1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Fixes for Classic B488

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Aug 18, 2012.

1. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Have you ever seen King arthur shieldbashing IN REAL LIFE?
    Also , King arthur can Ride on knights' head using a Shield?
    That sounds "Not Realistic".
    So and now, shieldbash is being the "MAIN" Point for the best skill of Knights.
    In addition to this, there are bugs and stuffs that is making the gameplay(swordfight) ruined.
    Man, i hate shieldbash.
    It is just awesome, but when it goes sooo mainstream.
    NOT MORE AWESOME .

2. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

They both require the same amount of skill really. Timing, judging distance, judging enemy velocity and judging angle.

Is there something I'm missing?

3. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

You ever seen in life Pixel PEOPLE?
    Or have you seen the King Arthur throws a bomb?
    That sounds "Not Realistic".
    did not think that this game aims for realism.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Slash2win require a lot more skill than bash2win. Slash spam rewards you for positioning yourself well and you have to space and time well in order to prevail. Bash2win you just jump, bash, jab in a straight line with complete disregard to what the opponent is doing.

I think the mistake was making bashes stun rather than knockback. Which is extra stupid considering being stabbed in the gut doesn't even stun you.

5. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

Shieldbashes are weird - causing sometimes huge "Fus Ro Dah" effect, making someone shieldbashed fly WHOLE map.

norill likes this.
  6. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

You have to position yourself well with bash as well though. Can't bash on hills or most tunnels. You can slash on them however. There's more of a warm up for slash, but then, you actually hurt people with slash. With bash you can only hurt one person if you manage to squash them or push them into a pit, which is very rare.

KAG has improved since the dismal days of post 220, but either out of nostalgia or good memory I don't think it has fully returned to the intricate rock paper scissors of 190.

>bash/slash, jabspam, win

I like when everyone has their own playstyles but this is what literally everyone does now. I don't know how to change it to where you have very aggressive, risky players, very careful, shield happy players, and so on either.

7. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

Slash should be better than shield bash, for example if the guy want to shield bash you can stop him slashing him (and hurt him with the second slash if u do a double one).
    Because actually even if you slash him he can bash you (most of times) and when the slah works u can't double slash because of the knockback.

8. Screeam

Screeam Builder Stabber

with the new update broke the zombie mode

9. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

how would bomb_jump_scale work? like if set to x flies x as fast and/or x as far?
    also we need a variable to change shield knockback?
    edit: @norill i think so

TheWids likes this.
  10. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Dear KAG Team, please implement a dislike button, ty.
    Shield Bash like it has been these builds, was the worst part of the gameplay lol.

Bammboo likes this.
  11. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

naw worst part is spam. just spam, and worst of all ranged spam ie catapults, archers and bombs

Beef likes this.
  12. Masery

Masery is actually Maroon Donator

There needs to be a way to stop shotgunning.

13. Code:
        #shieldbash
        shieldbash_push_factor = 2.0
        max_shieldbash_push = 3.5
        min_shieldbash_horiz_vel = 1.0
        clientside_shieldbash = 0
        shieldbash_uppysidey_ratio = 0.4
        shieldbash_knockdown = 3
    u mean dis?

14. TheWids

TheWids Haxor

I think the main problem with shield bashing is the surfing, and if u dovakhin it, like worm mentioned. I think u should make it so that when u come it contact with the victim u are bashing. He gets knocked back 3 blocks and u have a mini knock back in the opposite direction. Then people won't be hanging ten and what not on Ur face. Shield surfing sucks, but it is fun to do "sumo" battles in rp and stuff.

norill and Ne3zy like this.
  15. Brilly

Brilly Haxor

This is easily the funniest statement in this thread.

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The weapon_clash variable has been in for a good 100 builds, you guys just dont read the release notes sometimes. If it's not working, we haven't been told - if it's on, knights should clash with builders but not with each other (-> the builder wont hurt you but you'll hurt them) and if it's off noone clashes with anyone.
    In with this build is a fix for the builders clashing out knights (see: you should be able to absolutely steamroll aggressive builders if they're trying to clash you out rather than position yourself). If anything isn't working with this in anyones experience, please get some info on where it's going wrong (not "clashing is fucked fix plz") to us, ideally informally via IRC if its a small issue or at bugs.kag2d.com otherwise.

Re: YOU TOOK SHIELDBASH OUT YOU MONSTERS - it's a variable per-server, so petition server owners to include it if you love it so much, not me.

Re: Why not revert to how it was? - this is how it was (just with tweak-able variables), but some physics changes happened ages ago that made it less stable.

Re: Why not bounce back a little on collision - we do. I'd say play deathmatch with henry and try to surf him, but it seems there's some bug with the "rcon crash" fix that breaks when the client and server are run from the same binary. I'll complain to Tom about it now to get it fixed ASAP, though I'm sure it's exactly what he wants to do on his sunday.

Re: SOLO IS BROKEN - yeah, see above. Getting fixed ASAP

Either way the mechanics in full are more flexible and shield bashing is actually its own separate action - changing how it works for classic would kind of be taking the classic out of classic. I'll be working with the testers this week to make sure we can get as much out of classic as possible though.

17. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

RCON CRASH HATH BEEN SLAIN. THANK YOU SHAD

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

When you guys "fixed" it you said "clashing is off by default fwiw". Tested it with some bros, clearly still on. I mentioned this, no reply, later I heard that its impossible to turn off, hence builders retaining clash for a large number of builds despite repeated efforts to kill it. I apologize if this assumption is incorrect; will seriously test this. In any case I don't see why clashing would even remain as an option, let alone default. Evidence shows time and time again that it is the worst addition to KAG ever.

FACT: Two knights jabbing at the same time will yield random results. Blue knight may kill the other while taking no damage, the red knight may kill the other while taking no damage, and anything in between purely due to luck.

Some clashing test, skip to 1:40 for the most striking example.

Anyways, good if it's a working an option now, I will make it my life's work to hunt down every server owner and force them to turn it off.

Monsteri likes this.
  19. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

One big problem with shield bashing is because, as random and silly knight slash combat is, shield bash is much more nonsensical. I also find that it's a lot easier to pull off an effective shield bash then a slash, because there is basically no way to stop it except for another shield bash or a perfectly timed slash (and that only works SOME of the time). Because it's so easier to pull off and is less risky (you don't leave yourself open while shield bashing), and the only way to counter it is to shield bash better, it just turns into a shield bash contest.

Also, I hope head desync will never be fixed, it's clearly one of the best unintended features!

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  20. FlamingDragon96

FlamingDragon96 Shark Slayer

Never did I said you could not fight without shieldbash. Also please explain to me how bouncing off each other is complex and interesting?