1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Problem

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Contrary, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArrowSteps

ArrowSteps Catapult Fodder

Door ladders have been around and been used for pretty long as far as I know. I am not that much of a veteran, but I think they should definitely stay, as they are a quite iconic structure that belongs to the game.

Why not simply nerf them, instead of removing them? Make single doors that are supported by a stone (castle wall) block below and on top of it be destroyed with one slash, or maybe two.
    Besides keeping a very well known and frequently used part of the game this would also not break anything else about doors, like archer nests with doors at the bottom.

2. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Get off of the door? I actually consider that a positive side-effect.

3. Verdant

Verdant Shopkeep Stealer

... that's a simple fix. put the door lower. have an extra trapdoor there. 2 trapdoors. jump up or down to open and close.

MooCowMan and Chrispin like this.
  4. Chrispin

For the sake of clarity:

Door ladders/elevators?
    :door:

...or notch doors?
    :castle_wall:

5. ArrowSteps

The latter. My proposed fix would not change anything about elevators. :)
    Sorry if they are called notch doors and not door ladders, haven't been around that long. :>

6. Chrispin

Well opening doors on touch wouldn't affect notch doors, only door elevators. That was a completely different suggestion than what I had in mind for removing notch door climbing.

Anyway, yeah what you said would be a good compromise, but it doesn't seem to make as much sense logic-wise.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Door elevators should die, notches should stay.

By die I mean don't encourage people to use that crap

8. Chrispin

That leaves slow poke door hallways and that annoying downward-movement-through-doors glitch. It solves more problems than just door elevators.

9. That also means:
    -building door hallways isn't so bad anymore. It encourages newbies to do it.
    -you will fall down when standing on any 2wide vertical doors.

10. Chrispin

Newbies just need to learn that door hallways aren't a good defense, and you'll just need to jump over horizontal doorways. It's really not that big of a deal.

Newbs will build door hallways no matter what, so it's best to at least make them less annoying.

11. ArrowSteps

So does a notch climbing knight who propels himself further upwards with the help of a bomb thrown above his head. ;)

12. Chrispin

True, true. Just keep in mind that I don't want to remove team-exclusive vertical climbing at this moment, but rather down the road when other gameplay mechanics are added first. It simply wouldn't be fun if it were removed now.

13. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

Thing is though, that they could be if built correctly (assuming that the delay of passing through door hallways is resolved):

:castle_wall:Tower and Stufs
    :castle_wall:Tower and Stufs
    :castle_wall::bridge::castle_wall::bridge::castle_wall::bridge::castle_wall:
    :door::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::door:
    :door::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::door:

Archers get to rain hell through slits!
    (The Trap Bridges aren't necessary, just cosmetic.)

14. ArrowSteps

I am quite new, but isn't that a design where even a poorly thrown bomb destroys two door blocks at minimum?

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The bridges eat bombs thrown on floor to breakn next door

16. Quiles

Quiles Catapult Fodder

First post on forum woot!

Anyways, down to buisness. I personally feel from playing KAG for a while now on and off (Take note I do not play a ton and I am not that good, probably a little lower than average) I feel that instead of ubernerfing buildings more counters should be made instead. There is much siege equipment hinted at on the main page - maybe that should be accelerated to a priority, also frontline/sapper builders could get a buff as well (increased breaking speed? Kinda makes sense anyways as a builder seems to take a similar time to a knight to break a door down).

Couple of other misc ideas
    1: You can no longer add blocks touching a building that has recently been damaged by an enemy (by bombs, knights on doors, a builder or catapult). This would allow a sapper builder to slowly break through a wall without the enemy builders repeatedly expanding the wall
    2: Team doors now open to allow projectiles from siege weapons to pass through - Archers no longer counter catapults as much (they have to time their arrows a bit or the opposing team just has to go on the offensive). Since this seems like it could create a wall dectruction machine that is almost unstoppable, maybe make catapults stationary (once its placed and fired a shot it no longer can be moved) and more expensive, this way its a 1 wall 1 catapult sort of thing. This could also just be an alternative siege weapon like a cannon

Minor edit: MOAR IDEAS

3: Can no longer place stone blocks underground (means builders can no longer block up tunnels)

BlueLuigi likes this.
  17. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Repairing is so OP... Nerf repairing and a lot of y'all will be happy.

18. Quiles

Quiles Catapult Fodder

This is what I mean by cannot build on a structure being destroyed, would make it impossible to just constantly repair stuff being destroyed while allowing defenders to patch up thier castle if they actually manage to drive the defenders away

Fellere825 likes this.
  19. L-III-III-7

L-III-III-7 Shopkeep Stealer

door elevators are hilarious but then again so is shield flying and bomb jumping and those things should be removed

Noburu likes this.
  20. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I like the idea of a stationary catapult. So annoying when I'm on a kill/destruction streak and some noob jacks my cata... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

However, no longer being able to place stone underground? What, are you nuts? If some noob is tunneling into my base, I run him down and kill him, why on Earth would it not let me plug up where he left off? Tunneling (incorrectly, which is 95% of the time) is annoying, game-losing, and provides a direct route under all the structures you worked so hard on to keep the enemy out. That's just...

[​IMG]

Please refer to what Mr. Vader has said.

Bomb jumping and shield glides (maybe you're referring to the fly glitch? in which case I agree with that) are what make this game so goddamn fun.

Refer to this video;

Chinizz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.