1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server resources?

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Foxodi, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

So with Australia dedicated server prices being unreasonable for any KAG server; VPS seems the only option. So what kind of ram/cpu does a KAG server need to run smoothly?
    I'm looking at 512mb ram (1gb burst), and hoping to get a 32player server.

2. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I'd be content with just like a, 12-16 player server :<

3. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

A busy 16-slot could go anywhere up to 5GB of traffic per day (which considering Australian bandwidth prices might be a deterrent), but on the other hand you should be able to host it on 256MB VPS, with maps of about 300 tiles width/height. Waiting for incarnum's input on this one, as he's running bigger servers and could give you specific information as to the minimum resources you'd need.

Foxodi likes this.
  4. incarnum

incarnum Shopkeep Stealer

Hello,

You should be fine with 512MB of RAM for the server, but I am not sure on what CPU % will they give you with the VPS and what CPU will that be, I am hosting the 50-80 player server on a dedicated machine with a quad core xeon class processor, and the CPU usage jumps up to 50 and 80% on 50 and 80 player setting respectively.

You can decrease the CPU usage by modifying the delta compression variable in the dedicated_autoconfig file in your Base/Scripts directory, however that produces massive bandwidth exhaustion (KAG used 3.15TB this month so far)

If they give you a little % of a core on the VPS, you might get it suspended for over usage.

It would be wise to look into what CPU is the master node having and how many percent of a core they give per container.

A little note before I finish this post, I have noticed KAG server having a memory leak which resulted memory usage going up to 1.8GB. However you can have scripts controlling that, for example God, alternatively, you can look into setting ulimit for the user that will be running the server.

Forgot to add, I am running a 1000x150 map, which may result in abnormal CPU usage as well when a lot of stuff is happening on the map.

Foxodi and trelawney like this.
  5. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Thank you for your help; the sites seem pretty sketchy providing CPU details for VPS so I'll send some emails and post back here later this week.
    I'll be doing a much smaller map then that.

And Eggnogg I require a large server so I can bomb more people up/prevent turtlers making me rage :)

6. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

So CPU usage is heavily correlated with number of players? I might get a single core 2.4ghz 300mb for a RDM server. Asking what class the processor is now.

7. incarnum

incarnum Shopkeep Stealer

Hello,

If you're aiming for smaller servers, I believe a 2.4 GHz single-core processor will do just fine!

8. Bly

Bly Ballista Bolt Thrower

does it cost money to make your own server

9. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Depends. If you want a temporary server so you and a couple of your mates can have a bit of KAG, you don't have to pay a dime.
    If you want a dedicated KAG server that's on all the time (theoretically at least) it'll cost you money in the form of a VPS/dedicated server rental - prices vary from 12 AUD to 500 AUD (really, there's no limit) depending on the hardware employed and bandwidth usage.

10. Bly

Bly Ballista Bolt Thrower

oh dear ok thanks