1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Windows [Solved]Alt-Tab Breaks Game Completely

Discussion in 'Help' started by Bailesaur, Nov 29, 2015.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Bailesaur

Bailesaur Catapult Fodder

I have never seen anything like this before. When I alt-tab and bring up KAG again, it only shows part of the game. This requires me to restart the game every time something in the background alt-tabs me, or I need to alt-tab to look at something.

2. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yeah, I've been getting problems like that as well, but it's not every time I alt tab. It's some kind of resolution mix up. Sometimes the more I alt tab, the more and more off-center it gets. Also the mouse cursor becomes inaccurate, and certain icons break, like the flag indicators leave their boxes. Does that sound like what you've been experiencing?

Related thread

If it happens again, I'll try to get some more screenshots.

3. Bailesaur

This seems to be exactly what is happening. This may tie into how I also can't play the game on my regular resolution, that causes the glitch in the thread you linked.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Sounds like your graphics drivers are doing something... unfortunate with the gl context when you swap windows. Is this fullscreen or windowed? I'd assume the former (as it seems to be the source of lots of bugs like this). A workaround might be playing in a suitably large window, or matching the resolution of fullscreen to your desktop res.

@makmoud98 plays fullscreen iirc and might have some tips.

5. Potatobird

I think I figured it out, for me it had to do with Windows trying to scale kag along with other programs (check your Display settings). I'm on windows 10, here's what I did:

Right click on KAG.exe in the game folder, click Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and check the box "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Now I can run kag in my actual resolution if I want to.

I'm not sure if it prevents the issue with alt tabbing, because it didn't bug out 100% of the time for me, and I could never reproduce the bug when I wanted to. Hopefully this helps you out.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 1, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 30, 2015 ---
    ...Okay that solution doesn't fix the alt tab thing. It might work for your native resolution, but... idk.
    [​IMG]

makmoud98 likes this.
  6. Bailesaur

Thank you for the info. Edit: THIS FIXED MY ALT TAB THING WOOOOO!

7. Potatobird

Didn't fix mine but you're welcome I guess :P:P:P

8. Bailesaur

I just checked the Disable display scaling on high dpi and I put the game in my proper resolution, now I can alt tab and tab back in perfectly.

makmoud98 likes this.
  9. Potatobird

Yeah, but I don't like to use my actual resolution because the chat is really really tiny and I can't read it at all. And the actual game visuals are pretty much the same regardless of resolution as far as I can tell

10. Bailesaur

I think it is the resolution problem that causes the alt tab problem though. After some testing using my resolution works fine, not using it makes alt tab not work.

11. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

His issue was fixed, locking thread.
    EDIT: By request of @Potatobird I'm going to unlock the thread.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  12. Potatobird

Thanks, my game still breaks sometimes. I'm curious if it happens to you again Bailesaur, it might be because I'm intentionally using a different resolution, in which case that would be an avoidable problem but I feel like it would be nice to be able to run whatever resolution I want

13. Bailesaur

After changing my compatibility settings to be able to use my resolution and using the proper one, I have not had any problems since. So I do believe if it still happens to you it is because you aren't using the right resolution. Also yeah that would be pretty nice.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey