1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Public Blacklist

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by LucasTT, Dec 6, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

I posted this on another thread,but I wanted to give it more attention,because I think this idea could really work.

Guitarman likes this.
  2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think this is an idea that has been on a lot of people's minds. I am interested to see what comes of this but everyone keep in mind all the potential for damage here.

3. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

What pontential for damage do you mean?

4. Contrary

Well there are a lot of things, but the fundamental issue is that the wrong people might get on the list. This can come from the way you accept suggestions for the list- who's word do you accept and how do you scrutinize it for malice or negligence? It's incredibly easy to mistake one player for another, hell I confuse JoshTG and JTG all the time and the former's name is twice as long as the latter's.

There's also issues in how you define what kind of person decides to be on the list. Cases like Muckymuck are obvious but beyond that things get really contentious. Do you blacklist everyone who griefs even once? If not, how much griefing is required? What kinds of griefing? How do you qualify how much someone has griefed? What even constitutes as griefing? I've heard many established members of the community say that they have alts where they grief. Some of them guards. Hell, I'm pretty sure MM griefs on alt accounts.

The thing is, griefing is a lot like pollution. Collectively it's a serious issue but individual cases are ultimately pretty trivial. Outside of teamkilling Rayne I haven't griefed in KAG, but I have in Call of Duty and I found it funny as hell. I'm sure that the vast majority of people who have griefed are otherwise legitimate players and when you start a witchhunt you may end up losing a large proportion of potential players, something that's ill afforded in our modest playerbase.

5. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

I think getting a longer ban every time you grief would be best, it avoids perma banning ( i wish we could do this ) and it promotes one to change they're attitude .
    If say a first offence would be a one week ban, second offence two week ban, and so on, capping maybe at 3 months or so.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw it would be fairly easy for someone wishing to be a central authority to set up eg a bitbucket or github account, have the blacklists versioned that way and distribute a simple shell script to update the blacklist each hour (using git or hg's merge), and fork to run the server - basically a drop-in replacement for dedicatedserver.sh that updates your bans every now and again.

Central authority could then of course do things like accept pull requests from other servers who would add bans to the list. Would love to see this kind of thing stop being pipe dreams and actually happen, so I'm happy to help people motivated enough to actually set this up but lacking knowledge of scripting with git or hg, I will not be the central authority though - we already manage the global side of things and I'm sure you don't want us to be as cautious with this sort of thing :^)

Fate likes this.
  7. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

@Contrary :
    I would suggest that guards controlled the list. Someone said that steam doesn't like global bans because people spent money.
    So it would be just like classic guard system,but server owners would be able to choose if they want to follow the global blacklist,or not.

@Geti
    Well that's a good suggestion,if anyone could make that,it would be nice.But I can't do it,I wouldn't even know how to start it(mainly the code part).

8. Contrary

I think this would be better as more of a public community project as the guards are not especially active, generally speaking. What we could do is start making our reports public?

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

To go along with what I was saying in https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/changing-grief-policy.17574/

Maybe changing the report policy to allow all reports to be allowed, as long as they have at least pictures as proof.

This allows for a chance for them to be put on a blacklist, while not being directly banned. Marking reports with notes like "partial evidence" or "full evidence" would be good. Partial being pictures and Full being video evidence. Server owners can then go through both lists, either selecting individuals, "full evidence" cases only, or both "full and partial evidence" cases.

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

11. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The only possible reason I can see where opponents to the idea would have a valid case is if this notional banlist were mandatory to all servers. The proposed banlist, like most all server features, would be optional to implement via an 'autoconfig.cfg' or seclevs setting, and therefore left completely up to the server owner if he wants to allow those bad actors in or not. I can't see how anyone could justify a position that forbids a server admin from banning or allowing whoever he damn well pleases; it's private property!

LucasTT likes this.
  12. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

It's not a criticism of the idea per se, because anyone who agreed with me could just not sign up to the list (as you say) but I do think there's kind of an issue with the difference in administration between servers. I wouldn't really want to exclude players banned for stuff like mouthing off at an admin on another server. It would only take 1 server with a bad admin team to join the list, and their poor decisions would be amplified across the community.

If there were a way to flag up the nature of the offence, such that people could opt-in to 'griefer' and 'hacker' lists without the rest of it then that would be a nice solution. But it would also be more work on top of an already daunting task.

13. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

Looking through that all, it looks like it might have been easier to maintain with an official way to appeal bans. Rather than just have people shout that x is innocent. I think just a very clear cut set of rules would be a great help and I'd really like the list to come back. Of course I'm an idiot when it comes to server based stuff so...

Edit: stupid slow internet made me double post. sorry for the two alerts

14. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

If the central authority was quite prepared to eject servers with overzealous banning policies then yeah, consider my concerns muted.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is the best model I could come up with:
    • Central authority servers owned by someone "on the list" of admins in charge of banlists; eg Beo, Hierbo, Kaizo, whatever.
      These would sync/merge their bans into the central list as they were made/each hour.
    • Contributer servers owned by someone who wants to help spread the word about assholes but that the central authority doesn't trust to sync bans directly.
      These would issue a pull request as needed for the central authorities to inspect and accept/reject - this means no automatic spread from all servers, but that there is a mechanism for minor servers to send their bans forward without the owner having to consciously maintain attention - just flick a switch/include login info and away you go.
      (Central auth could of course opt to ignore requests from a problematic server)
    • Subscriber servers that push no changes and only sync other changes - this could be included as a default configuration for "out of the box" servers once the list is stable and considered reliable.
    This would probably be fairly easy to set up with github or bitbucket, though using either would of course mean that contributers and central authorities would probably need to have a bitbucket account. It's the most stable/long term solution I could come up with, not necessarily the simplest to implement.

16. Geti

Our ability to set "flags" (hacker, griefer etc as discussed elsewhere) will help, but the implementation of that has been fairly slow as it relies on a new version of the API being released, and Tom has had personal troubles for the past few months. He's hoping to make a lot of progress on that side of things in the coming couple of weeks, and we'll be smoothing over some of the admin quirks next week if all goes according to plan (MM understandably wanted a break from KAG).

Mods: Rainbows