1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Target Priority

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpitfireXero, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

Scenario: You finally reach the front of the battle and there are three enemies in front of you- a Knight, an Archer, and a Builder. Which one out of the three takes priority in being killed first? The builder, who is muling resources back and forth between the frontlines and the base to either fortify one of the positions, or establish an Outpost? The Archer sniping your own builders, knights or archers, or the Knight that could either sabotage your defenses with a bomb or kill off your whole team in whirlwind of charged attacks?

The player can be either an Archer or a Knight, it doesn't really matter in this scenario. Discuss.

2. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

Depends on who you are. If I'm an archer, I'm going to shoot that other arhcer first. Take him out, then shoot the builder if he's in sight. If not, then it's getting off a good shot on that knight.

If I'm a knight, then the opposing knight is top priority. After him, the builder and then the archer. The archer poses little threat against my shield anyways.

3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Depends on the situation. A builder who is plonking ladders down I will often go for straight away, and try to kill him before any knights can hit me. If I have to engage with a knight, I will. Knights destroying buildings are a high priority, as are builders doing so. Archers only come first in the priority when destroying them allows me to actually hit all the knights. It's a rare scenario, but often just lobbing a bomb up to that tower deters them if not kills them, allowing me to safely engage the knights without becoming a pincussion.

I have to agree with dwatring as well. If i'm an archer, i'm going to target other archers first, as they are the ones who can hit me straight away. If I have to target a knight, because he is right next to me, I will. But this is a bad scenario to be in.

Not to mention, it doesn't matter WHAT the class is, if someone has the flag, I will go ONLY for them. This means I often jump over other knights in an attempt to get to the flag carrier (usually another knight). With varied success. But stopping for every knight on the way will lose you the chance to kill the flag carrier at all. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

4. SpitfireXero

There are so many different scenarios. When power is returned to my house (Hurricane Irene is buttfucking the northeast) I'll hop onto gTalk with YB but anyway let's discuss other scenarios here. Thread needs more attention. If we're assuming that we can survive in the time it takes to go in the order you chose, then I would agree with it. But as a limitation let's say you only have once choice before you die. In that situation, I feel as though Builders take immediate priority, before they start providing ladders for their Knights.

didn't see your post before Neat, sorry

5. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well, in a real situation, it'd depend greatly on context! But I suppose we are supposed to forgo such a thing in this scenario.

Seeing as I most often play archer, the opposing archer poses the greatest threat- once he's dead, I can halt the knight's harassment long enough for reinforcements to arrive. With a coordinated team effort, an enemy wall that's one block thicker-or an outpost closer-- than before won't be nearly as devastating as potentially losing a lot of ground. The thing about being one cog in the machine, though, is that you have to hope all the other cogs and wheels are working just as well, or nothing will get done at all!

6. t0rchic

t0rchic Drill Rusher

Yep, and when I'm the opposing archer you die.

Anyways, as archer I just halt the entire flow of enemies half the time. I TRY to aim for builders (and most of the time snipe them out of groups) because I can just dodge stupid archers who think they can get me. Then I hang on to the edge of a wall or whatever and take down knights trying to demolish things. When knights rush at me I jump backwards and charge arrows at them. They can't shield and attack at the same time, and archers move at normal speed while charging if they jump.

7. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Anyone aiming to kill me, Archer, Builder, Knight.

8. SpitfireXero

If anyone would like to propose another scenario, feel free to do so at any point. Just try to do one at a time, and if new people to the thread want to address previous scenarios just quote them so we don't get confused.

9. Neat

What about scenarios where there are more than one of the same class? Like, in a group of knights in different areas, which would you target? Lets say one has ran past you, but you know people are coming from your base and might kill him. There's one in front of you, and lets say there's another tunneling to get your builder underneath you and he's pretty close. Also, you could be in the middle of a mountain and another knight might be trying to climb it. Maybe it's best to prioritise the top of the mountain, as high ground is extremely important in the game. However, this means risking dying from the knight coming straight at you. Maybe there is an outpost below you and you dont want the knight risking getting that outpost where the builder is. Or, the knight who is just past you is probably going to do a lot of damage, because you know your team is lacking in the offensive department. It really all depends.

10. SpitfireXero

If the Outpost is underground, personally I don't think it's a suitable position and doesn't have the advantage of being above ground, because as you said high ground is absolutely important. There are just so many things going on in that scenario, I think it would be best to just move forward and kill the knight in front of you so you can secure the area ahead for your team. This is assuming that they will kill the Knight that we allowed to pass.

11. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

Builder is usually top priority as the terrain changing class, but if the archer isn't taken care of first it's pretty hard to get a good shot/stab at the builder. Knights usually just run past people straight to the defenses but if not he is last target.

12. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Arching: Take out the builder. Archer comes next. Get my teammates to incapacitate the knight.
    Building: Build a small base. Advance and build small structures to slow down the enemy. Kill if I get the chance.
    Knight: I don't play bad classes.

13. Neat

Harsh. I have plenty of fun with knight..

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

There's no precise order, it's very much a sort of reverse triage. But there are a number of factors you have to consider:

Threat to you: How close is the knight to you, is the archer aiming at you, how far along has the archer been charged, how much cover do you have, how good is the archer (based on score, your previous experiences), what's the archer's ping relative to yours, etc.
    Chance of success: X archer may be a big threat to you, but if he's entrenched it would be a waste to try to fire on him, instead fire on the closer knight who you will hit for sure
    Harm to team: Generally workers hurt your team the most if they live

There are other factors as well. Like if a worker is escaping and he has lots of resources, kill him even if there are other workers that are easier to hit. Fire on a good archer if you happen to catch him out in the open, even if there's a lesser archer in a worse position. Lots of things.

15. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There's another factor that I haven't noticed anyone mentioning - if you're low on health, picking off an easy target for their heart can be an easy way to stay in the game.

16. archont

archont Guest

Builder
    Archer
    Knight

- Builders and archers have less health (2 vs 3)

- Builders and archers can't block attacks and rely on knights shields to protect them. A knight can protect a builder/archer from another knight but not from an archer.

- Unlike knights the two classes have to gather resources before being of any use in the frontline. In addition to the spawn timer and walking distance the two classes also have to spend time harvesting resources before they're useful again.

- Priority is always given to protecting the friendly flag carrier and killing the enemy flag carrier regardless of anything else.

- French people have less priority than other nationalities as they have a habit of surrendering anyway

- For the time being builders are a priority as 90% of the people playing archers are effectively blind. This may change if people learn how to shoot

17. Neat

This is VERY important to prolonged survival. At health of 1 half of a heart, I go looking for nearby builders to slaughter. If not them, then sucky knights (archers you'll never get near enough to in the long run)

18. willy

willy Guest

A smart builder is your worst enemy, but also the weakest. Take him out first.

Then knight, then archer.

Of course, this all depends on a lot of different variables, most notably the lay of the land, but generally speaking, that's what I'd do.

19. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

I really want to do a series with this type of thing. It starts great discussion. Tomorrow I will provide a picture, and we can all discuss what the right decisions are. Sounds fun. Thoughts?

20. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

I'm game.