTF will be rebalanced to actually be CTF (custom maps, flag separate from tent, multi cap and faster games) and similarly with TDM.

None of this applies to classic because it's classic.

Re: NO DONT TAKE OUT NOTCHING IT MAKES IT SO EASY TO DEFEND OUR BIGHUGES! - that's the point.

I'm not quite sure you guys realise how large and fundamentally game changing (to full version, not classic, which will stay around for all you nostalgia lovers) the next update is. The blocks that you know now will not exist for builders to use - literally every block in the full version will be a blob block and we're rebalancing everything to take this into account. Doors, for example, stand up much better to punishment due to them needing to be much closer to the ground.

This is a fairly gigantic affair, which is why the update is a fair bit longer coming.

Xorlathor, Gofio, MooCowMan and 9 others like this.
  20. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

What is a "blob" block?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.