1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Guild of Grammar-Nazis: Introducing the Ivory Tower

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, May 17, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

I iz de proez glamar lazi!
    I replesent te amerika goverment.
    U haz violeted le rule of grlamar.
    I iz proez.
    Et iz net "wathing" ez is "watsjing" nubzorxlolol nububububub i hadd seks wit ur mom.
    lern englis bitsj i iz le superor to u.
    ur fater waz a women. i fuk hem to.
    kil urself, u suk. u mad, trololol

Anyway jokes aside, pretty sure it's a typo :p

I just had to :3

FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  2. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

lol guise how 2 grammarz

KnightGabe13 likes this.
  3. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I present this glorious logo.

[​IMG]

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

And I, good sir, see your logo and raise you:
    Grammarhammer.jpg
    Something, as Arch Grammar-Nazi, I wield with great aplomb. :p

{edit}
    Lol at the misspelling of "Nazis". :D

Stevedog and BlueLuigi like this.
  5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Oh the ironing!

(Actually it's coincidence, but whatever)

6. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

You know spelling is not covered by grammar, grammar is punctuation. Accurately it would be Syntax-Nazis.

7. I'm sorry, but I do believe you are mistaken.
    This was taken from here. There are a countless number of sources explaining that grammar is not purely punctuation. In short, as stated above, grammar is "The systematic study and description of a language". Nice try though.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Part of the problem, Eric, is that loose usage of 'grammar' means it can refer to many specific (but starkly different) things including, but not limited to:
    1. Syntax (i.e. the structure of language).
    2. Morphology (i.e. the composition of words within a language).
    3. Semantics (i.e. the meanings carried by words within a given structure within a given language setting/context).
    4. The study of syntax and/or morphology and/or semantics.
    5. The language used in the study of s/m/s.
    6. A book on the study of s/m/s.
    7. Someone who studies s/m/s.
    8. Someone who teaches the study of s/m/s.
    9. A educational facility that includes as part of its curriculum the study of s/m/s and/or the meta-study of the s/m/s used in the study of s/m/s.
    10. Punctuation.
    11. Spelling.
    12. Vocabulary.
    13. Anything written down.
    14. The act of writing anything down.
    15. Language itself.
    16. Etc. etc. etc...
    Of course, it's harder to make some of those applications stick as well as others, but that's only because they're not as commonly used in today's parlance . The key to it all is context, which means that in the case of 'grammar Nazi' (as it is commonly used) 'grammar' simply refers to 'appropriate use of language' (something you'll notice isn't even on the above list).

As Beaster said, nice try. :) However, perhaps you might give thought to joining the Guild of Grammar-Nazis (or at least taking note of the guild charter and in-house rules) before offering further lexical admonishment? ;)

Spoolooni and BeasterDenBeast like this.
  9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Can say personally that I almost never hear of grammar encompassing spelling, which is why they are usually referred to as 'grammar and spelling', even at a college level.

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

True, but when you compare it so some of the other things on my list (like, say, #14) and then consider that I have drawn every single one of them from personal encounters with usages of 'grammar' you begin to see how scarily important shared definitions and correct assessments of context are to everyday communication.

In the right setting, even 'grammaring' a letter to the folks back home is acceptable usage... X3

[NB: usage #11, spelling, occurred about 6 months ago between two Bach. Ed. students sitting behind me in the 'silent study' area of the campus library --> I was so appalled by their shared usage that I forgot to tell them off for talking. Seriously, "I don't know how to spell that, never cared much for grammar at school." "Yeah, me neither!" coming from two future teachers = scarey much? HELLS YES!!!! :eek:]

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

It varies on the situation quite widely as it depends on the context the speaker inherits. For example, if one should stand on a formal ground and speak or dictate the language through a more generalized manner, it would not be plausible. However, there are certain cases where a certain jargon is supported by a current community and such jargon can exist in stock brokers, gaming communities and even forums. A great example would be the word "griefing."

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97