1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Starbound Beta

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Klokinator, Dec 4, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

My Laptop Specs:
    Windows 8 (64 bit)
    CPU: Intel Pentium B960 @ 2.20 GHz (dual core)
    Disk Drive: 256 GB HDD
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics Card
    1664 MB Available Graphics Memory (32 MB Dedicated)
    DirectX 10.1
    Native Resolution: 1366x768​

I was running the game in 1366x768 Full Screen with x3 zoom and had a Frame Rate around 24 FPS ~ 30 FPS. If I went to x2 zoom, FPS did drop to around 22~24 and stayed around there. It's playable, but you will notice the FPS drop. It's basically what I get when I play Skyrim, if you wanted another game to compare it to.

Bernhardt likes this.
  2. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

It will run, but it *really* likes to lag on any machine, so it will lag, but it will run.

Bernhardt likes this.
  3. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

Bought it and tested it. It runs okay.

Thanks for the help, guys!

4. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Jesus, those specs are so bad I'm wondering why you have Win8 installed??

5. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Because windows 8 is awful too

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

My computer is like 7-9 years old and I run it just fun, even run the server as well.
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz 2.6GHz
    HDD: 2x 1TB @7200 RPM
    RAM: 4.00GB
    Graphics: Radeon HD4850
    Native Resolution: 1920x108

SP = No lag, MP = If I'm hosting lag every now and then, can get unbearable.

7. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Because I would've installed Windows 7 if it was compatible with my NIC, but my NIC is too new so I'm stuck with Windows 8. Yes I know my specs are bad, but my laptop was only 369 bucks anyways so I can't complain at that price. In fact, I doubt you could get a better laptop than that for that price even now with a good enough fan that is both silent and is good enough to keep it cool (it barely gets warm when CPU is running at 100% which still happens rarely).

Either way, it plays Starbound just fine for now (and I rarely get any other issues on other games either). Since they are still doing optimization for the game, I'll probably have it running at 30 FPS more consistently later on.

BlueLuigi and Klokinator like this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G50VT-...99209168?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2ecc7c88d0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBoo...60798665?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item565efc93c9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Gaming...09935558?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1c38acd6c6

Do I win a cookie?

edit from Kouji: No, because the fans on those are terrible and the graphics cards on those will overheat in literally under an hour of even passive use. I would know, I've actually used them before. Also >using Ebay, try a real retailer that will unlikely to get you scammed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  9. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

My internet cut out and the game instantly crash-quit, and didn't save. Always online confirmed, uninstalled and tore down my gabe shrine.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 9, 2013, Original Post Date: Dec 9, 2013 ---
    also, is it just me or is the bow and arrow way OP? I'm one-shotting everything with my iron bow when all my other tier-1 stuff is doing terrible damage in comparison. It feels wrong.

By the way, can someone explain to me what the whole swap L/R thing is? I can't get it to work, z does nothing.

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Everything is unfinished you know. I'm not even playing it again until another 2 months have passed, because by then it should be balanced way better. They just made a huge balance change by going from 1-10 levels of world difficulty instead of 1-100. Shit like that will be worked on over time and eventually the game will be miles better than terraria, professionally speaking.

Still, I find starbound's music boring and not as lively as terraria. I miss that quizzical overworld tune and the scary boss scream when the boss awoke, that kinda stuff was awesome to me.

11. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

iron bow is basically level 5 right now. It'll get balanced out and will hopefully be less confusing after the update they promised to launch tonight.

12. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

The music in starbound is professional but out of place. Especially the epic boss theme that plays when you so much as whack a sheep.

13. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

wait until you get the steel bow. Also I'm keep getting 20 dp weapons that are basicly ohking anything under level 15

14. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

so I put down the distress beacon and it instantly poofs into smoke and hurts me. Then two penguins beam down and I kill them. Do I win Starbound?

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Not promised tonight, they THINK it might happen tonight, but it will be at least by the 11th.

AP is op, will be patched to fix that sometime between now and friday night. I'm sure you will still find airships to be OP, but hopefully scaling won't be so retarded strong.

16. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

[​IMG]

Be jealous of my amazing ship and Metroid Ball Tech. I also have a gravity ball that allows me to fly into outer space.

17. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

What is the distress beacon supposed to do for me? Nothing's happened for a while now, and I think I'm as high gear as I can be without some insane shit happening. Also, what is the point of fueling up my ship when I can fly wherever on 0 fuel?

EDIT: Wait, I can press the big "GO" button on zero fuel and it will play the dramatic FTL travel sequence, but then I'm right where I started.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  18. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

You have to press E on the distress beacon.

19. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Sha Zam!!! ::):::):
    [​IMG]

BlueLuigi likes this.
  20. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Last time I did that it just vanished and hurt me, spawned two penguins and that's it. So that's supposed to happen? I have to build a new one every time?

Mods: BlueLuigi