1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Rant] Game Balance And The Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trumbles, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

chrispin i agree with you very much so about everything you said, ballistas should be used offensively not defensively. what exactly is kag reborn though? I assume its a mod :P, but what else is being tweaked to make the game better overall? ( pls say water ammo :o)

2. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Add non op seige planes. I want to rain down water arrows from the sky

toothgrinderx likes this.
  3. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

you can view his posts in the what are you working on thread in modding section. no need to repost here.

4. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I have a compromise for people who hate the fun ballistas.

Bring back outposts.

Kazaco97 likes this.
  5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'd almost agree if forward spawning wasn't just generally cancerous. I'd prefer the people spamming them be spending their time on tunnels so there's at least the concern of liability, though that'll free up even more coins for bomb spam :) IIRC Verra's fixed the "spawn at contested point" issue in CTF for the next build.

6. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Underground tunneling is the meta in a majority of games. Bomb price /|\ and bomb radius \|/ makes bomb spam a waste unless you're a good tosser or throwing into crowds of plebs to fund more explosive ordinances.

bring back WAR mode + farming for shits and giggles and throw it out in an update as its own game mode

7. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Great to hear this change is coming up. Keep up the great work.
    Increasing cost of bomb bolts seems like an intuitive change in light of their destructive capabilities. Barsuk's calculations seem like a good bench mark for ensuring that no one usage of coins is any stronger than the other.
    On a side note I'd like to see changing-the-desired-spawn-point-resetting-the-spawn-timer fixed/removed, its just a mild annoyance, so not very urgent.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Has also been done afaik, was all part of the same task "spawning issues". Not sure if it'll working in TTH as it's not a priority at the moment. Would be happy to have a link to the coin balance calcs, though we take most of that stuff with a grain of salt at best :)

tru0067 likes this.
  9. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Barsuk's calculations are earlier in this very thread. Essentially destructive power is compared to kegs (a good fairly balanced benchmark (120 coins)) The same destructive power (2-4 bomb bolts) should cost a similar amount.

10. Geti

Ah, i thought there might have been some more general comparision of items vs coins - found the post in question. Indeed, bolts are probably too cheap, the economy in general is something to look at next build.

11. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Are you all taking into account bolt slashing? Bolts are kind of easier for one person to prevent than kegs, but I guess you do have to stand there and do nothing else...

Making their flying hitboxes bigger and easier to hit with arrows might be another change to look at (if that's possible)

12. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I wouldn't call what we had in classic cancerous. There was already plenty of liability in the fact that outposts could be captured, although if I remember correctly capture times for vehicles are much slower than classic capture times. True, there was quite the obligation to throw redundant spawn points somewhere near the enemy's outpost, but it sure defined a clear front on the battlefield. Compare that to the random ebbs and flows of knights and archers sweeping across 60% of the map and you have a significant difference in gameplay. Considering the effective combat range of weapons in the KAG universe, I wouldn't say it's a negative change. It's also nice to have a feeling of steady front progression, which I find the current gameplay doesn't foster very well.

Take that for what you will. I know you will say "Classic is a completely different game". Still, both games were designed to be quite similar in ways that call for the same builder-centric gameplay

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    bunnie likes this.
  13. Geti

Outposts had several hard-to-avoid bugs partially as a result of the capturing, and on the servers I ended up frequenting most at the time (Action Unlimited) outposts were removed in favour of tunnels.

I know some people liked them, and the idea of a forward spawn building is nice, but without any sort of strategic overview and a ten second spawn time, there isn't much planning that goes into where to spawn, meaning many players just end up spawning at the front, facilitating easy-mode back-capping.

The spawn feature isn't likely to get removed as it stands, but I personally feel that it's a bad one.

14. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Also why deploying a single warboat loses a TTH game about 50% of the time. I always find that hilarious.

15. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Yea I will agree that back capping is a huge problem in TTH (I know you're talking about classic but bear with me), but to be fair many of the maps are practically designed to encourage it (see the maps with halls suspended over an open ocean where warboats can traverse). Addressing this issue in both classic and TTH, I think combining spawn points with tunnels, and (this is a key point) preventing enemies from using your tunnels would eliminate most back capping. I suppose you could have tunnels only, as a replacement for forward spawns, but they need to be capturable (or just easy to destroy) and they need to block enemies from exploiting your tunnel system. Otherwise there will be too many opportunities for enemies to sneak past your front. The issue you describe in classic was the fact that you could be punished for choosing the wrong spawn point and not being able to quickly react to an issue closer to home. For that you need fast travel built in to your forward camps.

Anyway I'm just throwing out my thoughts to see the feedback and possible disadvantages of trying to implement this. I think the issues that crop up could be dealt with one way or another. In the end, some people will probably hate it, but more may end up liking it.

bunnie and Noburu like this.
  16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Honestly, even just removing spawning from ballistas and leaving everything else as-is would be an improvement imho.

I mean, sure, spawning up front can be shiny at times. And, sure, having to defend your tunnels correctly can be a pain at times. But, ultimately, forward tunnels are a pretty effective replacement for a forward spawn & learning to trap under your tunnel isn't that much of a drag.

The only further change I'd maybe suggest is (assuming you've done the above) is to make tunnels only connect to tunnels directly to their left & right (rather than the current model where you can skipp all the tunnels in the middle of a chain). Ofc, this would mean getting to the front line == repeated hopping (instead of being insta-teleporting to the front); but, on the flip side, it would mean that enemies (say, with a lit keg) couldn't insta-teleport to your base.

But yeah. Tunnels are simply better and make for less BS game-flow. Why do we still have forward spawns again?

17. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

I think making Tunnels more accessibly and make ballistas less so. (Maybe remove enemy team warping and then make it so that you can't spawn at ballistas, but still change class)

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Maybe, but then maybe not. Am divided on that. If we removed class changing as well then there'd be more incentive for actual forward bases (like, with shops and everything). As things currently stand what things tend towards is a mega base at each end of the map and a mangled, uninhabitable, no-man's land in between.

Chrispin likes this.
  19. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

It seems pointless for a ballista to be worth so much and not be able to change class at it. It's just a portable foward base, but if you want the cool accessory, (bombs) you build shops :).

20. FuzzyBlueBaron

Well, price could (should?) definitely be revisited if things like respawn & changing class were removed, but considering that keeping class-swapping will still make for those "oh dear, an archer climbed up, swapped class, and is now royally fucking over our whole base. All because some nubby pub left a ballista on top of our tower. Oh deary, deary me..." BS moments which epitomise the lameness that is backcapping.

Completely separating siege from reinforcement & utility would help lessen the extreme potential for the colossal tactical cockups that a poorly placed ballista can cause atm. Also, to directly address your comment
    I feel that it's actually that dual nature (siege and forward base in one) that makes ballistas (and their placement) so fiddly. Simplify things, make them pure siege (probably with a reduced price tag, as discussed), and there'll be 50% less dramas with them in pub play overnight. Promise.

tl;dr
    We've already got stuff that allows us to quickly get to the front (tunnels). We've already got stuff that allows us to swap classes and get building resupplies at the front (shops). Having either (let alone both) of these functions on another piece of front equipment just seems like... bloat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.