1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The Term "Griefing"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoolooni, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Anything that is done out of ignorance is not griefing.

Anything that is deliberate is griefing.

Figuring out what the intention of the player was, is the question you need to ask when you decide whether to kick or not... I find.

Noburu, Acavado and Kouji like this.
  2. It is common sense not to block up a doorway without at least explanation, which would be acceptable, on some occasions. If it's an accident of course they can say so. But no one just runs up and bloks a doorway that could be crucial at te moment unless they are griefing which I have seen happen before. It's minor of course and can be easily fixed but it's still a form. Not many people build multi-enterence towers at the moment. So blocking it up is a hinderence. And in my eyes that's griefing if they don't give a reason.

Obviously you can disagree because there is no blueprint. Everyone has different opinions on the matters. Each moderator will see a case differently! This is my opnion about it. Of course yours is different.

3. MonkyD

MonkyD Builder Stabber

I always play as an offensive builder and as such make it my duty to destroy the oppositions structures. It drives me crazy when people on my own team call this griefing - this game is all about castle sieges!

Yes this does normally kill me (and sometimes slow teammates not paying attention) and I agree that turning structures against a enemy is sometimes a powerful weapon, but for me I just want to 'bring it down!!!' this destroys there defenses once and for all and ultimately gets you closer to the flag cap.

4. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Are you warning people beforehand?

5. MonkyD

MonkyD Builder Stabber

Normally but not always, to be honest it's pretty obvious when it's going to happen as I'm normally bashing at the bottom of a structure for ages beforehand :-)

6. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Generally, experienced builders and players would know the builder's intentions, especially builders who intend to put down 1 way traps and dangling stone blocks.

7. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

I would define griefing as a deliberate attempt to cause known harm to your team.
    I was once called a griefer for destroying part of an enemy tower that was way too far on the other side to be made into an effective second base-point. The tower wasn't even really a tower, it was a two-block wide stone pillar covered in ladders and teambridges. It would have been a pain to convert, so I collapsed it.
    Sure, it was deliberate, but that doesn't mean that it was griefing.

8. Divreus

Divreus Shipwright

I've been labeled a griefer 10+ times because **** ground-level doors. It really is a misused term. Or maybe I have more to learn about the art of buildering.

9. TerryDactyl

TerryDactyl KAG Guard Tester

ground-level doors aren't griefing, unless you're breaking a wall to build them. Ground-level doors, rarely seen on real castles, are easily destroyed by incoming forces. Raise your door at least 4 blocks off the ground, preferably 8. There's a few hotheads around who really like to throw up a fuss when their teammates don't know all the intricacies of the game.

10. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Indeed. It's not griefing, a higher door is overall just better. I do dislike seeing veterans call new players noobs, just because they did something wrong. They learned it for the first time some time as well.

11. Most of us tell them why it's bad. Ik terry does! I've seen him explain it :p we just tell them why it's bad and delete it and show them an alternative

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I only resort to calling people noobs if they don't listen and use the :) smiley while tearing through an effective structure and replacing stone with teamdoors.

jerloch likes this.
  13. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Well that is good :)