1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Fixes for Classic B488

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We've been taking note of complaints from the community Re: classic gameplay, especially with regards to bomb jumping and shield bashing. I totally agree that some of the raw fun of the game has been lost due to balancing concerns without the option to players to bring them back.

There are now some variables in gamemode.cfg that allow some more nostalgic, fun mechanics to be reintroduced, like double-gliding bombjumps across the map and knight combat without shieldbashing.

These variables are:
    • can_shieldbash - exactly what it says on the tin (defaults to off)
    • can_glide_when_bombjumping - similarly, allows much further bombjumps (defaults to off)
    • bomb_jump_scale - scales the force of a bombjump. (defaults to 1.0)
    Shieldbashing off by default is something we're looking into - we realise that it makes shielding feel very weak but we also don't want the current "surf to win" mentality that plagues RTDM to be a thing. Understand that with the engine behind classic, this is a very hard issue to solve since players locations cannot be 100% synced due to latency, -> someone colliding with you on your screen might not be on their screen, or on the server.
    We're looking into how we actually want to solve this but it's not a priority compared to getting the full game complete, sadly. We figure with the option there, server owners can cater to people who do and don't like bashing.

This release also has a fix to the dreaded "rcon crash" many people have been reporting - because of the nature of the crash it has been very hard to track down exactly what's going wrong and to provide a fix, but thankfully we've been able to. Many thanks to Tom/Shad for his focus on this.

Ryan/FLAB has got some new hardware up and running which will help us manage increased loads now and in the future, a worthy investment.

Michal and I have been working furiously on getting more scripting progress done and have got physics more properly integrated, done some optimisation and started properly defining the entities. Work has been done on actor-actor interaction, forming joints between objects and improving the performance of structures.

We'll keep you posted, hopefully with some pictures soon ;)

Max/Geti

MooCowMan, Sarathos, Ghozt and 19 others like this.
  2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There has been a bit of a mistake made - the update was pushed without the build number being updated... And now the build server is playing up so I'm not sure how long it will take to correct this.

I'll keep you posted!

3. Shadlington

Sorted it all out, everyone re-update :D

Kouji likes this.
  4. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

combat without shieldbashing? So much time I've learned to properly use shieldbash. And today it again removed from the game. Thank you ever so much. Hear more noobs

5. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Combat without shieldbashing will be alot better ;)

delankski likes this.
  6. Shadlington

...Its just been made into a server-side flag for turning it on and off. Its still possible to bash on servers with it turned on.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  7. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

But.. but..?
    EDIT: Also shut up Screeam, shield surfing on people is ridiculous and by "properly learning to use" you're probably meaning excatly this. You fucking glitcher mofos take all the fun out of knight combat to be straight and whine afterwards when you can't do your shit anymore. Please, please if there's some confusion turn it off by default.

8. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

You're so aggressive. Your valuable opinions can keep to yourself.
    </br>--- merged: Aug 18, 2012 2:23 PM ---</br>
    With the shield bash combat system was complex and interesting.

9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'm a little disappointed, I thought we would get old the old style of shield bash back, where it was usable but not overpowered at all. Also where's the clashing removal? Stomp reversion?

Anyways I am pretty happy on the bomb jump glide returning, as well as finally a fix to the rcon crash. And no shieldbash is better than the surf to win, so all in all it's a good day I guess. The game is on its way to being as good as it was 300 builds ago.

edit: sigh also play nice everyone or else ban stick etc.

Ghozt, Noburu and inactive_account like this.
  10. do you mean this #469 #267? if yes - i love you guys

11. Shadlington

That's the one. It was a real pain to fix :/

FuzzyBlueBaron and norill like this.
  12. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

If you guys add flags for clashing, I'll love you. :D

13. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

I miss the old shield bash, but I'm certainly happy the new gravity defying super-shield will cease to exist (for the most part). It would be nice if at some point we can get rid of "slash to win" as well, but maybe that will be fine once knight combat isn't as janky as it is (lag or no lag).

I would say that shield bashing at it's most recent incarnation made knight combat less interesting and complex, because of how dominate it was. Shield bash, stab, shield bash, stab. Although I don't really like slash to win that much (it also becomes a dominate strategy), it's (for one not nearly as random and frustrating) basically not used at all after shield bashing was turned up to eleven, because it was simply so much harder to successfully use them to shield bash.

Overall this is definitely for the better, and it's not like we're losing anything; it's just and option to switch shield bashing (or hilarious bomb jumping, which I think most of us can say "YES PLEASE" to) on or off.

14. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

wrong.
    new combat system - slash, slash, slash, spam, slash...

15. Beepo

Beepo Asian Faggot Donator
    1. Delta Force - Delta

At least no more shield bash and no more rcon crash =3

16. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

If shield bashing is turned off, it goes back to the good combat from before, where shielding has a purpose except for being an offensive, broken insta killer against walls.

17. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

There is a little difference in slash2win. Slashing needs some set of skill.

18. FlamingDragon96

FlamingDragon96 Shark Slayer

If people can't fight without shield bashing I would say that they do not have skill. I've fought many battles where we agree to not shield bash, those battles are interesting and last longer than with shield bashing. On the other hand when we agreed to shield bash the person flew all the way to the corner where he couldn't do a thing cuz of shield bashing in corners, it ended with him flying up in the air and dying of fall damage. I never accept kills that make people fly in the air, "pushed to his death" (when squished in a corner), or when they fly across the map and hit a tower then fall to their death because they're stunned.

acridstone and DrZaloski like this.
  19. yes, shieldbash was bugged and imba, but was also very fun. especially pushing enemies into holes or stunning them when they hold a bomb. i can't wait to see it's glorious, third incarnation, without bugs and ruining the game balance

20. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

I said that I can not fight without shieldbash?
    I said With the shield bash combat system was complex and interesting.