1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Saws

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Contrary, Nov 29, 2013.

1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

If I understand you suggestions correctly, you're saying that doors must be adjacent to a non-door solid tile on at least one side, correct? If I am, in fact, reading that correctly, could abusers not simply just build 2 doors and a wood block repeatedly? If so, I think the door hells would still be quite easy to make, unfortunately.

2. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This is true and more steps would need to be taken for the problem to be entirely eliminated. But on the other hand the problem here is not what is possible to do, but what is actually done. I don't have conclusive evidence but I'd venture a guess that door spammers are not the most skilled players in this game and that these extra bit of effort could be an effective deterrent.

So I agree it is not a perfect solution but given the long laundry list of even more pressing issues in this game I would be satisfied with this concession.

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Actually I'm highly skilled as a builder, and even I realize the value of door spamming. Hate it all you want, but it's essentially a ladder my team can pass through, stronger than regular wooden blocks, if the doors are broken they leave behind wood backwall which I can just seal up again, and door spam is also the direct inspiration for multiple wins on levels with water as my team could pop under them to avoid enemies and pop back out for free hits.

Wooden doors are just too cheap. Make them cost 20 more wood and you'll see a dramatic decrease in door spam overnight.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly I really don't see wood door spam as an issue, that shit burns very well. Maybe in TTH if you tech into a corner you get fucked, in CTF i just lob a handful of fire arrows if I see people spamming, seems to kill their boner for it.
    In my eyes the adjacent solid block requirement would just make it less convenient for the builder and at least in some ways more realistic, as the most door-dense but still passable in all directions structure would be squares of doors with 2x2 empty space in the middle, which is hardly fun to move around in and consumes much more auxiliary material for every set of doors a knight has to chew through.

@Klokinator you've posted the link to that thread in here twice now, yes I've seen it.

5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Oh did I? /checks

oh

sorry

6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

What? The checksum eliminates the abuse completely, since you'll actually be able to burn those doors without using 2000 fire arrows.

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Actually you have a point, with regards to cancer towers. I had forgotten those were the second issue with doors.

8. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

I know people a-many are saying that saws should be like saw blades on a stick, and I agree. I think that you can either make a saw mill like Raelian said, or have a stick-saw.
    The stick-saw is just a saw that actually cuts the tree down. It takes 5 seconds to cut the entire tree down, and then it can either cut up the planks with the stick saw, or you can take it to the mill and have it be turned into planks after another 5 seconds. I think that there should also be an option to have treated wood, so you can choose regular planks, which takes 1 log, turns it into 50 planks, and takes 5 seconds to create. Whereas the treated wood require 3 logs, turns it into 30 treated planks, which are stronger and have a darker color, and takes 10 seconds to create. And of course, each of these sawed planks give less than normal.

9. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

Treated wood is an interesting idea, perhaps just as susceptible to fire but stronger against knights?

10. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Yes, I was going for just more resistant to anything. Fire will take 2 more hits to destroy, or knights take 3 more hits to destroy, or whatever.