1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Guards - A calm discussion about existing issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by potatomcwhiskey, Feb 21, 2012.

1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

After speaking to him it indeed sounds like an issue that will be discussed with Geti. To be clear, it only impacts players who are globally banned - which is not something the guards do without a lot of thought

2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Its not something that guards can do at all :p
    One of us admins has to do it... Thought generally it is after a guard has reported someone.

Anyway yes, there is some problem with the code that doesn't like global bans. We're looking into it :)

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Bumpdate to let everyone know that the ingame ban = forum ban bug is fixed - banned users should be able to login once more :D

4. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

Agreed, customer support does cost money. However there can always be a solution. I'm not asking for the developers to shell out their food money on a babysitter but a structured solution and methodologies need to be put in place. Judging by the response to this thread there is widespread agreement that the community would like some changes and refinements put in place to improve this for the better.

Thanks for being a reasonable person and being receptive to this thread.

If you need my help in any way do not hesitate to contact me. Many hands make light work and all that.

If there is anything I learned from developing, judging and playtesting flash games when I was younger its that when you are a game developer relying on the general public for feedback you have to filter through the vocal majority and find the nuggets of truth. I'm not saying the community should have a say in everything. But discounting their voice completely deprives a developer of an excellent resource for gaining useful feedback.

Edit: Shad you double posting whore! :)

Boxpipe, Havoc, BlueLuigi and 2 others like this.
  5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I had a lot to say but I think I'll pass on posting it honestly, a lot of it is probably already mentioned here (read most of the thread not all of it), but a lot has to change in general yes.

One thing that I did want to mention related to Potato's last post here is that it is indeed very impotant for at least one of the development team to stay in touch with the community, as much in touch with them as they possibly can. When they are doing some strong development cycles it is understandable that they would not be AS in touch, but those cycles shouldn't last months at a time so it's usually not a big deal if it's like a month or a few weeks that they are 'not really active' in the community. An easy way to filter through most of the stuff is to have a small group of people that know what it is important to filter, this is not the 'Guard' system that I am talking about here as enforcers are not the same as filterers at all while some probably have great overlap (not to single out anyone not listed but some that come to mind are trelawney, Neat, Contrary) that pay attention to the community and know what to filter in respective areas. When it comes to suggestions and ideas and when it comes to things coming up and thoughts on them, feedback, bugs, what's important what's not this can work much better than a bug tracker where it's easily passively ignored whereas if you are on IRC all the time in the background, check the forums or your email once a day (not to scan the whole thing that's too time consuming, but just your inbox), over chat clients, vent, whatever, if there are a few people who can basically filter out the crap and send you links/info on only the good stuff that really needs your attention you already are ahead of the game, you are assured that the developer is aware of what needs changing, the community's thoughts on it, the thoughts of the trusted 'filterers' on it, and can then see how big of a problem it might be even if it isn't on their radar. Awareness can be a huge problem and it is rare for developers to have time to sit there and get so good in their game as to be competitive, much less have time to test it competitively before releasing it.

Only other thing I thought I'd mention once more (I know I know it's coming to be more standard eventually) is the importance of testing things before it comes out, both private (for huge features like we know is happening for zombies) and public for the builds we've seen in the past like 228~270 and all of that where some radical changes that weren't new content had to be tested before release, the only thing there is to bring some more quality to it before release so that instead of worrying about getting it out fast it's worried that what is currently out is fairly polished, or at least playable for most aspects.

The one thing the community could definitely do to help with this is to start a repository (starting now, really wish we could have had much earlier) of every build for both server and client on all the different platforms, I believe this is fairly important in case we have builds further down the road that break things temporarily and the fix isn't exactly 'in sight' we can play older version and keep chugging. When we eventually have kag:// links I would hope that a versioning system is implemented with that where it checks your version so that older versions of servers could also be run, similar to Ace of Spades.

There's a lot that needs to be changed when it comes to protocol and procedure and from my PMs with Shad it seems that we will see it not being something that we are left out of as a community, so that we will be able to help shape this and that there won't wasted time on the part of the guards, or on the part of community members in general.

CoughDrop, Noburu, Rayne and 3 others like this.
  6. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

Developers are under no obligation to communicate at all with the fanatic base. If the so called fanatics are too upset at that, how much are they really fanatics of the developers? All of the begging for more info, more pics, more details reminds me exactly when my children were a little younger constantly asking me if 'we were there yet' while on vacation. All it did was annoy, and it served no purpose and nothing came out of it but annoyance. I knew the kids were eager to arrive in the Dells, but I could only drive so fast. The children who did not understand the skill of driving and the laws of the land and the physics behind the driving could not comprehend what I, the adult, was doing to actually get them to the damn waterpark so they can have fun.

Did a magic trick involving an entire disconnected paragraph.
    You made your point already -FinDude

7. BlueLuigi

A lack of obligation is not a good reason to do things, if we lived based on only our obligations we would still be in a political stone age.

8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Summation of a lot of the tl;dr comments: Talking to people is a good thing; especially if you want to sell them stuff.

Noburu and Shadlington like this.
  9. Vanguarde

Someone else should deal with the forum stuff and info release - NOT the people actually coding the game. Let them code the game, period. If they choose to interact with the fanatics of their game that is their choice. I am tired of people thinking they are 'owed' new info or screenshot or movies for a game they like. They are not.

Sure, it is nice to have but it is totally up to the developers discretion to do that if he/she wants. Begging for material from the developer is not a good idea if you want sanity.

AJ likes this.
  10. BlueLuigi

No one ever said it was an obligation, it is however the only way to actually get anything out of your community, if you do not communicate with the fanbase you end up making builds like 262.

11. Fellere825

Fun business fact: If you dont interact with your consumers on a regular basis your product will slowly deviate from the needs of the consumer. Once the consumer realizes that the product is a complete deviation from their needs, complaints begin to arise and customers begin to leave. Constant communication with your consumers is important in order to maintain the trust necessary for a business to succeed. If at any point in time a subpar product is release any future product will be put under scrutiny and consumers will be less willing to buy any future products. There is no obligation but if you want to run a good business it's best to talk to the people you are selling stuff to.

BoiiW, Neat, Noburu and 3 others like this.
  12. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Jeez they are selling this content to people of course they *need* to talk to their community otherwise no-one will bother to buy it. If it was like an A-list game or something there would be no need. But this is a game in development in alpha already being sold. Customers are essentially buying on a premise of future content. It's like if you pre-order a game and the game is delayed, the customer must be told what is going on otherwise it's bad business.

Don't get me wrong. The current craziness of people ignoring the devs words about "just wait god dammit we're working" and constantly being impatient and madly requesting screenshots info is just retarded and shouldn't be catered to but that doesn't mean go the other way and say absolutely nothing to your community.

BoiiW, Noburu, Rayne and 1 other person like this.
  13. knightl

knightl Base Burner

The way i see it theres a difference between not listening at all and not reading every single message

14. Vanguarde

The problem I see in communication between the devs and fans is this. When does it cease to be the devs game anymore? If the dev keeps adding things from the community, does the community then own part of the game itself? The line can get blurry. I can see how the devs want to please the community, but does that mean they did not have a vision for the game in their minds, and they need the community to give them idea? Who's game is it really then? Just something to ponder.

Also, some developers just make what they damn please and never listen to their fans. I could name 10 companies that do what they want, never listen to the fans - yet the fans keep coming back because the games are so damn good and they did not need ideas from the community. Blizzard is one of the companies that just does what it wants, and their games sell 5 million copies on day one.

Also, this is a rather new trend that is gaining traction, developers asking for money for alpha builds of games - sometimes pre-alpha! I don't think anyone knows the full ramifications of this yet.

15. Naime

Naime Drill Rusher

I have never understood the impatience and the nagging. Those must have really comfortable lifes if thats seriously a problem for them.

IMO the devs put some little bonus for compensation. Dunno, a hat-design competition and the winner gets his hat in game? Something little for the folks to calm down.

16. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Communication does not mean submitting to the community it can be just telling them what is going on and not giving a damn about their complaints.

Yes, because blizzard are in real trouble for money aren't they. Of course they don't need to communicate with their fans, they have such a large fanbase it's not necessary. Games in alpha AND indie developers do not necessarily have that reputation and so must earn the communities loyalty by proving they trustworthy enough to deliver the goods. The basis of that *starts* with communication!

Fellere825 and Noburu like this.
  17. Fellere825

They make what they "damn please" because they understand their consumer and their desires. They have forums, press conferences, numerous mediums of communication with their consumers. Your argument about Blizzard is slightly... Off. Every time they patch something they say, "we have been listening to the communities feedback..." Succesful corporations communicate with their consumers in one way or another. One example is when Blizzard attempted to make their forums require player's real names. The community responded back and thus Blizzard did not go through with that endeavor.

Companies need to listen to their consumer's feedback. Some might argue that it deviates from the developer's artistic freedom. What I am arguing is that if you sell a product it is a pretty good idea to talk with your consumers in order to understand what they want. Geti and MM are both the developer and the advertisers... They need to communicate in order to sell their game.

18. BlueLuigi

Listen, if you want to sell teddy bears and you have an idea for a teddy bear, people love your alphas but you decide that your real goal was something that was radically different, you can feel free to change it, but when you have 0 people interested because it's so fucking crazy different and what you gave them along the way was so different it was unexpected and you never shared your personal ideas and views about what t would be further down the line, don't be mad when people dislike you for being misleading, don't buy your newfangled radical crap and stay the hell away from anything you make in the future.

If your goal is to get money once and get the fuck out forever, mission successful you're now Notch or Redigit. If your goal is to keep making good games that people will like (have people buy in more than once), you will probably fail.

19. Vanguarde

Yes I was off with the Blizzard comparison a tad. They do listen to the fans but not during the development of a game before it is released. Blizzard will get what it wants with the real names within the next 10 years as they know they need to train their fans to accept it and to have young people were not alive when they first attempted to require real names.
    It is coming, it is just a matter of time and it will greatly improve the quality of the entire Internet experience. History will remember that Blizzard was the first big video game company to try to force real names for the betterment of their company and for the net. I think they did it personally so they can say they did it - many at Blizzard have massive egos and rightfully so because they can deliver.

And like some people here are fond of saying about the future Internet , if you don't like it - you don't have to use it.

20. Clazy

Clazy Shopkeep Stealer

This is amazing!