1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Story The Life And Times Of The Badmin, or How King Arthur's Gold Ruined My Sanity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thebonesauce, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

Exactly what I'm doing every single time. You missed a part of our discussion. What I was saying was that it's sometimes annoying when I hear "griefer" too many times (especially during collapses) and have to do what you said here as often as 4 times per minute. Some cases in which only one player reported the griefer turned out to be true - so I became paranoid about even the one-person complaints ever since.

Many cases don't unfortunately. That's why I'd appreciate if the players making complaints will mention the name of the griefer as well, which will make it sound more credible instead of vaguely throwing "griefer" into the chat. It also, obviously, make it easier and faster for me to spot the trouble-maker.

2. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

As an admin it's your job to find out and ensure that other people are having fun, not to ensure you're having fun yourself. Sure you can have fun but when it comes to admining it's not about fun. If you want fun then just don't admin.

3. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

I am always trying to tolerate noobs and teach them what they did wrong and how to prevent it later and all that, but damn the constant flow of them never ends and I usually catch the same ones doing it. I will try to stay patient with them but the ones who refuse to listen and act stupid on purpose will be dealt with accordingly

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

I'm pretty sure you people forgot the definition of "badmins". Lets take a stroll down memory lane and look at KARPS server. OH GOD THE HORROR, STOP THE FLASHBACKS NOOO---

See? Wasn't that terrible? Thinking you are a "badmin" because the public opinion of white named plebs, is that you are a "badmin" is silly. They are bad and they should feel bad, and you shouldn't feel bad administrating their ass when you need to. It would be like going into an extreme state of depression if one day, a four year old called you a butthead. It's silly, you're being silly.. stop being silly.

Also if you wanted some really good examples of "badmins" go make a trip to a Spess Station 13 server like Nox, you'll regret it and immediately see that people like Ej and VanHuek were Gods amongst administrators.

5. :(

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

There's nothing left to be said, bone. I think you summed it up perfectly. I spent my time as one of those terrible players (though it wasn't because I didn't want to learn - it was because I was a stubborn and stupid piece of shit) and frankly, I'm still far from perfect, but after a time, I began to notice that the community was going to hell too.

I miss those old days when the game wasn't all that deep, when knights didn't have to time slashes, when buildings floated, and we would charge the enemy base happily singing a KAG'ified version of Bohemian Rhapsody:

"Mama... just killed a man
    Put a bow against his head
    Plucked the bowstring
    Now he's dead..."

Maybe I'm being stupid and silly, but I sure as hell liked it a lot better when everyone was stupid and silly and we didn't care that the game wasn't all that great yet because we were just having fun being a team.

I really hope that the community can become cool again. A good community is half of the joy you get out of the game, and if we lose that, we're gonna be wasting a great game's potential just because some of us are stupid, stubborn assholes like I was at one point.

Rayne likes this.
  7. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'm glad this sparked some attention and that everyone seems to have some idea of what's going on. Well done gents.

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

back when blast was still a clan, we got banned from their ctf server with 3 teams for capping the flag.

just before that, he froze me for attacking the other team.

GG no re

9. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

Stupid, malicious players usually receive more attention than anyone else (just like the real world!), and dirty the reputation of the KAG player-base at large as a result. Best to just activate your crap-filter when dealing with them and focus on the good-hearted, if sometimes juvenile and incompetent, players that make up the rest of the community :heart:

It helps to have the patience of a monk.

inactive_account likes this.
  10. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

The problem isn't having the patience of a monk. Most of the time admins start out this way, but after months.... Upon months of being an admin, and having to deal with really bad players, you just get tired of it.

What you say is true, that the majority of the player base seems to be "good-hearted, if sometimes juvenile and incompetent", but in a lot of cases, incompetence leads to greifing, and from my experience, about 30% of the people I freeze for greifing say: "Sorry admin, I didn't mean too" after I ask them what they're doing, then I just let them go and watch em for awhile longer, most of the time they really do learn. The other 70% either don't respond or say "$!#@ off abusive admin" or something similar.

lavalord likes this.
  11. I find that this is remarkably effective:

1. Warning, telling them what they did wrong.
    2. If still doing it, 1-hour ban.
    3. If I see them doing it again, 1-day ban.
    4. If I see them doing it again, perm-ban.
    5. If I see them again, drop poo all over their IRL mailbox and stick Cease and Desist letters in it.

I rarely ever have to get past #1, but when I get to #5, it has a 100% success rate.

FuzzyBlueBaron, LucasTT and Contrary like this.
  12. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

That was actually a joke, if a poor one. I know it's hard to be patient with people who show no gratitude & have zero respect for other players. If it's not that testing your patience, then it's a language barrier, youth (I know I had a similarly dickish attitude to internet authority when I was 12), or maybe just plain old trolling.

13. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

My advice is focus on one server and try keeping it clean. When I was playing everyday I did this with the Original BC CTF, (actually run by BC, I have no idea who runs the new server) and it worked wonders, one warning and that was it. We had a really clean server for the better part of three months until BC could no longer host a server. 15 minute bans and hour bans do nothing for the majority of the problem players. flagrant unapologetic griefers were immediately permanbanned. It was a steep penalty, but it kept the server clean and improved the player experience for the 95% of players doing the right thing. If they care enough to play on the server they can contest and/or apologize on the forums and get a second chance. This almost never happens.

I've never met an admin who didn't have a bad moment or two. Most of us in this position are amateurs, just trying to do the best we can to keep the game clean. I'll be happy if a system can be implemented where guards are no longer needed.

But seriously, you should all just give up. Resign yourselves to making giant bomb spam towers the whole game and hoard fat bags of coins for endgame. It's a great stress reliever and gives Contrary angina.

14. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

Anyone who says bomb-spam towers are stupid; boring; overpowered; taking advantage of people's impatience; or anything like that is is a crybaby noob. I am one of those crybaby noobs.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Rayne and Kalikst like this.
  15. This is pretty much all I ever do on BC nowadays too. That and get a million on-ground cata kills.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Kalikst like this.
  16. thebonesauce

Word. Nothing beats farming all game for wood/coins, building up a sick base tower, and then spamming bombs and chainsawing your way into the enemy towers with a cata at close range. Niggos don't know what hit em.

17. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Pretty fucking spot on bonesauce, I see you finally realized that eventually you become an asshole, I had to deal too much with new admins around that time that you joined MOLE blaming older admins for being too mean and being assholes, but eventually you do it enough and you run into the same thing, it's a bit of a tough thing to say, but you eventually get to the heart of it and can easily identify the griefers/trolls by what they're about to do and don't have to wait for them to do it. Similar to how if you see a shady guy with a bulge in his hoodie pocket and sunglasses walk in your store you know he's probably going to rob you or shoot the place up, you see a guy making a fucking shitty structure and you know it's only a step away, especially when they laugh at others trying to get across and such.

That said I've had a little fun trolling on alt accounts, and so have many people, in fact most veterans probably have at some point or another, but usually it doesn't last, it's boring as fuck contrary to popular belief, you might last a day or two doing it and then you say fuck it, this shit is gay, I'd rather just play and win.

18. thebonesauce

Then you get people like KLAUStrue who have been doing it for a year solid, and continue to do so.
    </br>--- merged: Jun 26, 2013 1:40 AM ---</br>
    It's funny, thinking back, I actually experienced a brief moment of TRUE admin bus.

Back when Jaedizzle's House was the hot-happening server, I joined one night on a whim. At this point, I had only been playing for a few days... I didn't know a whole lot of people at this point, nor did I know who Jaedizzle was. So I was playing as a knight and noticed a builder digging under one of our structures. I got down to where he was, and just as I was about to slash him, he froze me and spammed 2525. He eventually unfroze me and let me kill him, but he left me frozen a little longer than he should have and I got pissed. It was Jaedong himself, and I went onto the forums and ranted, hard. This was a moment of true admin abuse, unlike what kids cry about nowadays. I took it a little too far, but I was far too angry.

FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  19. My arse tightens to diamond-crushing strength when I deal with some of these idiots. I'm only admin on one server, but I still get hateful. Niko Bellic is less bitter than me, even if his annoying cousin asks him to bowl twenty times in a week.

"Oh no mister, I didn't grief or speedhack. It's lag."

I can't believe the amount of people that spew that shit. Especially if one starts to swear me out worse than a drunk soccer mom. Some of these people turn into goddamn sailors when someone stops them from ruining a game. Asshole crackerjacks, I'm stupid for giving them 1 or 2 freezes before banning them. I refuse to play this game sometimes because I know I'll have to deal with one or two. And this is the game that I payed more for a single hat than I ever will in TF2.

I can even be doing good in a game and I'll ragequit because of these players. I don't get how you learn to deal with these little shits. It's like they came straight out of the womb, cod, and then came to Kag as a pacifier for their pre-k hate. And then I try to tell them to stop, and it's like their family tree is a wreath. NO ONE is better off for knowing these people. They're just depressing, and I hope deeply that they find a single-player game to wither away and die upon.

Kazaco97 and Viken like this.
  20. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

:up: Don't forget that there are a lot of kids playing this game.

Sometimes I can't blame them.