1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Guards - A calm discussion about existing issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by potatomcwhiskey, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Havoc

Havoc Shipwright

I know this is a topic of heated debate and much hair-pulling-out but I think we all need to calm done and take a step back and look at the problem from different perspectives. Neat and other closely business-related people stop and think from the perspective of someone paying their (parents) hard-earned money or a kid waiting a month anticipating a new game just to be let down or disappointed. BlueLuigi and Potato step back and look from the perspective of a designer like MM who works consistently to deliver a game for us.

I also know the example of shadowtales has been given but I think the point needs to be made, take for (another) example Project Zomboid, I first got the game about 8 months ago when it was in 0.17. At right about this time a new version was being fortold as " The update that makes this Left 4 Dead" and everybody was like OMG, well a week after the release date it was "a week out" and another week later the situation was the same. Well after a month or two the peasants were revolting and project Zomboid had a public relations nightmare on their hands and I personally gave up. Six months later there still "five tasks that must be completed before release" according to the devs. Let this be a lesson to make sure this same situation happens to this great game.

2. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

Some indie 'devs' are learning to BE 'devs' while making their first game. This is the problem with letting player in on pre-alpha or alpha games - fans expect too much. People need to understand that.
    I am sure the devs of Zomboid have learned many lessons in those 6 months you mentioned. Creating all new code from scratch, a totally new game - is not easy. And A.I. routines are probably the most difficult aspect to program very well.

3. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're mostly chilled out now I think, so I don't think there's need to tell everyone to take a step back anymore :p

Just a quick update to say I'm sorry I haven't made a big-ass post explaining my plans for change yet, been veryveryvery busy.
    Will try to do it soon.

BlueLuigi, Havoc, illu and 1 other person like this.
  4. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

No need to say sorry, you have to get something done then do it, In my opinion i would rather have what ever your doing a secret.