1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

State of the beta

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, Mar 20, 2013.

1. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

Doesn't matter, had se...
    I mean, nevermind, they'll get whole new playerbase from Steam + showing the world that this game is Chivalry in 2D :)

2. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Really sorry to drag this up but I can't help but reply since it seems to be in one way or the other the view of a few people here.

Have you played on a server with more then 10 players on before? Have you never encountered a dumb fuck block of stone that can't be assaulted due to it's sheer mass with 2 or 3 archers peppering the poor fuckers having a go anyway with arrows? Attack is clearly in need of some new ideas, and with a lack of team only climbing (I assume that's still the case anyway, seemed to be something the devs were pretty set on before anyway) that'll help, but there's still plenty of ways that you could still be a dull stalemating motherfucker I bet if there wasn't new siege shit. Thing is there's probably a shit ton of new defense stuff too, we just don't know what it is yet because quite wisely the devs haven't let us in on what the building mechanics are gonna be like, as I imagine those are what have been fucked about with the most of anything. Castle building like it is now is pretty fucking unrefined and boring to be honest, all the smart subtle traps mostly only work in smaller servers, and that's obviously assuming your not on a team of cretinous simpletons that let you build your blasphemous contraptions without turning them into a solid mound of rock with bridges on the side, and there's no teamwork in that. From what we've seen in screenshots and stuff there's been plenty of stuff that adds to the scope of what you can do with towers, so that's totally unfounded (to be fair though since when was KAG "about building castles" anyway, it's always been as much about smashing them to shit and killing each other in the process too).

What's even more unfounded is that the testers suck the dev's dick, infact it's completely laughable, some of the testers have been the ones that have been bruising the dev's balls every day over all manner of shit, if they wanted an easy ride there's plenty of fanboys about that would have happily played the beta and not given any criticism whatsoever. The last god knows how many months now have been about focusing the game and ripping it to pieces as said in the announcement, hardly expanding scope.

You don't have to be on the forums 24/7, but that doesn't mean you should say whatever you think is wrong without actually knowing what your talking about, however having said that I bet these new dinosaurs are gonna be well OP, seriously how the fuck are we supposed to defend our castles against a brontosaurus with a cata on it's back?

NinjaCell, Anded, I3lue and 10 others like this.
  3. Zer0Striker

Zer0Striker Shipwright

This game will have a lot more content than chivalry in the beta update.

4. evene

evene Builder Stabber

Awesome article, thank you for sharing. Seeing MM itinerary is making me regret all my projects I didn't follow through when I had the time to work on them tho.

Bint likes this.
  5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Is it still possible for us to make custom workshops in the style shown below?

[​IMG]

6. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I have to say, from the moment I started playing the beta I loved it, in comparison to the classic kag it is far better. its smoother, runs better and the gameplay is more fast pasted. Obviously it is going to be differant from kag, and may stray from the original game play, but that is a good thing. In my opinion the classic kag is all sorts of shit, laggy and buggy gameplay, full of bugs and whatnot. When you guys do get your hands on the beta you will love it, its no where near perfect but it is so much better then the classic kag. The drill is fucking amazing by the way.

7. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

The short answer, Yes :)

8. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

*sigh*

That was the one big thing I was looking forward to with the new KAG. Hopefully it'll be reasonably easy mod it in.

Lately, I've been not into competetive pvp games due to their nature, since although winning is fun, competetive activities come at a price of stress, hostility and someone else always loosing, which isn't fun for them.

Cooperative games don't have these meta issues and are actually the opposite, since you're not pitting another human against each other just for the sake of a victory title. People are more likely to have better time since instead of trying to destroy each other, they help and actively support, making the game fun for everyone, despite whether they loose or win a match.

What are your thoughts on this?

9. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

What's the library gonna do??

10. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I disagree co-operative games can lead to even worse issues, since when someone puts alot of effort into a fortress, or what not. Then it gets overrun, he is most likely going to blame and rage at the nearest person, least what i have experienced with co-op games. Clan matches used to be fun when kags combat was good, and all the matches that I participated in were fun, and no one shouted out how they were better then the other, or called out bullshit. I have had far better experiences with Pvp then PvE/PvAi

11. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Co-op experiences CAN be memorable, in both good ways and bad. Mostly good though. :) I love matches where everyone on the team discusses and agrees on strategy and play according to that strategy. It can be a lot of fun. On the other hand, some people just rage, making the game UN-fun. (OK, OK, so I do rage often, but not at other people :D)

12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

That's why I can't wait for steam to be incorporated into the game. It will become a breeze to voice chat with someone. Teamwork will be at it's best. It's just going to be great.

An extract from a private convo I wrote:
    But I've had a few testers tell me it's really great fun, so I'm pumped for the release especially on Steam, as I spend lot's of time on steam. Also if it goes on steam with all the features then we can all easily voice chat, and there will be achievement, oh the many possibilities. I can't wait this is just going to be so great. Most of us have been waiting so long!

Also just adding on that. I have been talking to a few testers, and none of them have been like:

"This is shit I want the old KAG back"

It's been:

"I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO BE RELEASED IT'S SO GREAT!!!"
    Fenriswolf22: "It's everything I ever wanted KAG to be."

13. VanHuek

VanHuek KAG Guard Tester

I am planning a very large Co-Op mode, linked in with my MP server and also a SP but more details in the coming months.

PinXviiN, hans_02 and Ghozt like this.
  14. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

so basically in this thread we see demands for:
    • keep it same as classic
    • don't focus so much on attack
    • take out the new seige weapons
    • put in all the "promised" seige weapons
    • make more classes
    • don't want modders
    not only are these demands contradictory, but most of them require intense amounts of dev time. this thread is a prime example of why the test build is closed. lots of really angry, perpendicular demands, all without even seeing the game. i also want to reiterate that the testers are not on the dev's jocks. a lot of the testers have nothing nice to say. a lot of them argue about it to the bone.

modding is the solution to turning a 2-man game into what you're all asking for. like it or not, you're probably playing on "modded" servers right now. most of the biggest servers in classic kag are modded. even if only a little bit, whether it is as small as what shops are available, or whether or not you can build an outpost; these are mods from the vanilla or "default" settings. the modding community, for the most part, is not going to shovel in a bunch of crap and force you to learn it. the bigger servers will either stick to near vanilla, or only use intuitive, helpful additions. sure there will be some servers with infinite bombs and six different light-speed flying machines and probably lasers. but they'll also probably be easy to spot.

i went through a similar phase. i've never been a fan of the zombie's mode, but i did get to a point where i almost never played because pvp became so frustrating. eventually i stopped playing builder for a while and i got a lot better at the game, but more importantly, i was much less frustrated with other players. also i found a server that i liked and stuck to it, eventually making friends with the other regulars - which makes losing a lot more fun.

illu, Hella, Beef and 8 others like this.
  15. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

On the modding front, are we gonna have any access to classic sprites/stuff that was at certain points gonna be in full KAG? I'm sure it'd chill people that are raging about not having new classes/workshops/siege stuff and shit like that quite alot.

16. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Well couldn't we just grab them out of old builds?

vampo likes this.
  17. vampo

that's what i was thinking. as long as credit's given where credit's due, i don't think it'd be a problem. (still a good idea to ask, though)

delankski and Ghozt like this.
  18. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

As long as the list of all the builds is still being kept up to date. I remember that was somewhere.

19. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

The same what you said can be applied backwards too and its more about the behaviour of people and not the inherent nature of a cooperative game that makes it happen.

The more serious a competetive game becomes, the less people care about the fun the opposing team is having, doing whatever they can to win. This breeds hostility and divides the players by the very nature of the system, leading to the regular bad sides you're used to seeing an online game, such as trashtalk, demoralization, showing superiority over others and other similar traits that corrupt the community.

In less serious competetive games you may have things like sportsmanship and friendly rivalry, but that easily collapses the more you play, since the those things are artificial requirments you put on yourself, not what are part of the game's design.

20. vampo

any competitive game is considering the fun involved in competition in their inherent design. some people enjoy the competition. it may not be for everyone, but for some the heightened emotional response that drives competitive gameplay is exactly what makes the game fun. and you don't have to be less serious in order to have things like sportsmanship and friendly rivalry. most of the top tier players in this particular game are very competitive and have a lot of friendly rivalry and sportsmanship. they love to play against each other as much as with.

also personally, i love trash-talk. i incorporate it into almost every round i play. if you're on my team or on teamspeak you see or hear me giggling hysterically about all the terrible things i'll say about what berries the enemy's fathers smell like. and if not, if you wait until the end of the game, you're likely to see me congratulating the other team, win or lose and explaining my trash talk as amicable strategy.

delankski likes this.