1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Remove Boulder Drilling [984]

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Alpaca, Jan 2, 2014.

?

What would you like to be done with boulders?

1. Remove the boulder's ability to break doors.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Nerf the boulder to do less damage to doors.

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Remove boulders entirely.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Increase the price of boulders and keep everything else the same.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Decrease boulder's thrown momentum.

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Do nothing to boulders at all.

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Didn't you say you designed some boulder-proof structures 101i? they may aid this discussion.

Also, every point you raised has been raised already in this thread @datooie so it came across as more of a rant then a valid argument, though I know you didn't mean for this.

If your complaint is boulder knight being too strong, then simply kill them before they get close. (And if you can't kill the enemies knight's, you've already lost the game.)

There are a lot of reasons I could bring up now, but I feel I've already said them all before.

2. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

having actually useful builders like in classic would be a much better stalemate breaker than some shit mechanic that lets you 1 hit doors

3. datooie

datooie Catapult Fodder

Why is that beneficial? I don't see a problem with keeping out knights with stone doors. They already have bombs and bomb jumping, not to mention kegs. My whole point was that knights shouldn't be able to singlehandedly break through a decent base without the help of other classes or more expensive techs like kegs. It's supposed to be a team game.

I just read through the entire thread again, and while some of my points were similar to others, not a lot has been discussed in terms of class balance.

How is that a valid argument? If you think they aren't too strong, say that. If they are too strong, then they should nerfed, right?

4. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Without boulder dashing, more stalemates would occur. Bomb jumping has a limit on its heights, and with all these huge minecraft buildings kegs barely do shit.
    Until they give builder some decent weapon like in classic, Boulder drilling is the only decent way into their base right now.

I lost them :P

5. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

If that is your problem, you really are just a shit knight. There are a lot of ways around stone doors, and boulders aren't the only one.

Boulders really don't have a counter as it is, other than a good knight camping inside the door waiting for boulderers to come. But then that knight isn't out on the field killing the other guys.

hierbo and Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants like this.
  6. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

There are many ways to get over/through buildings without the use of a boulder...
    • Bomb jumping
    • Wall floating
    • Arrow ladders
    • Catapults
    • Chickens
    • Using siege weapons on the tower
    • Kegs
    • Drills
    • Other classes (you know, having builders do what builders are good at...?)
    And plenty more. Losing one overpowered, broken mechanic only promotes the use of other means. I see no downside to removing the boulder's function as an uberdrill.

Mfw everyone arguing to keep boulders in their current state is Australian

datooie, Alpaca and Auburn like this.
  7. Darksteel

I'm sorry, you think what's a broken Mechanic?

8. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

It's a very situational one, with 101 counters, which Geti has confirmed he will leave in the game.

Refer to other threads in the forum as to reasons why it's not all that broken.

9. Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants Insanity Incarnate Donator

Well, I was going to write a huge rant on how boulders make drills and doors a lot less useful, but I kept editing it and erasing bits, so here, have a short stupid sentence:

I hayt boldr driling an it shud b nrfed.

I hate being so picky with my writing...

10. 101i

• Bomb jumping, a high enough wall will stop this.
    • Wall floating, a curve in the wall will fix this
    • Arrow ladders, refer to above
    • Catapults, take forever to get through walls and easily destroyed by builders.
    • Chickens, refer to top statement
    • Kegs, https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/954-grid-structure.17541/
    • Drills, Bridges and doors make drills over heat quickly.

My post was referring to @Darksteel making a pointless wall during AUSS vs POWER cw ;-;

EDIT:
    Everyone arguing to remove it because its 'OP' is American ;-;

11. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

• Most maps have a low skybox, double bombjumps can easily overcome 99% of towers.
    • You can bombjump from a wallfloat
    • Arrow ladders work at any angle, people are just plebs and dunno how to fucking climb them
    • Catapults are quite fast if close enough, you just need a strong knightwall. They also tear through backwall like an angry bison through archers
    • Depends on if you just jumped with a chicken, or used a catapult/tramp cannon
    • Nobody will build that
    • Drill around the doors, duh. What are you, australian? :rollseyes:
    Oh and FYI, I'm Canadian. :wink:

You people just don't want it removed because you like having mechanics you can abuse. Your judgement is clouded because you enjoy using it so much. Kinda like how @Darksteel is only defending it so much because he made a guide on it.

Auburn likes this.
  12. 101i

You list all those things, but you only complain about Boulder drilling.

Oh and FYI, last time I checked Canada is in America :rollseyes:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  13. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Then fucking explain to me how boulder drilling is "balanced". Please. give me 3 reasons.

I can give you at least 5 on how each of the things i mentioned is pretty well balanced.

Also, we're a part of North America. Calling a Canadian an American is just.. insulting. :u

14. 101i

• Boulders slow down players holding them or use all their inventory space
    • Boulders can be broken easily.
    • Spikes around a door stops Boulder knights.
    • Boulders can be stolen <3
    • Can only go through doors. (No getting their flag when its completely surrounded by stone

15. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

This discussion isn't just about knights though. Fact still stands that it's too cheap for what it can do, it's significantly more effective against doors than any other tool in the game, while costing less than all of those tools.

Boulders should be limited to being used for ammo/traps/defense. I should be able to hurl a boulder off my tower to kill someone without fear of them using it to rek all of my doors or turn my knights into a fine paste.

It's blatantly unbalanced. I have still yet to see a good reason why boulder drilling should exist.

If it never existed before, you wouldn't suggest it. It doesn't make sense. But i'm sick of discussing with people who have their head so adamantly in the clouds over the whole situation.

16. 101i

Because then nothing stops builds wall building all of stone doors :P
    Your right, I agree a nerf should be in place.
    I rest my case <3

17. Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants Insanity Incarnate Donator

Oh god my head. What is that first sentence...

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Darksteel

I agree with this statement;

@101i go drunk, your home.

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants and Trumbles like this.
  19. 101i

Erm, that sentence is confusing me ;-;.

20. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Since this thread has reached 100 posts and nothing really good has come out of it, I propose @Alpaca mssg a forum mod and make a poll for this thread to determine what the community thinks should be done.

Something like this should suffice.

Question: What would you like to be done with boulders?

1. Remove the boulder's ability to break doors.
    2. Nerf the boulder to do less damage to doors.
    3. Remove the boulder entirely.
    4. Increase the price of boulders and keep everything else the same.
    5. Decrease boulder's thrown momentum.
    6. Do nothing to boulders at all.

If you think any other answers should be added to this, post below.

I personally think boulders should be removed from the game entirely. They were created with the purpose of being special ammo for catapults. Though, they are never used as ammo for catas, only for destroying doors up close, and throwing at enemies and killing them 1 hit. The amount of work needed to fix boulders is too much for such a small reward. Without "Boulder Drilling", boulders essentially lose their only purpose in the game. So, removing them, IMO, is the best route to take in this situation.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    kodysch and Trumbles like this.
Mods: Rainbows