1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erik102003, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you think KAG needs progress ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. erik102003

erik102003 Base Burner Tester

I have 315 hours on this game when im writing this. Im getting kinda bored, You dev lads are getting out something new? I need something thats called purpose, maybe a new official gamemode, some progress of something, i love this game but its repetetive af. Thanks for eventuall response or ideas ::P:

joshua12131415 and Anszej like this.
  2. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

The game is done, I don't think devs (Geti) will add anymore gameplay to it.

PUNK123, Magmus and Sytoplasma like this.
  3. erik102003

Thats sad news :QQ:

4. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Maybe you have some suggestions then?
    People often use to say "Game needs progress" and then whine about something new being implemented.
    My opinion: This game doesn't really need something extremely new, i like it how it is. Repetetive gameplay isn't bad at all. For example: LoL, Dota, CS:GO, etc...
    (If you are tired of playing normal, official servers, go to modded ones, there are some crazy mods out there)

5. erik102003

Yes, i know but the repetetive gameplay in these games has a goal. Thats my point

6. Biurza

1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

How should i understand that?
    Goal is to have FUN i guess?

7. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Ranked matchmaking for CTF would be nice. All of the games mentioned earlier in this thread have it. Ranked would keep players engaged, in addition to giving them a sense of purpose and progression. I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to implement either. Initially matchmaking could just dump the first ten players it gets into a lobby, then distribute players such that teams have roughly even ELO. Later on, if it gets more popular, matchmaking could even be changed to try to match players with similar skill together so that newer players and more experienced players are in separate matches; the quality of CTF games would skyrocket for everyone. I imagine we would see a significant boost in player retention as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

If someone makes an official looking mod / extension to the game i wouldn't be surprised if they added it.
    I think they don't work on this game much bc not many people play it and it's just not worth the time and money. Some mods are so awesome that they attract lots of players *cough* ros *cough*
    So if someone were to make an awesome mod that attracted lots of players and kept them playing for a while instead of them leaving then maybe they would add it and we could make our own updates.

One major problem about kag is that new players come and don't learn how to play the game properly and leave. Kag needs good tutorial first, to keep the player base alive. Once more people actually start playing then they might put more effort into updating the game.

Biurza likes this.
  9. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

No. It would be horrible to play a match with a team of randoms when there is no voice chat. If the game were more popular and teammates were based on your skill level then it would work a bit better.
    fyi I'm not saying that it won't improve player retention and the overall experience of CTF.
    iirc Geti wants someone to make it for him but apparently no one is up for the challenge. And stfu about ros, my god! :>:(:

10. Biurza

1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

I don't think any tutorial could teach you how to stand against 1000 hours+ players.
    There was once server for newbies (if i recall correctly Leo was hosting it, until he started crying about ded game) and i really liked it.
    Hosting it again would be really nice IMO. But sadly, with Leo, ranks are gone too, so you must find a new way to save newbies.
    Having many responsible admins on the server isn't bad idea. They can both control the situation AND give an advice :)

Magmus likes this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is a very uncharitable interpretation of "not currently planned for official development", but I do welcome contributions across the board :)

The last while KAG has not brought in enough for me to spend anywhere near full time on it, financially. I'm only able to spend 2 days per fortnight working on the game around contract work (3 days a week at this point) and other projects.

I'm the only dev working on KAG anywhere near consistently at this point - MM works on it maybe once every 2 months, no interns have active projects, noone else at thd actively touches the game code. So things are slow, cause it has 1 person working on it infrequently.

I'm currently working on getting the repo back into a state where we can start taking things from the public github so the community can be more easily involved in development (if they want to be). I'm not really thinking about adding "new stuff!" at the moment because new content is always a balancing nightmare and there's a lot in the game as it is, and there's a lot of community resistance to change. I agree with the sentiment that we need more folks playing before jumping the gun on making the game any deeper. Better tutorials, menus and the like would probably be a good use of time, tutorials being the lowest hanging fruit. A newbies server might be a good idea as well, though you'd have to talk to Joe about hosting it and how it'd work.

Ranked CTF is unlikely to happen "officially" due to the infrastructure setup and maintenance (and all the other stuff already on my plate). You might have some luck getting gather set up again but I think the format would need revising (4v4 small maps maybe so you know what you're getting into when you !add)

12. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

tbh the only thing current kag needs is a 3-4x bigger community. it would great if something would be done so lots of new players would start playing and STAY (currently its like, steam sale, play 3 days, forget about the game). of course kag 2 with new content still would be nice; but if you don't have a community, you don't have a game. what i fear is that kag beta will once die like classic is ded now (before u say im saying bs my threads about dying game were memes).

and maybe, when there would be a bigger community, we would need unique, original servers too: people only play official ctf and tdm servers. the easiest way to make one server unique would be a /rank command (even if someone didnt like BD servers, im pretty sure /rank command was surely a very good idea). @AsuMagic PLEASE VANILLA RANKS MOD FINALLY

usually, when i host a mod, or even a normal server with custom maps, its very fun for 4-5 months then noone plays it anymore (even with updates). i already gave up on hosting servers 4-5 times, but i always want to come back. i still have hope for kag.

tl;dr:
    game is repetitive, but before we try to do fix it we need a bigger community

and why in every thread there must be a mention about RoS?

Asu and Biurza like this.
  13. Biurza

1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

That is really nice to hear from you, except i'm not sure, are you being a troll again or talking honestly.

epsilon likes this.
  14. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

*CoughPromoteFuzzleCough*

Asu, AgentHightower, Magmus and 2 others like this.
  15. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

i don't put that much effort into posts which are trolling. kag is a great game, it just has some problems. it's a very unique game with a very unique community; before or after finding out about kag i never played a similiar game.

Magmus and Biurza like this.
  16. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

he has asked me to host iko again, so i don't think it's sarcasm

Biurza likes this.
  17. Biurza

1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

Yeah, i got it already. Have never seen this side of bunnie :p

18. erik102003

This is depressing :D
    Btw, could someone give me a link to some tutorial on how to build maps, mods etc. ? Would like to try it ::): Or just see how hard is it..

Geti likes this.
  19. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Look at the pin threads here and maybe take a gander at some accepted maps to get some inspiration.
    @mcrifel (Joop) is making some mapmaking tutorials which you can find on his YouTube channel.
    There aren't any solid, in-depth tutorials specifically for KAG modding so you'll just have to learn off pre-existing mods and from modders. This might be of help, though.

mcrifel, Biurza and erik102003 like this.
  20. erik102003

Biurza likes this.