1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Term "Griefing"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoolooni, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

After playing a few matches today, I can't help but to criticize the fact that many players in this game are almost ignorant about what griefing really is. Turns out, that most of the time, the definition of griefing to them is completely different than the universal definition. Honestly, I'd like to say that people are taking such a term into zealous attempt to make their decisions seem more superior, eventually our community will be pushed into a "Salem Grief Hunt."

There are many exploits and misuse of the term Grief. One of the most common usage of the term can be found in an impulsive and team-resistant player that uses such term as an ominous propaganda to force people to compromise, especially certain admins. For example, today in one of the matches, I decided to build a roof on top of a bridge.Unfortunately, I got a few people claiming I was griefing because they certainly didn't like the idea of getting roofed from a falling sky-bridge that is 2 units in width at it's support.

Besides the most unreasonable way to abuse such term as stated above, some players go to an extent to use it to blame other people for their mistakes. Common mistakes such as failing to wall slide, falling into spike traps and being a petty little handicapped team member who can't seem to do proper jumps.

Perhaps the reason why I'm making this post as of now is due to my past experiences with players abusing such terms. I got booted from a server today, because some builder who supposedly was angry at me because I destroyed an abnormal area sticking out of our team's defensive wall, while an unfortunate ignorant and supposedly "innocent" archer decides he could get pass the team division line during build time. Of course, the other builders just like the zealous victims of some LSD symptom, cry out "GRIEF' and supposedly other idiots would most likely believe him/her. People should understand that accidents do happen and they aren't necessarily griefing.

It seems that Grief is more or less a facial mask of ignorance and pride, while being the carrier of most impatient players waiting for a knight to take on the opposition faction on his/her own. I absolutely suggest some kind of decisive way to enforce new methods that encourage investigations, supplements of sufficient evidence and any other way to help us create a "just" KAG community. Generally speaking, it would be rather practical for people to educate themselves the difference between a grief victim, an accidental victim and an impulsive inbred.

Agent_008, Shark_Skull8 and HERaLD like this.
  2. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Agreed. Completely.
    I see way too many people kicked for greifing, yet MANY, MANY real greifers, destroying the teams towers, skybridges, making elaborate graves for themselves with the teams resources, all mostly unnoticed.

3. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Again, I can see what you mean. Turns out that the average scenario of a grief claim is often revealed as a conflict between two builders and 1 blueprint.

4. I see griefing as "hindering your own team or a member of your team which could lead to a loss." The obvious of course being tower toppling and workshop destroyers. The less obvious being the ignorants as you desrcibed. Building useless ttowers is a hinderence. Tunnels starting at the back, etc.

Of course there isn't a whole lot the general public can do, since no one seems to want to vote-kick. And there aren't mods at all times. But reporting people helps. And educating newbs helps also. Some ignorant cannot be helped though; said people are everywhere.

Agent_008 and Divreus like this.
  5. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

TL;DR= Griefing - to cause grief.
    End of story.

6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I can see where you are coming from. I myself have been called a griefer for improving a structure by destroying a few blocks here and there or adding traps that require the removal a few blocks as well. Often enough though, other people smarter people tend who can see what I'm doing defend me, but I guess I have the advantage of being a guard.

When I as a guard deal with someone who's possible griefing I'll freeze them and I'll first ask "What are you doing". If the reponse is valid and a good idea, I'll unfreeze them and let them continue. If they response is valid, but it's a bad idea, I'll unfreeze them and tell them why it's a bad idea. People who don't answer, decide to be dicks or simply say "I'm sorry I won't grief again" are usually griefers and I kick them.

Also, while I may not consider a "roof" on a sky bridge/regular bridge griefing, I will say that it's a bad idea, especially if it's made of stone. It allows the other team to use it, which kind of makes the whole point of the bridge useless as it won't be team only.

7. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

The roof was below the sky bridge, and it was a walk way for many knights and archers.

8. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Um, here is the thing.​
    I agree that griefing as a term has been blown way out of proportion in some cases, but I can't help noticing you're a premium member.​
    Premium members can only be "booted" by a Guard or Server Admin. Perhaps this was a misunderstanding? (ping kick) Also, if you really were kicked by a Guard or Admin for "griefing", then maybe you should reevaluate your meaning of griefing. I know of very few instances where Admins or Guards kick people wrongfully.

I have never been kicked from any server for griefing, ever; I usually announce profusely before I collapse something in the way or unhelpful to us. I suggest you be more careful in the future.

EDIT: Kouji. . . :p

9. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Agreed, skybridges function best with team bridges, with gaps to avoid an enemy making everyone else fall off, and stone wall.
    Often enemy archers can't hit people traversing the bridge, should they be moving and/or shielding.
    This makes me remember an awesome skybridge on a server, a greifer destroyed the link between the bridge and the tower...
    Funnily enough, it killed most of the remaining enemy, more then the people currently on the bridge could have killed should they not have fallen off a collapsing bridge.

10. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I get called a greifer when i break door hallways.

11. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Nope, wasn't kicked by a guard because It did say on my chat box that I've been voted out by a few people who happen to be his/her friends.

Again, I wouldn't call inexperienced builders griefers, I also find it unnecessary to start any trouble with them on anyone, it just creates a vulnerable dilemma. Like I said in my first reply to this thread, most of the time, a grief claim turns out be a 2 builders disagreeing on a single blueprint. I would hope you're not one of those people who make false claims like that.

12. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Some servers premium doesent work.​

13. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

This is not supposed to be possible, did you report this? Unless you're not a premium in-game?

14. [guards and admins are the only way for premiums to be kicked. And thats why i added that end part about educating new players. The wonderous 1 block thick towers in the middle of nowhere are not helpful and can be collapsed easily so to make the player better you explain why and stuff.

And I usually stay out of the griefer business. If i catch someone I'm calm about it. Not screaming like you described :p

15. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I must say though, even if it wasn't suppose to happen, I supported the democratic values of the vote system none the less.

I wouldn't say destroying your own creation is griefing, besides, if you really did do such a thing, you practically wasted your time and resource taken for your work.

16. Burgerlolz

Burgerlolz Builder Stabber

I played only for one week now and I figured out most of the time someone call people griefer because they destroy block (I was called griefer while I was rebuilding a tower I made). I have seen someone destroying shops and stuff only once, I think there isn't al ot of griefer, in the game, it's just people whining just like every team based game.

17. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Again, I can also see where you are coming from. Perhaps I'll resort to building a map under my control for zombie mode.

18. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

@Killatron, as of yet, I haven't made the mistake of banning a person who wasn't griefing

Just to add an additional point.

I think one of the biggest reasons that people automatically say "GRIEFER GRIEFER" is because they consider a building their own. I feel that if people thought of the buildings that were being built as the team's tower and not as their own tower, they'd be less likely to call others griefers as they'd might see how it can possibly improves the base as a whole. I guess people can't admit that their idea might have not been best, as you said, so they call others griefers instead for changing it.

19. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I agree, those two builders could have build an defensive wall of 8 blocks in width instead of building two separate walls. Yet again, KAG can be played creativity and people tend to express their selves, I myself decided to do some "modern architecture" while everyone was on the front-lines. After all, we were winning and they didn't seem to mind me adding decorative roofs on every team building Dx. That's just probably my Terraria attitude towards building.

I have to say though, if there were minimal amounts of bigots in KAG, this game would be far more fun.

20. Burgerlolz

Burgerlolz Builder Stabber

I think it's relative to the personality of the player, people tends to wants an egoistic recognition for what they do instead of just sharing to others. Griefing is about greed and personal fun only( Yeah I can understand that for some people it is fun to destroy other people structures) These "grifer" problem exists on most of the game you play. Including "Triple A" blockbuster game. You can't change people's mind, but may be we can improve it a bit.

Spoolooni likes this.