1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

small mod: Increased colour saturation/brighter gold. Updated for B51

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snow, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Snow

Snow Guest

First, NO DISRESPECT AT ALL to Geti. The pixel art is absolutely beautiful.. I'm in love with it.

I just wanted the colours to pop out more - more like NES colours.. so all I did for the sprites was simply increase colour saturation to 115%. (Tiles are also in the sprite folder) The gold was a more meticulous job, but it pops out very nice. Since Geti said in another thread that a possibility might be to add a glow to the gold, this kind of gives it a glowing look.. for now.. for those that use this.

Here's some screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the modded sprites folder:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lyahqqlr4h8ykk6

*BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL SPRITES FOLDER FIRST*

The sprites folder located in KAG/Base.

Also, Geti, if you're not ok with this, feel free to delete this thread. I'm an artist myself, so I know what it feels like to have someone mess with the look. I'm not in anyway *intending* to detract from what you want it to look like.

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's fine, as long as its very clearly not presented as my work I'm fine with edit mods and the like, as well as full blown TCs if you're game. We're hoping to increase the clarity of the sprites (especially the tiles) over the coming while as we look into other ways of shading the terrain, potentially leading to a line-of-sight system for rendering.

However, I digress. This is a fine mod and a fine solution to your particular problem :)

Oh, also, it's good to hear that you're liking the art.

...We might need to set up a mods subforum at some point, and provide official support for loading actor sprites per-team etc to prevent people from fishing around in the folders too much.

3. who

who Shopkeep Stealer

Looks good, but unlike most people I don't seem to have a problem telling gold apart from dirt.

4. Snow

Snow Guest

Thanks Geti,

I figured you would be ok with it, but it's always best to make sure. I'm glad you like it. And, yes, your pixel art is very nice and perfect for this game.

5. Snow

Snow Guest

Hi admins, can this be moved to texture packs please and thank you? :)

I'll update this for Build 51 shortly.

6. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It would be relatively easy to make a postprocessing shader that would do that effect. I might do that if I find a little time.
    The shader could also make old TV scanlines and reduce the palette to a NES one!

trelawney likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Guest

As long as I can increase the saturation of the colours to 115% (which makes it look like NES colours and the colours pop out more) and that the gold is nice and yellow and pops out.

8. Snow

Snow Guest

Uploaded Build 51 Sprites folder. I decided to keep the old gold tiles though. I find they look better than the new ones. Enjoy