1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server Management [Need Input]

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Wolf95, Nov 7, 2011.

1. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

both rather vague... care to expand?

2. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah as a coding and server admin noob Im pretty lost :P

3. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Would you rather have a interface like cPanel or a interface like eyeOS is what i meant.

4. Noburu

Well what is eyeOS? iOS?

EDIT: Herp derp googled: www.eyeos.org

I dont have any experience with eyeOS but cPanel seems fine to me.

5. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I guess I'll work on "Single Window" mode, and then when I figure out javascript better I'll work on that :P Single window mode being similar to cPanel, just depends on Ajax/http requests to display.

6. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Hello, I was working on the Log Parser, and it seems VERY hard to keep track of players, is there a way to add a notification when a user disconnects, and how to say which one? Also I am very confused by the Scripts directory, what does it enable/allow the server to accomplish?

7. trelawney

The only people able to satisfy your request are MM and Geti (read: the developers). Hope they're watching.

Files under Base/Scripts (especially dedicated_autoconfig.gm) are the main server setup files (you set port/interface/passwords/slots/gamemode in dedicated_autostart.gm etc). If you're not familiar with them I suggest checking the wiki. The thing is some properties of the server are scattered in other places, e.g. CTF-specific stuff under /Base/Rules/CTF/gamemode.cfg and so on.

P.S Be patient and when this is over and the CLI server management tool is out, you'd have a chance of looking at its source and maybe modify/adopt your panel accordingly.

8. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I have a basic CLI "Panel-Version" (SSH->Runs script with params)that can perform some basic management tasks, create server, remove server, suspend/unsuspend, change basic settings, and manage the map cycle, but I was just curious about this because idk if there is a way to add some sort of a script to display a message when a user logs off.

9. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I just updated KAG on my test environment to test my update handler, I got this, any ideas?
    *I think it's just a missing library since the update, is there a way to DL it?

[root@dev kag]# ./createversion.sh
    Running KAGcreate version file
    mv: cannot stat `KAG.tmp': No such file or directory
    ./KAG: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

10. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I've got the desktop for the alpha fairly done, it looks kinda bad, but then again, I just have to revise some CSS to make it look better. This was just a demo script that models the potential of this, it has a Taskbar, Desktop, Icons, and eventually I'll add a tray so that you'll be able to see all of your different servers down there and their status.

Link: http://kogcp.info/?p=5

Noburu likes this.
  11. Noburu

Looking good but shouldnt it be KAGcp and not KOGcp?

12. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I originated off of the idea of KAGcp but then I thought about the future, and I thought it would be nice if it was able to support multiple apps, and I thought of Kog (as in like a gear-sort of thing) and then I put the two together to come up with the new name. But my main focus for now is finalizing the KAG portion of the software so we can have a functional web software, shouldn't be long now, I'm guessing about 2 weeks, but then again if any difficulties come up it may take a lil longer to squash the bugs, if anybody is interested in being a beta tester please let me know.

Also: System is open for the potential of multiple SQL drivers, and multiple Client drivers. I'd like to know:
    1) Besides MySQL what Databases would you like to see in the cp?
    2) Would you rather have the system use ssh2 or a basic inetd/linux based program? Eventually I do plan on adding a Windows Client, I just have to learn some more windows functions.
    3) API-wise what features do you think are REQUIRED and which do you think would be good to have?

13. Noburu

14. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Alright, so is it pretty much just SSH? Or is there software for you to use that is installed? Also do they limit the Ports you can use so they reserve access to the IP for other servers?

15. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I've just posted a preliminary guideline for the API, all programs will be organized into "groups" which will be similar to plans so if some account is setup with the information "KAG" They will have all programs associated with group "KAG" automatically placed on their desktop.
    Link: http://kogcp.info/?p=13
    Note: More API details will be listed in the future.

16. Noburu

Im almost positive they limit ports. Im a linux noob for the most part though, but I can ssh in and give you a list of installed programs if you tell me the command :P

17. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

There is no particular way to tell if they change ports, unless you are willing to mess with your server config, in which case you could run nano or vim to edit the file, change the port, and then see if it changes back, I'm assuming they do limit your port, because it would raise the cost quite a bit because the IP would have to be dedicated to that program which typically is around $1.50/IP. (to view your config file just run 'cat configfile') where configfile is the name of the config file.

18. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

For the server management, I've been trying to "Protect the server" by setting limits on resources and such, and while there doesn't appear to be a complete solution, I plan on using a combination of ulimit and limits.conf, which brings me to my question: 1) Is KAG Multi-Threaded?, and 2) Has anybody calculated RAM Usage/player avg, CPU, etc.(I've seen posts about KAG and they all say it's CPU intensive, and that Ram isn't real high, i'd just like to see numbers :P

trelawney likes this.
  19. trelawney

1) No
    2) Different people will give you different figures, or rather, Geti will most likely know. I'll forward this question to him.

If you could post a separate ulimit tutorial for us it'd be much appreciated (maybe added to the server wiki too)

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey, sorry for being late in with this response, I've been overseas for the last while and unable to check the forums as often as I usually would.

RAM usage should stay low, from what I've seen allow for 500MB to 750MB though it varies with player number and latency a little as well as map size, naturally.

CPU usage is horribly variable and seems to scale polynomially with player number (CPU usage is roughly proportional to the square of the number of players), which is something we're working on minimising in the future.

Around 50 players the game usually crashes, though that may be fixed with the coming update. No promises though as we don't have the resources to test that sort of thing in advance.

If you drop into IRC and ask the user "incarnum" about his server he'll be able to give you more numeric answers, he runs INCARNUM CTF which commonly hosts high player matches. He'll be able to give you actual numbers.