1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Question for players who bought Premium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xlayer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

2. Vivicus

Vivicus KAG Guard Tester

I have a very simple rule with regards to entertainment- it has to be able to give me better entertainment value than a great movie. Here's how I compare roughly... This assumes equivalent entertainment value:

Movie: 2 hours, ~ 10 bucks to see it at the theatre.
    Game: X hours, Y bucks to see it.

Basically, any form of entertainment needs to be able to pass the $5/hour rule for a high level of enjoyment- as a side note I don't see very many movies at the theatre these days :oops: . If a game costs me $50? I expect to get at minimum, bare minimum, to get 10 hours of moderately awesome play out of it.

"Freemium" games seem to offer a very strong value proposition, then. As I got to play KAG for about 10 hours before deciding it was worth the $10. So for a dollar an hour, I got a rather large amount of enjoyment. And I fully expect to get more out of it as its development continues.

For note, the game I've gotten the best value from? Pokemon Platinum. I spent around 500 hours in it since its release, and it was my go-to game for road trips and time when bored. Yes, I'm a goddamned nerd. No, I'm not ashamed. Yes, I caught all of the catchable ones. :3

FuzzyBlueBaron, Rayne and BlueLuigi like this.
  3. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

It may sound simplistic, but this actually works well.
    I'm often far more happy to invest in a game under construction, simply because I get kicks out of whatever small part of the journey I get to share with the developers and the community.

Also: Platinum was good!

FuzzyBlueBaron, BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.
  4. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

BUY IT NOW DAMN IT!

Acavado likes this.
  5. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Premium players command respect? I am currently non-premium (my pay pal account is currently inaccessible) and anyone who try's to command my respect gets there tail throttled, in a gaming sense. Except for Foxodi, i respect him. (His top hat does help a little.)

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Top hats are to be held above all others of course

FuzzyBlueBaron and Vivicus like this.
  7. Tyngn

Tyngn Ballista Bolt Thrower

Mohawks sit upon the top of those who wear top hat heads

Chinizz and Asterix like this.
  8. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

What about people who have mohawks...wearing top hats? O_O

9. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

That would be TotalBiscuit in Terraria.

MouldyK likes this.
  10. Comrde

Comrde Shipwright

I bought the game when it was $25 on desura, a day later it became $10, i wished i had waited. If would be nice if i had an extra copy for a friend but, oh well.

11. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Worth it? It costs roughly the same as a single decent meal out at a restaurant. And Ive gotten more enjoyment out of it than most full retail games.... And the game has not even gotten all its planned features yet!

Rayne and Noburu like this.
  12. Comrde

Comrde Shipwright

I spent about two to three sittings of 5 hours playing it alone and then i had some time off and i told my friend about the game and now we both play it for three, four hours at a time. I would say it was worht it for $25, its a steal at $10. I guess if you wait a year or two, you could get it for $5 on a holiday sale.

13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

You bought KAG for $25?

14. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

He is talking about when it goes full price I assume.

15. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Clearly he was not.

16. MouldyK

MouldyK Shipwright

Ah, sorry. Still, it's a bit odd if he paid that much for it. For for giving the developer money and all, but if I saw a game for that much, I would have checked if it was cheaper elsewhere..or at least the main site.

Either way, a bit weird for Desura to have it for the full price to begin with.

17. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I originally thought I had no interest in the game and I'd just maintain the servers and stuff like I did for Soldat (though I started out playing Soldat originally).

A couple weeks ago I watched a couple of gameplay videos of KAG on youtube and it looked awesome. I started playing and two days later bought the game because I wanted to support the devs (even though I work with them already). Why?

- It's awesomely playable and it is only an alpha, getting better every month
    - THD (as in MM and the other devs, not including me to whatever level I am part of THD) sets a great example for how game developers can integrate with the community. The growth of KAG has been entirely organic, and the community is involved in shaping the game - suggesting features, reporting bugs, and discussing any and all aspects of the game
    - The community involvement allows everyone to have that much more of a connection to this game, and the community's involvement helps produce a higher quality and more interesting game while allowing THD to spend less time chasing bugs and discussing features at nauseum - the community makes it clear just what direction the game should take to be appealing to players everywhere. Compare this to a giant game dev beast like EA who has to do market research, write a huge involved game, and then pray that it does well in sales after they spend millions on advertising.

I love the organic growth and development that indie game developers like THD foster, so I bought the game. Add to that all the extra features yet to come, the great value it is at $10 *even as it is now* let alone how it will be in the future.... absolutely it's worth buying.

18. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

To be honest,currently premiums doesn't have anything flashy except for beeing immune to kicking(I still get kicked for a high ping though) and special heads.

Thus it is not worth it , since you can get it for free,and enjoy it on the same level as premiums,which I did(3 months as non-premium).But!

But then I've thought that supporting devs is worth their effort,since this game is greater than most "AAA" projects.
    Getting powder kegs and zombies was stimulating too. :D

19. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Always support the devs, especially sense I kinda know Geti from another forum I feel more special by doing so.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  20. Ren_Partycat

Ren_Partycat Shopkeep Stealer

Totally worth it. I'd get it now, before it rises to $12.50 USD when zombies are released.

Benefits:
    - Access to ALL future content for a cheaper price than usual
    - Hats
    - Buying the game supports the KAG Team (And in my opinion, they're a great team with great developers who will make this game greater than ever if they get the support)