1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[SUGGESTIONS] LOS - Line of sight/Lighting/DayNight cycle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aqua, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Aqua

Aqua Guest

Hey there,

1) Another thing missing in this game (imo) and that would allow new strategies: line of sight.
    Line of sight is actually what characters see, their field of vision.
    You'd share the LOS of your team, but you wouldn't be able what the enemies see.

What would that allow?:
    - no possibility to anticipate the actions of your enemy unless you see them (building outposts, digging underground tunnels, building towers for archer/catapults).
    - more interesting combat phases, allows sneak attacks
    - forces to explore the map and prevent sneak attacks

2) Something borrowed from your older brothers Minecraft/terraria: daylight/artificial lights.
    Same as above, everything is not lighted, darker areas, etc.
    Crafting torches and placing them around.

3) Once again, this allows sneaking at night (and this contributes to immersion). (time passing by during long and epic battles).
    Let's say a group of soldiers are sneaking at night time without torches, they see a nearby enemy tower lighted with torches, they can get closer and put bombs/sabotage the tower.
    They won't see enemy spikes (unless they hold torches).
    Etc.

What do you think?

jeffeypop and Retsch like this.
  2. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

I like the day and night cycle. I approve of this message.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We've already got day/night cycle code :)

Me and Michal have been tossing the idea of a line of sight system around - we're thinking it might be more suited to the expanded "RTS-ish" potentially paid version of the game, even with a fog of war system, however we keep coming around to it not being important enough to warrant the coding time, not to mention finding a way to make it not look ugly as sin.

Darkness could be an interesting thing to have in-game, and would certainly make the day/night cycle more important. We'll have to think of a way to incorporate it at some point.

For the most part though, these seem auxiliary. They do add fun functionality and more interesting scenarios, but we're prioritising getting the "game" part of the game done first at the moment :)

jeffeypop likes this.
  4. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

I think the current fog hiding the terrain looks good enough, really.

5. Aqua

Aqua Guest

I'm totally aware about this.
    What's really crucial, except bug fixing? You could release your game in its current state and sell it without any problem.

Here, I'm just talking about things I consider as ways to improve your great game and make the experience even more enjoyable, plus giving more personality and a particular atmosphere.

I don't think that these suggestions are subsidiary because they are impacting the gameplay in a global manner. It can be a very important feature, allowing new ways to play this game.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Indeed, or removing current ways of playing it. Line of Sight would increase the need for team players, which is great, but something we're cautious of emphasising too much simply because in a public game you're likely to be playing in a team that's ~50% useless. I'm all for it - just not yet :)

Thing is, we're nowhere near where we'd like to be with content - we're aiming for a plethora of constructable things for out in the field and a variety of rooms inside the castle. We want to enable the construction of a bustling fortress (as in DF) in a collaborative and competitive setting. At the moment, getting the game to that stage where there's more stuff to do -> more ways to play the game is more important (to us) than figuring out a line of sight mechanic. We're certainly planning on trying it out at some point though.

jeffeypop likes this.
  7. Aqua

Aqua Guest

You've just made my day. Those are tears of joy.

I didn't imply those suggestions (mwell, still pretty basic stuffs) are a priority, and the way you are describing your development plan is very reassuring about the future of this game.
    I'm definitely following you.

jeffeypop likes this.
  8. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Guest

I've always dreamed of being able to use sneak attacks as an archer. It would make them so much more useful!
    I hope that line of sight is implemented as soon as possible. I think it would add a lot to the game.