1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Roller Coaster Tycoon series

Discussion in 'Other games' started by 8x, May 29, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So it's time to talk about it.

RCT1 was one of my fav games when I was younger, together with Zelda and Mario 64, and other random ones. Played RCT2 and 3 a bit, but the first is possibly the best one.

It's an amusement park simulator (simulator?) or RTS, which came after Theme Park and RailRoad Tycoon. Together with the latter, it was made by Chris Sawyer. RCT1 was developed with a hired artist and a hired musician. Here the trailer they have now for the deluxe version which "includes RollerCoaster Tycoon and its two expansions: Corkscrew Follies and Loopy Landscapes". When I was a kid I watched this a lot, it's the intro of the game.

The best thing of the game is probably constructing roller coasters and other railed rides, giving shape to the terrain editing the level of the ground, the paths, the gardens etc.

I also adored the music of the "Merry go Round" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVvS61sQyL8&list=PL57D37385A12A270B ), unique feel, and whose rights were held by Chris' father; the isometric view; the Karts; the challenges and the diversity of the levels; and the atmosphere in general: all these visitors eating pizza, cotton, burgers... Constructing and designing things virtually was such a great joy, Minecraft and all the new era games didn't discover that!

Thing is it's at the humblebundle store, at steam as well, but it was first offered as a digital download by GOG.com iirc. Kudos for them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Stevedog, Anonymuse and NinjaCell like this.
  2. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Not played a lot of this, but it has always looked fun.

3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

hmm, I know I have the discs (yes kids, PC games used to come in the form of discs, not downloads) sitting around somewhere in the house for 2 & 3. I might try to install them on my computer and have another go at them.

4. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I got RCT2 from a box of Cheerios like 10+ years ago or something. Amazing game as a kid.

5. Ohmygod that song. I played this game so much as a kid. My favorite roller coaster was that loopy one that sent them into the air. You could tweak the speed settings on it to send them flying into an explosive death :rektlord:

6. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Me and my brother used to play that all the time.. We would get a super popular park make it so they couldnt leave (with the no entry signs at the entrance) make a path that goes to the top of the sky and make more no entry signs so they couldnt escape and once we got em all to the top we would delete the path they were on and they would fall all the way down

7. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Played the second on the old xbox, loved that and got one on PC... Where you can ride the rides yourself etc. think that ones the third, anyway i got expansion packs for it or something and trapped the park inspector in a square fenced area right in the edge if the zoo. Then continued as I liked..... Never did like that park inspector....

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'll never forget this game. When I was a kid, I made a crazy huge park based on the one level where you have to build across a highway, I made it alien themed (cuz I was obsessed with aliens as a kid) and the whole park was so popular that I was making crazy amounts of money. I was able to charge like $60+ for simple rides like the haunted cart ride, and upwards of $100+ for rollercoasters... I saved it for a while on an old computer, but it ended up lost...

9. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

My get rich quick scam was making a go cart track with a huge price.... they'd pay anything for go carts..

thebonesauce likes this.
  10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'd pay anything for carts too heh.

I liked to make lots of carts tracks, together at the same area and surrounding the roller coasters. I remember as a kid I read the whole game manual, and one of the tips they gave was to make different railed rides in the same area, running near or surrounding each other's paths. That was crazy and pretty effective.

thebonesauce likes this.
  11. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I dunno, maybe some of you guys did this...

I would make a Karting track really high in the sky, and it would just be a simple O track, really small... I called it Death Races, I would pit two random people together, and whoever the loser was, I picked them up and dropped them into a pond. Hahaha

Mods: BlueLuigi