1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The meaning of your name?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Eggnogg, Jan 31, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Oh man, I would not have said that on this forum if I were you!

wilpin7 likes this.
  2. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

Thanks for the suggestion, edited my post.

Also, I think I've found one of my very old name, which I don't think I've actually ever used on a forum ... it's just an idea : MegaShark2k or MEGAShark2000, looks better when the numbers are as high as capital letters.

ParaLogia, Sir_Walter and hierbo like this.
  3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It's okay. @Arcrave gets called pretty much everything else under the sun, so one more blow to his ego won't hurt. :rekt:

wilpin7 and hierbo like this.
  4. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

[​IMG]

5. PussyDestroyer

PussyDestroyer Bison Rider

Butthurt DETECTED !!!!!!

6. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Well fook it's my favourite food. :shad:

7. Noctambula

Noctambula Catapult Fodder

I usually use another nickname around the internet, but it has been a long time since i last use the usual one in a game... So i just wanted to change and get back to Noctambula, another one that i used to have on WoW.

It means noctambulant in Spanish.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.

8. "Night walking"?

similar to "somnambulism", "sleep walking"?

9. Noctambula

@Reudh nop, it's just someone who sleeps very late at night, not sleep walking, fortunately XD

10. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Actually, someone that is "noctambulo" walks during the night while being asleep, at least that is what the RAE says ...

11. A somnambulist is someone who sleepwalks, from "somnus" sleep and "ambulus" probably got the spelling wrong, but meaning "movement or walking" - eg. in the word ambulance, pram (perambulator) or ambulation.

Similarly, noctambulo would be "night walker".

dayleaf likes this.
  12. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Good Latin the one you have there :thumbs_up:

13. Noctambula

Actually the RAE says that it is someone who walks during the night, not someone who walks during being asleep... But it may also mean, or used to mean what you are saying because of the roots of the word.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Mmm. I always took to noctambulo mean a person/creature of nocturnal habits. So basically like the idiomatic "night owl", only with a different lexical heritage. In a kinda similar vein (hue) to vampires (hue) and other beasties being "creatures of the night". I find it interesting, however, that I never made the connection with somnambulist; given the whole "ambulist" part of it. ::P:

Sir_Walter and Noctambula like this.
  15. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Also, my in-game name (J. Kashmir) stands for "J-man of Kashmir".

Which, obviously my classic nickname is J-man and "Kashmir" is a disputed region between India and Pakistan.

But I mainly named it that because my favorite rock song of all time is called "Kashmir", and since it is also a region it makes sense to call myself "J-man of Kashmir".

FuzzyBlueBaron and 8x like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi