1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Realm of the Mad God

Discussion in 'Other games' started by who, Jun 2, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I can never find what i need for the class im playing im playing archer i find gold mail and awsome stuff for other classes but then 5 min later i unlock warrior play him and find s bunch of bows and quivers and nothing else WTF GAME
    Y DO U HATE ME.

2. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I put good items I find into my vault, so when I unlock a class, I can use them.

AJ likes this.
  3. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

ima try it out one more time.mega chicken.
    EDIT:THIS GAME ROCKS,i feel stupid now.

is there some kind of friends list?my name is Rangedhs cuz Ranged was taken

4. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

It kinda sucks that you only have 8 vault spaces though, and I don't really want to spend around $5 just to but another 8 slots.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  5. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

The idea is that you die often and that it takes very little time to hit the level cap. Don't go worrying about equips too much, they're just there to help you level a little faster. Here's a tip btw: Hit level 8 and warp to the center of the map where people fight Beholders and Snake Gods. You'll level like crazy and find great equips, so long as you stay out of the way and don't die.

6. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

But I find that boring, leading to want to solo more, but when I solo I die.. and get frustrated, hence why I quit. You just can't solo in this game.

7. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

can some1 explain how to get gold?

8. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

this game wins o:

buy it with real money, there are icons at the nexus

9. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Meh. None of the gold stuff is really worth it except the vaults, especially because you even lose clothing colors and pets upon death.

10. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Whats weird is a level one priest of mine died and got me 22 fame but a level 9 knight got me 2......WHY?I JUST WANT A PET DRAKE.

Edit:Oh that sucks.

11. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

I don't think those are pets. I think the eggs give equips.

12. Eggnogg

I think the eggs spawn monsters. Also, pets don't die upon death, but they will if you don't take care of them, but I think clothing dyes are lost upon death.

I've found a way to get extra vault space; double accounts ;O . Also, dungeons aren't that hard to take on your own, so long as you are very careful and willing to bail if things get too tough. What you can't do on your own is defeat most gods, or any dungeons that are more are of a higher tier than snake pits.

It'd be cool for some of us to play together, even though there isn't a good buddy system in place, it'd be great to have an organised group consisting of at least one healer.

13. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

played it 2 houres.... now im bored and appreciate KAG exists, better play KAG ;)

14. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

Maybe if you became good :P
    The main barrier to soloing is that other people join you, which defeats the purpose a little. But seriously folks, I do feel as though it just isn't as fun as it used to be.

15. Neat

I am good. I can solo many top gods all at once. The problem is, sometimes you make mistakes. If you make mistakes solo, you're going to die, and you only die once.

16. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

Drake die very fast...

17. Eggnogg

Ok, I've been playing for like the past 3 or 4 days, because despite some of its flaws, it does have an addictive element that kept me playing.

I love the game's concept; an rpg bullet hell? Awesome! I have the most fun in this game when in epic firefights. I got to the point where I could just graze the godlands, which was where I had the most fun. Unfortunately, the firefights can get much too hectic, but sometimes for the wrong reasons. There should be a limit on the amount of enemies that can be firing on you (or aiming at you at least), because often the current load of enemies might be a bit too much to handle, so you back off a bit, but then another armada appears behind you! You retreat from them as well, but more enemies keep appearing. Another reason why firefights can get annoyingly intense is because there are always other players spamming attacks, making enemy bullets indiscernible (and therefore impossible to dodge). Also, the field of view is far too narrow to suit the gameplay; it's just really hard to see where enemies are (I've never even seen a cube god because I've had to keep back). Oh, and rotating camera is silly (but the people who do use it use it so that they have a greater field of view, at the expense of co-ordination).

I'm also not so sure if item death is suitable for this gameplay, but it certainly does add value to your life, but can also cause paranoia and frustration upon death. Having the severe penalty for death makes players far too cautious. I barely get a good look at most big enemies because their wall of attacks is enough to keep me at bay (and really getting in on the action). Unfortunately, the developers have made it much too easy to die. I think that because the item death is in place, players' lives should be prolonged; it should be much harder to die. An example of how ridiculously easy it is to die, is that it can literally take no more than a second for you to be obliterated, even at level 20. This is because most attacks aren't ended upon collision with the player (and you can hence get multiple damage per bullet) and damage is stacked. Stacked damage is the worst thing of all, and gives the player no time to react if caught in a firefight (and using inventory items is a pain, even with hotkeys). Other killers; brighter coloured bullets are not visible in the snow biome, annoying state attacks like blind and confusion (but I am fine with things like quiet and armor pierce), and stupidly fast enemies such as sprites and some spiders. Despite these things I do think it is quite tense and exciting to try and survive (but the escape to Nexus key kind of take the piss out of this).

The inventory is annoying because it is hard to use potions with ease. You can bind each slot to a hotkey, which is what I do (HP and MP potions bound to Q and E), but they keybind has to be unique, meaning instead of simply having 1 key for use with all HP potions and 1 key for use with all MP potions, they have to have unique inventory bound keys. Another problem with the inventory (or just items in general) is looting. Grabbing loot from sacks, chests and graves is crazy. There are that many other players that it can impossible to grab the loot first. The developers should make it so that if you are holding onto an item with your mouse, it is treated as being taken from the bag, not when it is placed in your inventory. Also, sometimes I will be grazing in the godlands, and get a good fight against a more difficult god such as a Medusa or Ghost king, and fight that enemy completely on my own, and once I've defeated it, anyone can snatch my drops! I always feel completely cheated when this happens. Same thing goes for when enemies drop portals, especially undead lairs and demon abysses. I absolutely hate having to do a dungeon with another person, because the playerbase is completely stingy; full of scammers, noobs and thieves. Whenever I have to do a dungeon with someone else, they always rush the enemies, grab loot, and defeat dungeon boss, all before I do (not to mention I like to take dungeons slow for my own safety). I know there are soul-bound drops from enemies, but that only ever seems to be for stat pots (when it's staves and robes that I care about).

Quite simply, I realise that Realm of The Mad God has been designed to be very co-operative heavy (some enemies can only be defeated with more than 5 players, encouraging player spam), but this game just isn't fun to play with other people. I think it would be great to play on small servers of no more than 16 people, or just with a few friends. That would mean that co-ordination would actually be possible. Although I know that this game has been developed very much as a typical MMORPG. I can see from the way that the game has been made that the developers want to people to play a certain way; they make goals difficult and unrealistic, and ensure that the game has an addictive element that will enslave players. Having to pay to buy more storage space is ridiculous. I believe that you should never have to play to have a fulfilled gaming experience, that paid items should not affect gameplay at all (just as clothing colours and pets do, and clothing colours are a blatant scam, as you lose them upon death.

My final qualm with Realm of The Mad God that I will put forward is the terrain/exploration. The world is far too bland. Maps are comprised mostly of noisily placed objects such as trees and rocks. The worlds are very straightforward and unvarying, and the goal of the game is a simple one, and the only one (Oryx is the only mad god in the game? Really?). The enemies are limited, and you will find yourself having seen and defeated each monster with just a few hours of in-depth play. Also, leveling up is completely pointless with such an easily reachable cap. There is literally no point to leveling up, it is just an annoying way to begin a life. I could go on but I won't, I won't be playing this game much anymore.

DrZaloski, Gofio and Neat like this.
  18. Neat

Now you see exactly why I gave it up, dying is frustrating and far too easy. I agree with practically everything you said. When I gave it up the game was just so addictive that I found it really hard to just close the window, I wanted to play it, but I knew later down the line i'd just be cursing and getting frustrated for not clicking the nexus button soon enough. Even if you're good, you'll get frustrated :/

Excellent review. If I could like this a dozen times I would.

19. Eggnogg

I think the most obvious thing is that the developers are trying to get players addicted. The game has been around for what looks like a long time, but it doesn't look like it's changed much, at all. I can also see that there isn't exactly a big or strong community.

I would post my 'review' on their forums, but I know it would most likely be ignored anyway.

Also, I feel you when you say you wanted to play, even though you knew it was bad. I think that's the addictive element trying to pull players back in. In fact, I might try to experiment with the bullet hell+rpg concept myself, because I think it can be pulled off much better (Realm of The Mad God doesn't even need to be multiplayer, it doesn't have to be).

20. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

when i figth bosses i rape my spacebar and drink all of my potions

Mods: BlueLuigi