1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[TDM] Citadel

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Asterix, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

Finally got the map I made working for RDM... Citadel:

Citadel screen.png

The map itself is a bit bigger than the actual castle (its standing on a big patch of dirt that isn't accessible), but this is to give it a grander feel. I made it for the RDM server after I played it today and had a joy time - hopefully shad considers chucking this on! Because its essentially tunnel fighting, I tried to add as many flank routes and archer/bomb holes as possible to make it more chaotic and fun!

hope you enjoy, constructive criticism approved, and thanks to Wyeth (just realised it was Wonka who made the tutorial, but Wyeth still gets a thanks for his help in my map problem thread) for his map making tutorial!
    The map.png is also uploaded

Attached Files:

Contrary and Wyeth like this.
  2. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Today I played a couple games on this map. I think it is visually appealing but plays a little bland. That was probably just my personal experience though as the map seems to offer a lot of interesting elements and alternative routes that were sadly pretty much unused in the games I played.
    I am looking forward to playing on this map with interesting players that make the stay worthwhile, as I think it definately has potential to be very fun!

Asterix likes this.
  3. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

Currently being hosted on my Rapid TDM.

[​IMG]
    Map overall needs to be more open. It has a LOT of chokepoints or bottlenecks that could be easily remedied. Try and fix some of these, and it would play perfect.

4. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

Personally I prefer a lot of the choke points, i feel it imitates more of a castle fight! But ill make a v2 soon and change a few things, thanks dwatring. Thanks Wyeth, yeah I tried to add some strategy to it (i.e. flanking routes) etc, but havent seen them really get used yet!

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I played it a few times. Didn't really get a good run of it though as I tended to hang out on the roof but so far I like it quite a bit. Though I do agree with Dwat, it could be a little more open. Having chokes is good, in fact I wish some of Dwat's maps were less open, but I think you also need a balance of open high traffic areas as well.

The center is very roomy, and I suspect you added it with the assumption that people would be mostly fighting in there, as it's the shortest path to the enemy. I made the same assumption with my first map. They don't go there and they won't learn to. As a consequence your map is somewhat claustrophobic, though you do have the roof. I suggest maybe adding a couple bubbles of open fighting to liven it up. The area above and below the upper spike pit could by enlarged, I suspect that those will prove to be major points of engagement.

Asterix likes this.
  6. Asterix

Asterix Shopkeep Stealer

Thanks for the analysis! yeah i definitely assumed that people would be fighting more in that middle section - but as you say, it doesnt seem to happen... okay, ill open up a few of the fighting areas to create less choke. i created the roof thinking that its great for flanking - because you cant get up there straight away (unless you bomb jump ;)) I was hoping that a knight or two could rush to the top, climb down and flank. Yeah those areas above and below the upper spike pit seem to be main points of focus - maybe what I could do is open them up and connect them via a hole to that main area - it would essentially allow quick access to the different levels which could be cool if a specific level is outnumbered!

ill consider all of this and make a v2! thanks