1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The KAG experience is getting ruined by noobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chiplink, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well personally I am not bothered by inexperienced players but I think the issue doesn't stem from either the players or a lack of tutorial (though a tutorial would be great), but rather the game itself. KAG has just a shittonne of really unintuitive mechanics and random glitches we call mechanics. Look at notch climbing and the types of buildings it encourages. Ground level doors make perfect sense, making door notches doesn't at all. When was the last time you saw a fantasy game or show where they built half doors alternating with stone blocks? How do Acavado spikes even work, logically speaking. Why does holding a bomb and shielding up make you fly through the air? Why is drawbridge boosting a thing? I could give you a million examples. This doesn't have anything to do with realism or anything like that, it's just that so much of KAG makes no fucking sense. How are new players suppose to catch on to all this dumb shit right away? Especially when they get immediately yelled at or banned as soon as they try to do anything.

2. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

I guess that they'd know about 70% of the answers to their own questions if the tutorial covered all three classes.

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

stfu noob ur groend levl doars literlly got u.s. rekt, u fuckin idoit at leas try 2 jmp baddie LMAO i bet ur madder is dewg

delankski, rocker2 and Noburu like this.
  4. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

can u pls spell rite so mai brain not hert?

5. PinoyPooPow

PinoyPooPow Shark Slayer

hahah this sums me up on the tutorial, I went on it but i got boring. They should make it more fun (somehow?) When i joined and was "noob" there were plenty of people out there who showed the the mechanics, now, I see a lot of people asking but getting completely ignored :migrant:

delankski and SlyStalker like this.
  6. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That's one of the problems: first of all, you need some will: a lot of players do not even try to help the others, nor to build during the socalled 'building time' (knight and archer being locked during it would be a good step in solving the problem), they spam orders to unexperienced builders instead of changing class and making it by themselves; what is more, as far as I've seen, not everybody asks for help, they directly eat the pie. I always saw that those who ask get an answer.

7. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Locking other classes during build time is a HORRIBLE idea. Not only does it force everyone into the builder class and therefore build, but it encourages talentless builders to build when they could be gathering arrows for the initial rush or just waiting. I'm not an awful builder, but I would much rather get arrows and prepare for the rush as opposed to trying to contend with the small amount of space with other builders.

8. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Well, when a noob joins a big server and asks a really dumb question, I always say "press alt+f4" simply because you shouldn't be playing on these servers yet. There's a reason why "beginner" is the default server listing option and why KAG asks you whether you want to open the manual or not after KAG finish installing. The manual is very well put together in my opinion and it even gives some strategy tips.

I personally don't mind noobs, it's the maturity of the player. I can't stand kids yelling "HAXOR" every 10 seconds or when people do dumb things (like trying to make floating castles).

Hopefully the KAG community won't become like the Minecraft community where kids are everywhere and posting stupid video of gameplay or raps... oh wait, that already happened :|

delankski, kingofthebrithins and Ej like this.
  9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

What a helpful guy lol. A "dumb question" is almost something very easy to answer, and rather than do that you would spend your keystrokes being a dick? You do realize that the beginner filter is basically just RDM which is nothing like a CTF server and that the manual is not only just for classic but is of a vastly outdated version of classic. Even then the manual hardly tells you much of how actual gameplay pans out.
    It takes a lot of courage and effort to produce these "stupid videos". It's really very rude and unhelpful of you to be so dismissive. Everyone starts out bad and by discouraging content production now you discourage the possibility of really great content in the future. Personally I was outright disgusted when I first saw your texture pack but I didn't say anything because there was no need to.

Honestly all this is really pissing me off. It seems clear to be that it's not new players "ruining the KAG experience", it's the old players. With the incoming Steam wave it's paramount that we have strong, supportive foundation in the community so that we are ready to accept the new and grow because of it. As it stands I'm beginning to think this forum and KAG will simply fall apart. I had to accept all of you lot joining my community, why can't you do the same for others?

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

We can always start a new clan called PRIEST and what we do is just run around servers helping all the newbs and noobs in the friendliest way possible.

EDIT: Wait, that's 6 letters. NURSE?

thebonesauce likes this.
  11. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

OP is obviously bad at KAG and couldn't carry his team out of a 5 tile tall spike pit.

Needs more mavericks.

12. thebonesauce

I guess we could all be like Contrary and just pretend that everyone is a shiny special snowflake and be welcoming of the drooling masses screaming like a player I met today named Jafar. Refused to play as anything but knight, constantly blaming builders for anything and everything that went wrong. Even when he died. I offered some advice and he kept calling me, and I quote, a "builder nob" any time I tried to tell him jumping solo into a mosh pit of 5+ knights was a bad idea. But you know, let's just act like the community is infallible and that these new players don't give a fuck about community or being a team or anything of the like. Please, everyone welcome the selfish screaming retards with open arms, regardless of whether they actually want to learn or not.

THAT is what pisses me off. The fact that we're supposed to just "accept" these people regardless of their mindset or intentions. If we just accept these people without trying to thicken their skin, the community WILL turn to shit.

Jafar, delankski, Alpaca and 3 others like this.
  13. welp it looks like you consider yourself a snow flake that can be a dick to other people that are "drooling masses"

14. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Well, I didn't point out any person (there's actually a few KAG music/rap/etc. videos out there). With your point of view, isn't it rude for you to say my texture pack is disgusting you? Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, nothing is wrong with that. While it is true that everyone starts out bad, does that means we can't have negative criticism? No one is going to improve efficiently unless you have another eye to see what you're doing wrong. If you make something people don't like, then don't do the same thing again. I had my share of criticism in the past, and it certainly helped me improve my skills.

There's a clear difference between great content and just simply something someone made for laughs and whatnot. I wouldn't call creating a video an act of "courage", most people just upload contents because they think it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. If it's good, then give yourself a pat on the back.

The manually gives screenshots, controls, and all the core basics you need to start KAG. Here's one of the few first page in it:
    [​IMG]

Want to know how to change class? It's in there. How about suicide? It's in there too. The manually talks about
    each individual classes and tells their weak and strong points. If you take your time to read this, you wouldn't have so much problems starting KAG.

15. thebonesauce

All I'm saying is that on the whole, most of the newer, in game only community are young, immature, and don't care about learning the game. I am all for starting a group of older players with an in game name that signifies to newer players that we are there to help learn game mechanics. MEDIC, maybe? I dunno. Maybe encourage the devs to post something on the devlog about the group telling newer players to keep an eye out for us and that we're HAPPY to help new players learn. How does that sound?

Chiplink and link6155 like this.
  16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

They should grant us a special color and tag. Lol.

17. thebonesauce

I'm dead serious though. When I get home from work tonight, I'll start a thread and/or IRC channel for those interested in pitching in. A dedicated beginner's server or detailed manual or tutorial won't really suffice. They need to be in the midst of battle with someone experienced coaching them.

18. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Make a Conversation and just ask people to ask you to add them to that and we'll start a IRC and forum group lol if there isnt one already.

19. thebonesauce

I don't think anything like that exists. I'll be home around 11:30 EST and I'll set to work on it.

Cerbercre likes this.
  20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'd say HELP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.