1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Shiprekt begginer tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metalcallous, Apr 9, 2014.

1. KingXandercosm

KingXandercosm Shipwright

Ohhhhh! That's a good idea! I also think that you should be able to go rogue. You wouldn't have to be on any team. You'd just enable a "rogue" option and you could be a lone pirate.

JPD likes this.
  2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There's this good tactic of trying to link all the scrap you find at the battle: you get cheap constructions at the outside of your main ship for ramming. I do this everytime i can and works great, plus making some specific ramminf fingers at the sides or at front, to hit enemies with a movement based on a single rotation.

Here my last ScrapShips

screen-14-04-12-22-12-29.png screen-14-04-13-18-09-51.png screen-14-04-13-18-41-30.png

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  3. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I think it would be neat if there was some kind of permadeath option for this mod, so that your little team can stay little and survival is actually an accomplishment and not just who filtered into the last team after fucking up 10 times.

4. dead players used to become sharks but that was very boring

current system was okay in testing since nobody griefed but once released upon the pleb...

5. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Respawning was what took out the challenge from ZF mode for me (although it's kind of autistic to begin with since the whole idea is camping). Anyway, griefers are basically in heaven, because they grief not once, but many times with none of the boring breaks that would normally result from killing one's team in any other game, because they just end up on the next team.

Beelzebub likes this.
  6. KingXandercosm

I agree. I think there should at least be a "permadeath" mode for people who like a challenge.

7. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

Am I the only one that noticed that its impossible to tell, if your team spawner got already destroyed? The teams are separated with colors but the chat message mention the wrecked team with a team number...

I played on a modded shiprekt server a few days ago, with random 1-4 block tiles, defusing bombs and a new spawner tile. Was pretty nice, never saw a single griefer, ... never saw my team after abandoning ship with one of those spawner tiles, thou.

And I noticed beeing the only one liking "tile line drawing" never had lag problems cause of this, but I got kicked of the last server because of that.

8. KingXandercosm

I love Chrispin's 'cause the portable building pads promote mini-boats and the mines... Ugh... The god damn mines are so much easier to deal with...

Also, I have to say, I've been kicked out of a number of Shiprekt servers for "griefing". Because there are just so many instances where it LOOKS like someone is griefing but they aren't. And then, of course, some rager gets angry and starts a vote and you're a goner. That's the one thing I hate about votes: Most people just assume that they should vote for the guy to get kicked when they can't even see what he is doing. Even I do it! And then the poor sap doesn't even get to plead his case...

9. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

Some of the posts in this thread gave me the idea of making a small, but relatively fast and manueverable ship, and then putting a bunch of mines and guns and walls and other stuff around it (basically making a mine field). Then when someone comes to attack me they will have to go through it with the big ship, but I can just slip through the cracks with my tiny ship and get away.

metalcallous likes this.
  10. KingXandercosm

11. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

To get back on topic I want to give a tip about the torpedo thing(and any other ramming device). If you have bombs on it, put them in the back. That way any solid blocks on the front of the torpedo chew through the ship going near the core. Then the bombs can go off making it more effective. If you put bombs on the front and they go off you will lose a lot of speed.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  12. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

for sale: competent admin
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2014, Original Post Date: Apr 16, 2014 ---
    It also might help if the people that can drive the boat were restricted to the first people on the team, because they are most likely to suck the least. In addition, preventing bombs from being placed too close to a friendly core and allowing them to be defused properly (one server I was on had that and others didn't) would go a long way towards preventing some of the stupid shit that currently happens.

Apronymous and crackwise like this.
  13. KingXandercosm

14. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

Thank you OP, lovely guide <3
    edit: Also loving the FTL references

15. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

A few things to add:
    (I've noticed these are all common enough strategies so they're probably how you should always play)

1) Protect your core with plenty bombs, the explosions will keep you safe.

2) If someone is building something connected by chains, be sure to secure it with something else, otherwise your precious torpedoes could become separated form your boat.

3) Place all engines facing outwards in each direction, otherwise you risk being able to turn.

4) Always be driving, especially while teammates try to build. If you stay put, they will build smaller boats and attempt to escape.

5) Wall in your core. Make it utterly impossible to reach a certain side of your ship from your core. Any remaining ways in should involve a labyrinth and no less than 2 close encounters with sharks. (If your teammates are in the water trying to swim to the side you walled off, see tip #4)

Follow these tips and you'll be so good, nobody will even want to be on your team for fear you'll make them look bad.

16. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Don't forget to always activate bombs that are on your ships. The explosions activate a reaction in the wood nearby, making the wood stronger.

17. KingXandercosm

Thus, making you the ultimate pirate in the wreckage-filled sea!

18. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

If you need to be told that, you shouldn't even be playing.

19. KingXandercosm

Yeah! Only noobs don't know stuff like that! I mean who would be that stupid?!

20. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Only those who think cannons have infinite ammo.