1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Windows Really Laggy Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Help' started by Dark_Kingdom, Dec 1, 2016.

Tags:
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

So uh, in the recent, I purged everything on my PC (complete factory reset), updated all my drives and only currently have steam, KAG, and malware-bytes installed on my PC. No other games, no other programs... My internet can't be the issue because I previously played on a laptop that I had until a few days ago; No lag at all, whatsoever. Here I am now, confused because it won't run in multiplayer at all without lagging like crazy. I can be in-game, but it's too laggy to play. My specs on this PC are as follows:
    Windows 8(64bit), 384MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics (HP), and 4GB of ram

I don't really get what the problem is. I can play singleplayer just fine, but I cannot play multiplayer without horrid lag.

2. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

lag =/= fps drops

3. jonipro

jonipro Haxor Tester
    1. Terracraft's Servers

Upgrade your PC and get more ram. Turn down all the graphics and set graphic settings for performance in ATI Radeon drivers. Join a server with small map and less slots.

4. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

I gotta upgrade my pc to play KAG? LOL,
    it ran on the shitty toaster that my sister had, just fine and that toaster is an xp from like 10 years ago. :L

5. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

If this is happening on a lot of games, then ever thought of doing windows refresh..? (or reset, what ever you want to call it..)
    And then if it still happens, upgrade your pc.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

KAG is CPU, not graphics heavy. Your graphics card is more or less irrelevant, and amount of ram is borderline (4gb is much more than enough, unless you're running a web browser or something in the background)

Your single core cpu performance is the #1 important factor - your sisters "toaster" might have had a reasonably high-clock desktop cpu regardless of what operating system it was running. That said, any intel i5 or greater last-5 years CPU "should be" enough to run KAG ok. AMD cpus have a terrible history with KAG, unfortunately.

Some possible optimisations and diagnostics:
    • Try turning off help, with f1 - the help code hits the disk way too often and needs to be optimised.
    • Run faster graphics and kids safe mode - this only helps because it'll cut down on the amount of particles that the CPU has to simulate.
    • Don't run other programs at the same time as KAG - especially things like web browsers, virus scans, and video playback.
    • Turn on the network graph (hit home to open the console, and type /n_graph 1) - if there's big "holes" in the graph, your connection is unstable and you'll get awful lag.

7. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

Omf it's geti, :o
    I'll be sure to try all of that papi geti
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 6, 2016 ---
    But what do I do if it's my connection, cause my sister's toaster is in the same house so does that mean her connection is somehow just better than mine (IF ITS the connection?)?

Geti likes this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

If it's your connection,
    • If you're using wifi, make sure you've got good signal without much packet drop (if not, consider a signal booster, google should help with improving your wifi link) or consider upgrading to a wired connection.
    • If the connection is shared shared (sounds like it is) make sure someone else isn't like, patching games, streaming hd video, or torrenting stuff unless you've got amazing internet. Depending on your router, the machines involved, and a heap of other unpredictable factors, someone else's connection might be given priority over yours (especially because KAG uses UDP which is good for low latency but isn't given priority in high traffic situations).
    • Make sure you're not doing the above either, very easy to grief yourself by listening to music over youtube or patching steam games on a low-bandwidth connection :)

9. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

When I play games, I only have steam and that game running. The only music I play is music that I've downloaded beforehand, because I know better than to use youtube or w/e when I'm gaming. I also usually game when it's only me, so it can't be anyone else causing the internet to drop. I noticed recently I've been getting heavy single-player lag too. I tried going into single player just to slay some noob knights out of boredom and noticed I couldn't because it was too laggy. I tried doing all the stuff you said other than the Network Graph thing.

10. Vamist

http://www.speedtest.net

Take a look at that.

11. Geti

This hints pretty strongly that it's not network related. You still haven't told us what CPU you have :)

12. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

AMD :(
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 6, 2016 ---
    So does AMD mean I can't play KAG???? ;-;
    I don't have money to change from AMD

13. Vamist

Model name, not just the company who made it.

(type up System information in file search)

Having a AMD CPU does not make kag unplayable.

AMD is just a company who makes CPUs, like Intel, they do CPU's at a cheaper price, but intel comes with a lot more features

The more cores and clock speed you have on a CPU the better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  14. Dark_Kingdom

Dark_Kingdom Arsonist

AMD K140 Zacate 40nm Technology
    (if it helps, i used speccy)
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Code Name Zacate
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E2-2000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 7, 2016 ---
    ;-; @Geti

15. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

well, your issue is with your computer since you are lagging in singleplayer. from what you gave me, i can see you have a 6 year old, entry level amd apu. there are 2 things: kag uses mostly the cpu, so the cpu is very important in terms of performance. whoever was optimizing kag's engine, was likely using an intel cpu, which is why intel cpus perform much better compared to amd cpus.
    tldr: your cpu is not good enough. you dont really need an intel one, but it will probably run kag a lot better

Vamist likes this.
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey