1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Started reading Lord of the Rings.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lieber, Jan 9, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

It starts to pick up after they leave The Shire and the rest of hobbit land, and enter the forrest.

2. Has anyone here read The Silmarillon? What about The Children Of Hurin? They're great Tolkein novels, just that they're not that popular. :oops:

3. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Ah, I've read about the Silmarillon, but never got my hands on it >_>

4. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

Same here. I've heard about it, but I haven't read it :u

5. I try to find the other Tolkein books but can't find them. Why do bookstores near my place only sell the LoTR Trilogy/The Hobbit? :oops:

6. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I have an old copy of the Silmarillion that I'm planning on reading in parallel with the Lord of the Rings, but I haven't found it yet. It's in the attic.

Now a lot of those books were published post-Tolkien, so you might have to search for Christopher Tolkien to find those books you're talking about (I think).

Children of Hurin was edited by Tolkien's son, and published. You can find it on Amazon.

Galabranth likes this.
  7. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

That's right, Chris Tolkien published all of J.R.R.'s Tolkien's 'projects' after he died.

8. Not only published but also refurbished and improved. Like the index of words in LoTR.
    Plus, I can't purchase from Amazon, since it would be a hassle during shipping. :)

P.S. @Leiber:
    Morgoth is in your attic. Make sure you put music of the Ainur in your Ipod to guide you. Cause you know... might get bored. :smug:

Canadian98 likes this.
  9. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

How far are you in now? I've only just properly noticed this thread. :P

10. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin left Tom Bombadill and have reached the gate to Bree.

To be honest, I think they could even have done three movies for only Fellowship of the Ring O_o
    But yeah, after a long break from the book I started it again last night and I'm hooked again.

11. No way! I started reading again too. I'm at the start of Bilbo's birthday party. Now I can't stop. Reading 'till unholy hours. I want to reread The Hobbit though, but its pricey because of all the hype. :oops:

12. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

The most recent time I've read them was this summer. It took me about 4 weeks on-off, followed by the Hobbit for good measure.

I haven't gotten my hands on the Silmarillion yet, mostly due to money, but also due to laziness. I've got a whole stock of well-read fantasy books just lying around my room.

13. dangertank44

dangertank44 Shark Slayer

Wonderful series. It is the ultimate battle between good and evil. The ring represents Man's desire for earthly things. I wish you good luck ;) .

Canadian98 likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi