1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The new Sailor Moon Crystal sucks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Klokinator, Jul 22, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The proof is in the pudding.

2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I can't say I've ever watched much anime, or, to be honest, even cared too much about it, but, from your description, it sounds like you're extremely disappointed that it's not identical to the original in every single way possible.

My understanding is that an exact remake is called a clone, rather than a remake. Remakes aren't supposed to be identical, otherwise none of them would ever be fun.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

If it was different in a good way, like redefining the genre, great.
    If it kept the original sountrack, maybe altering it a bit and making it sound more updated for the newer generation, fine.
    If it was different because it was following the manga (It is, from what I've heard) then that's also really great, except it doesn't add anything new in the first episode. No quick jokes, nothing funny, nothing badass, everything feels soulless and generic. The art is lazy, the animation is lazy, and the pacing is about as cliched and generic as you can get.

Considering the original Sailor Moon started the magical girl genre, I had always hoped a remake would either retain all of the best parts from the original (Music, etc) while fixing the bad parts (...the plot) and maybe even redefine the genre by not making all the girls a bunch of wimpy little shits that need protecting or suddenly get random inner strength from literally nowhere. That last part's a big maybe, but the first two are pretty much musts.

The show's pretty much just a big generic cash grab on the Sailor Moon name.

Mods: BlueLuigi