1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Stop already with calling the Scripting Build "KAG 1.0"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueLuigi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Clever, but for marketing purposes not gonna happen, KAG-War would be a simple solution, but again, not that catchy and doesn't draw enough distinction from classic.

P.S. Can we stop it with "devz calld it 1.0 so u stoopid" by the way, we're all fully aware of what it's been labeled as on the promo videos, that doesn't stop someone from having a disagreement about it. Honestly as much as the devs put in ridiculous amounts of hard work and deserve respect, the way the general forum goer fluctuates from "game not come and when does will shit :>:(: ", to ":heart: devs awsum, haz seen new cata and shops and teh saw for thorw enemy nights in?! :r_flex::D:flex:" is fucking mental. There's nothing constructive about repeating what the devs are doing in a proper debate because we're all know already. Stop going after BL just because the forum is in dev bumming mode, as opposed to dev lynching mode cos it's just inducing more pointless arguing. This is a perfectly warranted discussion, as the future success of KAG will be influenced by it, with so many games out there unless you have alot of word of mouth promotion, or are some fucking cunt like EA with a ton of money to throw at your half developed games, then you won't be noticed, and stuff like a decent name that represents the game well WILL make a noticeable difference.

2. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

hey thats a good one! :)

3. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

But in terms of newcomers, I think they would be more attracted by a game called KAG 1.0 rather than KAG Scripting. BlueLuigi has some points (about the things that make it not worthy of being called 1.0, although I haven't played the test build myself).

4. Bint

Bint Haxor

I'm sure when the game is released it's not going to be called "KAG 1.0" surely it's just going to be called King Arthur's Gold.

5. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Well yeah, if there's not a new name I'd personally prefer it to be called KAG and just have classic referred to as classic instead of scripting or 1.0 or whatever, although as has been pointed out it's gonna be considerably different to what has been known as KAG it's a little bit of a faux pas to the vets. The problem with any sort of name that deviates from calling it KAG too much might make it sound like some shitty expansion pack or something. I'm sure the devs probably have some ideas on how to make it sound appealing though.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Super King Arthur's Gold HD Arcade Edition Remix IV?

7. Bint

Bint Haxor

...Deluxe

Viken likes this.
  8. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

If it's "KAG 1.0", shouldn't we have it NOW? :L

9. As much as I love making fun of Capcom's publishing policy, Super King Arthur's Gold actually sounds good and is a nice reference to NES/SNES.

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You might initially get some, but you'll lose quite a few when they realize it's not a complete game, why go through the up for the down when a better name can just keep them without the implications or at the very least not give them that negative experience, it's a niche game anyway, it's not like you're going to attract people more than usual unless you go ahead and get some of the minecraft crowd which they are already getting ANYWAY

(not that those have EVER been good for the KAG community, but given the focus on making them at least useful in scripting, maybe they'll stick around and be useful)

11. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

KING ARTHUR'S GOLD THE MOVIE DIRECTORS CUT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

12. Bint

Bint Haxor

No game is completely bug free, I imagine KAG becoming a game that is regularly updated like it is now so i'm sure that won't be much of a problem, if someone want's a perfectly polished game they'll buy a AAA game that's 5 times the price and has no replayability, how many devs are working on KAG? 5 at most?

13. BlueLuigi

Usually 2 at most I believe 4.
    Might want to actually read as I explained 'bug free', not many games also claim to be v1.0 with huge bugs. As an example it took MapleStory almost 4 years to reach v1.0.0, it was stuck on v0.9xxx for almost a year of updates clearing up and finding bugs, was it bug free at that point? NO, not 100%, were any noticeable bugs cleaned up? Yes.

14. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'm actually wondering... Since KAG already looks like a SNES game... Maybe we should make a King Arthur's Gold ZERO. With 8 bit graphics, sound, style, feels... Man, it would be so good.

LucasTT likes this.
  15. BlueLuigi

Super King Arthur's Gold wouldn't be a bad name at all, but would be up to the devs, it would definitely lend itself to a very easy semi-comical marketing strategy when it comes to a trailer and showing classes/etc. I mean that kind of thing basically writes itself.

16. Bint

Bint Haxor

But it hasn't been released yet, surely "KAG 1.0" wouldn't be released until the major bugs have been sorted out.

17. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

How long do you think it will take them to sort out the major bugs/new features?

18. BlueLuigi

No, it will still have bugs, look how long KAG has been out, they need to release it sooner rather than later incase steam or paradox (at this point it seems steam), that was the entire point of rushing everything.

Even then you would refer to the BUILD of release there as KAGv1.0, not this new KAG on this new ENGINE as KAGv1.0 by that logic, don't you agree?

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw on the naming front, it'll just be King Arthur's Gold when released at large (the old KAG will be KAG Classic), and it will be under the banner of "public beta" until the major scalability issues and missing features are sorted out.

The 1.0 thing will come into play once it's in a "done" state where we'll just be ironing bugs and making other games.

Note that the differences between a game like maplestory and a game like KAG is that maplestory has a shitload of money behind it, is 100% closed source, and any changes have to be applied to all parts of the game at the same time. KAG is going to have all of the game object and game rule logic exposed to players; it will be possible for the community to address bugs when we're stretched thin, and for us to pull their changes into vanilla.

At the moment there are only 2 developers working on the game, Michal and I, Ryan (FLAB) has been unable to do much beyond API maintenance and server resets when needed, and Tom (Shad) has been 99% afk for several months. There are some other guys working on non-game things who're around at the moment, but getting non-game things done usually doesn't help the release progress.

20. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

• Flaming
    :huh?: This thread is shit and OP is a faggot.