1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server configuration tool with a GUI

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Maqq, Jan 22, 2012.

1. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

Where did you install KAG? You have to install it to some directory that doesn't require administrator privileges.

2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

C/KAG.

3. JacKD

Can you try deleting the file /Logs/pid.txt ? Seems that KAG can't write to it for some reason, probably not related to this tool (or maybe KAG for that matter) maybe some other file has it locked? Try it and tell me if it works
    </br>--- merged: Sep 15, 2012 11:51 PM ---</br>
    NEW VERSION!

Download from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65858755/KAGServerConfigTool/KAG_Server_Config_Tool.zip
    or let it auto-update!

*How To Use *
    Extract the contents of the zip file to your KAG (or KAG server) folder
    On Windows start the app double clicking the file KAGServer.exe
    On Linux start the app executing the RunKAGServerCT.sh script on a terminal window
    On Mac OS X, try the same as in Linux and let me know if it works
    Hit F1 for help! (on Windows at least)

*Latest Changes *
    15/09/2012
    -Fixed: check for team number when creating a team
    -Fixed: missing map formats from map selection dialog
    -Fixed: decimal step for faster deltas
    -Added: can shield bash GUI option
    -Added: can glide when bombjumping GUI option
    -Added: bomb jump scale factor GUI option
    -Added: fall damage threshold GUI option
    -Added: in game autobalance GUI option
    -Removed: output redirection. Caused more problems than it solved.

4. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Still 'Can't open file for writing logs/pid.txt'

5. JacKD

Try uninstalling the game, deleting the folder (backup anything you may need) and then reinstalling the game. This is an issue related to KAG and/or your PC configuration, the file seems to be locked for writing, or you don't have enough permissions to write to it.

You could try installing to a different folder (the new KAG default is C:\Users\MyUser\KAG).

6. Mazey

Still not working.

7. JacKD

It's a problem with your computer then, there's not much I can do for you without more information.
    Did you try making a server using the dedicatedserver.bat file? If that fails too, then there is something wrong with your computer config and I can't help you with that.

8. Mazey

When I use dedicated.bat it doesn't apear in server browser.

9. JacKD

Then there's something wrong with your computer configuration and I cannot help you with that, I'm sorry. Try it on another computer and uninstalling and reinstalling to another folder. I can't do much more to help you.

10. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

No change to support Reserved / Spectator slots? Bah!

11. JacKD

I've yet to see a server that actually uses said feature, so I don't have it quite in my wishlist. Suggestions are of course more welcomed than ranting :)

12. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

I did suggest it. A while ago. I want to use the feature (and I've seen a few servers which do), but seeing as I run my server through this tool, I can't. :<

13. JacKD

I've checked previous posts and you did actually suggest that. However I haven't had enough time to implement said feature. I'll let you know when I do :)
    </br>--- merged: Sep 17, 2012 8:03 PM ---</br>
    I pushed a small update to configure reserved/spectator slots and "enable join when full", however the configuration related to "who" is a privileged user that can join a reserved slot or join when the server is full still has to be configured manually. Spectator slots should be working. Tell me if it doesn't :)

Cirom likes this.
  14. buster-boy17

buster-boy17 suries gard

Hey guys I am not sure what I am doing but how the hell do you put your kag.exe into the server.exe?.

15. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

Okay, a bit of weirdness with the server launcher thingy at the moment. The "Console Output" isn't going into the console output thing in the server program, but it's opening up a console window with the console output in it. I wouldn't have much of a problem with this if it didn't mess with the "Players Connected" counter. :<

16. JacKD

You don't actually put the kag.exe file in the kagserver.exe. They only have to be in the same *folder*.

Read the changelog as it was noted there that output redirection has been removed as it caused some problems. The "players connected" label will be fixed in the next update probably, I'll just use the KAG API to update the number every once in a while.

17. Rubixxcube

Rubixxcube Bison Rider

Two problems. First off, whenever I try to create a new gamemode, I can get pretty far into it, but it eventually breaks and an error comes up. Also, when I try to make my own teams and add them to the game, the teams themselves show up in the server, but when you pick them and try to spawn in, the countdown goes to zero and nothing happens. Any help would be great.

One more thing. When you press New Game Mode, the old teams you had come up, so for example if you had 4 teams before and you want to make a gamemode with 2, you're pretty much fucked, because there's no way to delete teams.

18. JacKD

Have you tried with the most recente release? I've created game modes using the app and I've encountered no such problem. Do keep in mind that playing with configs you don't know, can result in unexpected errors. This app only makes it easier to play with the config, you do have to know what you are doing.

Yes, this is a problem I'm going to try to resolve in a new update. Meanwhile you can delete teams going to the folder for your gamemode and deleting the "MyTeamName" files e.g. "MyTeamName.teamconfig" and "MyTeamName.cfg". In fact, deleting the .teamconfig file will remove it from the teams, but there's no reason to leave the other file there :P

19. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16 Ballista Bolt Thrower

hey JackD I can't spawn in my server ether. can you post a video on how to set up spawns?

20. JacKD

There are 2 possible problems related to the "no spawn" problem.

First, your map has to have spawning points, check the map making tutorial if you are making your own maps. If you download them, and you think they are working, keep reading.

Second, if you created a gamemode using the tool, you have to create also the teams and the classes for each team. That means that you have to click on the "Team editor" and "Class editor" menus on the toolbar and configure the classes sprites, stats, team classes, etc.

Do that and post here if that solved your problem. This is a known issue noted on the release notes, that I will try to fix in a future update.