1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Some Constructive Criticism [Forum]

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by Wired, May 5, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

"When you receive a warning you will automatically receive a system-generated PM about it, from the moderator that gave you the warning."

Is this a automatic message that tells you which moderator gave you the warning or is it a manual message sent from a user?

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Froghead48 likes this.
  3. Wired

Wired Liberated Signature Monkey Donator

I think both those addons will be a good addition to the site. Especially the agreeing to the rules one, it will help bring the rules to the attention to everyone from the start. Though I still don't agree with the placement of the rules and/or how easy it is to get to them, that definitely a step in the right direction.

Well please refer to this post for some stuff I would like adding/changing. Then more things that come to mind is to make the warning system more fine tuned and public. When I say fine tuned I mean more warning set up to cover more situations with a scaling amount of points and expirations etc, but that will take a lot of time and a lot of tweaking before you and the other staff can fine tune it.
    Off Topic: I'd just like to say congatulawelldone on the promotion. I'm sure you will do a good job. ;) :thumbs_up:

Also I wouldn't mind seeing one of the warning PMs in action if I'm aloud :P

4. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Congratulations.

Suggestion: Remove 'No multipost' , this is solved via plugin.

should be clarified that this should not be done for annoyance, it however should be done for layout if you are making a nice guide or some such, as doing so is quite beneficial to the readability, uppercase should probably still be used sparingly, certain colors should be mentioned as examples to not use like bright as fuck yellow or not quite invisible magenta.

5. Wired

Maybe change this to, send them a private message out side of the forums. Or just full on change it to no flaming. I don't think incouriging flaming as long as it's not in plane sight is a good approach.

Also, I just got my automated message.
    And just some things that could be made more clear.
    Maybe change it to be more clear, something along the lines of:
    Then change the expiration and amount of warning points for each type of warning. I assume you have diff rent automated PMs for each type of warning,

6. BlueLuigi

It's actually a great approach for idorts. People are going to get into conflict, attempting to outright ban any conflict is stupid. Putting some limits on where it can be done however and giving a place that it can be done is different.

Notice it says 'flame war', this is different than 'flaming'.

Speaking of which the insulting clause is a bit silly, 'flaming' makes much more sense. Leave in insulting any 'group' however, that is aproblem, as that is group bias such as homo bashing, misogyny, racism, etc.

Obviously however, I have a little bias here as I keep getting little warnings for insulting idorts.

Rayne and Cheesemaster66 like this.
  7. Wired

I don't want to ban any conflict, I just want to ban all unwarranted personal attacks that may derail the thread or make the forum any less enjoyable. This may seem impossible but would at least fight it instead of pushing it under the rug. As for "flaming" and "flame wars" there definitions are debatable but they can be considered roughly the same thing.
    Like a said there are many definitions of flaming in peoples minds and using such a lose term can cause some confusion.
    I have to agree that the wording here could be revised though, since any social group could mean a lot of things it's a tad vague.

8. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Mini update: I added the link to the rules under the help drop down, where it was meant to be.
    However, the other items in help are kinda useless so considering replacing 'Help' with a direct link to Rules.

Wired and BlueLuigi like this.
  9. BlueLuigi

Flaming is one way, flame wars are two way.

Flaming over time is borderline harassment, flame wars over time are just flame wars.

Well generally the problem is this, if someone suggests something stupid and I call him retarded, I get warned. Could you write posts that are constructive as to why someone's idea is bad? Yes. Could he just not write stupid things? Yes.
    Insulting people is going to happen, some people are insult worthy (I surely am :) ), but there is a difference between insults (a one time thing) and flaming (continual harassment over multiple posts or going over the top in a nice wall of text about why something is wrong or negative, etc).

Again, I still have some bias here, but proposed idea is this:
    Person1:Allow builders to 1hko knights, this is true balance
    Person2:You're stupid
    Justifiable, obviously it's not 'without reason' (thus not flaming), and fine.
    Person1:"I like ponies"
    Person2:I hope donkeys defecate on your chest while you watch your newborn baby cry in your wife's arms as she is being decapitated by the president and you are forced to eat her body for sustenance for a week.
    Warning - Clear flaming, over the top, etc. While there is usually satire in this sort of thing unless what person1 said is ridiculously stupid, it is without reason and simply flaming.
    Person1:Hi
    Person2: I hate you, you're retarded

2 days later

Person1: So there I was right, talking about something and yeah, cool stuff guys.
    Person2: Holy shit I hate this prick who the fuck do you think you are to tell us stories, you're retarded.
    Warning - Flaming, harassment over time
    Person1: I'm homosexual
    Person2:I hate homosexuals, all homosexuals are bad.
    Warning - Bigotry

In other words given these examples, my suggestion is this:
    Insult - Okay
    Unprovoked insults - Not okay [Attention to Sarcasm]
    Over the top or ridiculously long insults - Not okay [Sarcasm should be taken into account!]
    Bigotry - Not okay (Insults due to being part of a group) [Please keep in mind again sarcasm!]
    Harassment [Repeated insults over time, person asks you to stop] - Not okay [, much like rape, No plays a key role.]

Another thing I have to ask is how again the 'who has authority' for warning go? I've been warned and have seen warnings people give outside of their 'sections' that were clearly overlooked by guards who posted in there and also have had power in that section.

And then once again the question also comes into play of showing warning points at least in the conversation you get if possible, something like "You got 5/10 warning points, 5 more and you'll be banned" "The warning points will wear off in X days", or in other words some sort of summary, as the current system leaves people with not knowing at all what a 'warning' could mean in terms of points, and having them look it up doesn't really work, it's a right bitch to do so.

Lastly, but certainly not least, stupid posts, I mean seriously stupid posts should not be allowed in threads where people discuss balance.

By that I mean posts with stuff like
    "Well combat sucks and archers are OP, so let archer shoot 5x as fast xD"
    Not to say that a warning should be issued, although perhaps that should be a thing, but such posts, something should be done about them outside of the designated stupid boxes (such as 'New classes' thread)

10. Wired

I agree on most of the things said there. Accept, should we really tolerate responses simple as "Your stupid" because it doesn't really contribute to the discussion or state a reason. If anything (Even if it is warranted) it is still off topic/useless post unless accompanied with a reason for why you consider that person stupid and a reason for why there idea is bad. But even then it's probably just better to leave the "Your stupid" bit out and just have the reason why there idea is bad etc. I've got mixed feelings on that. Also, maybe use a alternate word to flaming.
    TLDR: Not sure if should allow or if shouldn't...

As for in the PM you get showing how many you points and expiration, I don't think that's possible (Unless some clever addon has a way to do it) but an easy alternate to this would be to allow users to see there own warning tab (If they can't already) then they can keep track of there warning easily.
    For anyone not aware what the warning tab it:
    warningtab.JPG in the tab.JPG
    When you click view.
    view.JPG
    This is from a moderator's perspective. But for a member just pretend the delete option isn't there.

11. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Issue with that is that if you enable them to see their warning tab, they'll be able to see everyone else's warnings. Currently there is no option to just have a person view their own warnings.

If you are allowed to see warnings, this new tab comes up on profile pages:
    Warnings.png

and the problem with this is that you'll see everyone else's if you go their profile. Now, it would be nice if you could enable it so that you can see it on your page only, but it's currently not possible.

12. Wired

That's annoying, but I guess we can't help it. I still don't really see the problem with having warning public but I guess that's just preference. Well if there was a PM being sent out for every warning with a detailed account of how many points the warning is worth and when it expires it would just be up to the person who receives the warning(s) to keep track of them. So is there any chance of changing the PMs to be more specific?

13. BlueLuigi

You're not allowed to see your own warnings.

Basically there were two options before the XenForo update: See no one's (standard, only admins/mods can), or see everyone's (addon).

Now after the update there is only one option, only admins/mods can.

Without a work around to this, it could cause some problems ^^;

If the addon has been updated and it is opensource, it would not be hard to add this functionality I'd imagine, I'd be willing to do it personally.

E: Was there really a problem with them being public? I personally don't see one, but I can understand how some people might see it as an issue.

14. Kouji

As far as I know, it's possible to change that, although I don't have access to that part of the administration.

Well actually it's still there, in fact, I could enable it myself so that you can see warnings like you could before, the issue is that you can see everyone's.

It's up to Shad really though, so I guess you could try making a compelling argument as to why the benefits of knowing what your warnings are outweighs the possible problems of knowing what someone else has been warned for.

15. Wired

I would like to know the disadvantages of other people seeing your warnings first really. Since I don't really see any.

16. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

I would just like to say, as this is a place for forum issues, so,

I am deffently well known, but now, it says I am an active member?

Also Wired, when I got one it just out lined the issue and where I had committed the horrible crime. (I will dig through my inbox and try and find it for you.)

So I found it, also it may have changed since I received it on January 15.
    GHOZT,

This is an automated message sent to you because you posted something in violation of the relevant forum's stickies (TKD (The Kings Defence)). This does not follow our rules, which can be found (here). Your message may have been removed or altered.

You have been issued a warning by the moderator you are receiving this message from. If you wish to dispute it you may do so here.

Multiple warnings will eventually lead to your account being temporarily suspended

17. Wired

Kouji has doubled the amount of points needed since the addition of new trophies that might have something to do
    with it.
    Kouji.JPG
    I think the PM has changed since them.

18. Kouji

Basically 2 things that I can think of right now

1.)
    So basically to prevent shame and it can potentially cause conflict between members (in particularly the younger ones)

2.) If someone says a warning is unfair, it can basically cause a "gang-fight" because some people just like to join in and it basically becomes a fight between people saying the warning was unfair and the mods saying the warning was unfair. More pointless conflict and can cause tension between the mods and the community (and it has happened before), hence the reason PM's are given as the place to dispute a warning.

All moderators have authority to give warning in any section. The only thing they can't do is delete offending posts outside their section (unless they are a global moderator). If another moderator thinks that there was no reason for that warning, they can delete it, although it's rarely if ever done.

BlueLuigi and Ghozt like this.
  19. Wired

1. I don't really see how it could cause conflict but I guess I don't really think that way.
    2. I can see this happening. Well in fact I have seen it happen quite a few times across a few forums. But usually the mods defend there stand point that the reason was given fairly and if there warning was given fairly and for the right reason the "gang" will clear off after being given good justification for why it was given. Or if the warning was given out for the wrong reasons then the warning is revised and if in the rare case that it was wrong then the warning is taken away. In the end there is a chance it betters the forum or the people opposing it learn a lesson.
    I'll try right up the reasons for knowing your own warnings soon I guess.
    Sorry if I'm not particularly making sense it's pretty late here and I'm sough-ta rambling.

20. BlueLuigi

Systems that aren't transparent both in real life and on forums usually lend to easier abuse as they cannot be checked by the community thus they are usually unaware of anything wrong actually happening in this sort of instance.

Someone getting a warning also doesn't shame them, and if they are actually feeling shameful, that isn't a bad thing, if they are legitimately shameful of what they did it will make them think twice, instead of helping them hide their shame, they need to simply face it.

However since the community will I assume embrace children, I can understand why some of them may not be able to do this.

Guess we'll have to wait for something better. Descriptive PMs if possible would indeed be a nice alternative.

Wired likes this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97