1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Video thebonesauce's Let's Play KAG Krash Kourse!

Discussion in 'KAG Media' started by thebonesauce, Feb 23, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

So, I've decided to make a few simple videos in relation to the wave of newcomers we've been getting from TotalBiscuit, Yogscast, etc. Often, it's difficult for new players to get into the groove and it took me a few weeks to become fairly competent at this game. It's also insanely difficult to try to teach new players IN GAME because you're frantically trying to not only play to win, but teach the new guys what you know. Doesn't always work!

I wanna make a few videos explaining the basic idea of the game, the objectives, the classes and how they function, how they're essential, some quick and easy building techniques and efficient structures, tips, tricks, etc. I feel this will really benefit the community in the long run as it's becoming increasingly apparent that we are constantly going to be getting "noobs" in the game, and maybe just a quick video or two can get them at least caught up and on their way.

My question is, what kind of video software can I use that is free, simple, and allows me to film only the game itself? And I'm on a (fairly decent) laptop, I'm only gonna use the onboard microphone... Should I get some kind of audio software too (Audacity)?

Any suggestions would be great, and I would really love to start working on this tonight.

2. Burgerlolz

Burgerlolz Builder Stabber

I would recommend recording the mic via audacity, and recording the game with FRAPS, so you get two clear audio if you wanna cut something. or if some thing are not understandable because of the game's sound.

3. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Get a friend with really good camera control to film your computer screen. :D

Other wise, Fraps and maybe try sony vegas, that's if you want to get into the editing scheme.

4. thebonesauce

I was thinking fraps, but I was wondering if there might be something else... But that's okay! No problem.

Maybe Camtasia?

Either way, I think tonight I'll work on the script, and since tomorrow is a free day, I'll record the gameplay and audio.

5. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I guess Camtasia would be great since it pretty much does both jobs. Takes a while to get use to though, at least from my experience.

6. thebonesauce

My biggest issue is that I need something that's free and records more than 30 seconds at a time. fraps is great, but after a few test runs I can't get more than 30 seconds of video at a time.

7. knightl

knightl Base Burner

I use the premium of fraps cost me like $2 great price

8. thebonesauce

Meh, I unfortunately don't have access to a debit card (again) in order to register anything. Just something simple for like a week, especially to pass the time til zombies... :D

9. knightl

knightl Base Burner

ah haha well unless you dip low to the illegal level you might have to use camstudios

10. FlyingGroundhog

FlyingGroundhog Shopkeep Stealer

That's great! Good luck, try to make it nicely constructed. I will support if I like it! :D

11. thebonesauce

Thanks for the support guys! I'll hopefully find something that makes a good recording (fraps was my favorite thus far, excellent recording quality but too short recording time) and then I'll dub commentary over the gameplay. It'll have a mixture of Sandbox+ (the mod presented in the Modding section that will allow me to show off buildings, effectiveness of buildings, structure ideas, etc) and actual live game (for combat and on-the-fly building techniques).

I have kind of high hopes for this!

12. knightl

knightl Base Burner

great to hear i've spent all day recording some commentaries also

13. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

Please don't talk about torrents, torrenting websites, et cetera if the material is strictly illegal to torrent-e.g, any copyrighted material at all--. -Kyzak

14. knightl

knightl Base Burner

do not discuss illegal copyright disruption and do not advertise such things (especially a premium player)

thebonesauce likes this.
  15. thebonesauce

Here is the first draft of the simplified Knight and Archer tutorial.

Hello all! Welcome to Let's Play King Arthur's Gold; The Krash Kourse! I'm your host, thebonesauce. This will be a series of videos that will try to answer any and all questions you may have about the game! In this particular installment, I will briefly cover the first two classes and their mechanics; the Knight and the Archer.

As you can see here, I am in a modified version of the Sandbox mode called Sandbox Plus, which makes it more like a normal Capture The Flag game, but with bots instead of players. I highly suggest downloading this mod, it can be found in the Modding section of the KAG forums! While the normal Sandbox is quite nice and allows you to work on different structures and defenses on your own time, Sandbox Plus puts you in a more combat-oriented situation with less-threatening bots and allows you to practice not just the builder, but the knight and archer as well!

Let's get started then, shall we? As you can see, I have put together a rather simple defense with a few different structures which I will go over when I discuss the builder, but for now I will show you all about the knight class.
    As you can see, the knight has a sword and shield, much to be expected. If you hold down the right mouse button, you will hold up your shield. You can point it in whichever direction you point the mouse, so practice using your shield as much as you can as it can be a lifesaver! Next, if you simply left click once, you do a short ranged jab with your sword. This can be done over and over, but against a shielded knight there is a far better method to taking him down! If you hold it down, you'll see a meter appear. Release the mouse button when the meter is full, and you will perform a slash. As you may have seen in the instruction manual, it IS possible to perform a double slash, which effectively kills anyone in your path, or stuns a shielded knight and does a fair bit of damage to him as well! Practice in the Swordfight portion of the Single Player area, get the timing down and you'll be slicing and dicing in no time!

Now, let's assume you've killed a few people, have some money, and you have noticed these shops sitting around. This one is called a Quarters, it will heal you given enough time and coins. This is an arrow shop, which will allow you to purchase one arrow for one coin, bundled in stacks of ten. This is a bomb shop, which is the knight's best weapon BY FAR; you can hold 3 bombs at any given time, and to purchase more you will need 20 coins each. Finally, this shop is called a Siege Shop. At the time of this recording, you can only purchase an Outpost, which allows you to respawn and change classes wherever you place it, and a catapult which will fire stone you have mined, bombs, and even teammates! You will notice that knights love to be launched for some reason, but be wary! It will often lead to your death!

Now, with our 3 bombs, let's practice some bombing essentials. To light the fuse, simply press the F key. You will hear it light and start hissing, which will let you know that you better get rid of it; and soon. If you hover your mouse over the bomb, you can actually see a countdown; this is ESSENTIAL when bombjumping comes into play, which I will discuss shortly. After it is lit, simply press F again to throw it. However, just pressing F will make it plop down in front of you. No, you need some momentum behind your throw! Run backwards a bit, run forward and THEN throw! This will give you a bit more distance than just throwing it from a standing position. Add a jump to throw it even farther! Mess around with the aim, movement, arc, and distance to be able to learn how to put the bomb exactly where you want it every time.

Let's assume that the enemy has either thrown a bomb back at you, or have picked up your bomb and thrown it back... First off, don't be discouraged if you are killed! You are going to die in this game... A LOT. That is a given! But you can defend yourself as a knight. All you have to do is locate where the bomb landed and point your shield at it. Don't be alarmed should you go flying but are still alive; this means you did it right! Using your shield effectively doesn't end with just blocking bombs, arrows, and a few swords either. Let's say that you are, like I am, stuck at the top of a high ledge. How do you get down? Well, simply walk off and point your shield up; you should start gliding! If done right and not from too high up, you should receive minimal damage, if any at all!

Now, let's get to the fun part. Remember how I went flying in the air when shielding myself from that bomb blast? You can use this to your advantage with something called bombjumping! It's just as awesome as it sounds. You can either do it like I did, by shielding from a bomb thrown to the ground, or you can do it the more fun way. Let's climb up this small tower and learn a more effective and fun bombjump. Press the F key to light the fuse and hover your mouse over the bomb to see the countdown. When the countdown is down to about 20 or so, jump off and start a shield glide. If done correcty, the bomb will explode and will lift you even higher! MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU MAINTAIN THE SHIELD GLIDE! Often, the bomb will take you very high in the air, and should you stop gliding you will fall and die! If you learn to do this properly, you can use the bombjump to your advantage often! I'll be showing you in future installments how effective these bombjumps can be to defeating your enemies!
    As a knight, you can destroy almost anything with your sword, stone being the one exception. The knight is a necessity for clearing out portions of the battlefield so that builders can move in and create defenses, so practice a lot and you'll be proficient in no time!

Now, let's go ahead and switch up to the Archer and get a feel for his mechanics. When you start off as an archer, you won't have anything to defend yourself. What's a bow without some arrows, right? There are two ways to obtain arrows, you can either right click and hold on a tree to get 1 arrow per hit, or you can buy them from a shop. Hitting the tree obviously destroys it as you obtain arrows, so make sure you do this only when necessary!

As an archer, your job is simple; snipe enemies. You are quite fleet-footed as an archer; you are able to climb up trees and hide among the leaves, you can quickly jump across enemy trap bridges, and can even create a ladder for yourself using arrows? How do you do that, you ask? Simple.

Left click the mouse and hold it down. A meter will appear, just like the knight's slash meter. However, this meter does not need to be full to fire an arrow. The arrow will travel only as fast and as far as the power behind it, so practice this with aiming to determine where your arrows will go and how long you should hold down the button for each shot. Hold it down until the meter is full and you'll release a power shot, which is enough to briefly stun a shielded knight and do major damage to everyone else! Pretty cool, right? Don't get too cocky; I may just be terrible as an archer, but it's pretty difficult to gauge how far and how fast your arrows will go without wasting a few. But that's okay! It's all about the journey!

Here, you can see a small wall out in the open. There are no trees around it to allow you to quickly climb over, and it's too tall to vault over. How's an archer gonna get over it, you ask? Simple. Charge up a couple of shots, and create a small ladder using your arrows, like so. Now you can climb up your arrows and make it over! This is very effective when an enemy wall has been captured and you want to use it to shoot from.

See these arrows stuck in the ground? They can be reused! Simply right click on any used arrows to pick them back up. This is extremely useful, especially if you're far away from an arrow shop, or there are barely any trees around. Scavenge as much as possible!

The best way to play the archer, I've found, is to find some cover and snipe from a distance. You may notice other archers getting in the thick of the action, but until you're comfortable enough with the class to get up close and personal it is best to keep your distance. As an archer you can easily destroy enemy catapults, kill builders who are trying to get into or destroy your towers, take out knights who are rushing your team, and even kill units halfway across the map!

Don't get me wrong, now. While the classes in King Arthur's Gold may SEEM easy to learn, they are very, VERY difficult to master. While it may be fun to rush into battle and feel the adrenaline of close quarters combat, in a normal CTF game dying often can cost your team the game! Practice makes perfect! Play smart; if the enemy is vulnerable and in a weakened state, rush them! If they're holding your team back and are killing you efficiently, it's probably best to hunker down and play defensively. How do you play defensively with a knight, you may ask? Get up high! Buy some bombs and take out the peons below you!

The game does have quite the difficulty curve, especially when first starting off. Should you invest some time and see how much fun the game is, you'll quickly become quite competent at the game and will be a killing machine!

Well, that's it for this installment of the Krash Kourse. Tune in next time and I'll be taking you through the complicated wonder that is the builder class! See ya next time!

16. Burgerlolz

Burgerlolz Builder Stabber

I like it that's cool, but the video would be more alive if less formal (aka: don't read everything , viewer will hear it) .

17. thebonesauce

The script is really there just to keep me on track. If I don't have SOME kind of organization, I'll ramble far too much. I'm more of an improvisation kind of person anyway, I just need something to keep me focused.

In the end, I'll probably just jot some notes down on a piece of paper, some bullet points to keep me on topic.

tur1sta likes this.
  18. I hope "KAG Krash Kourse" isn't a subliminal message for KKK. Just kidding, good luck. I hope you end up helping someone with this :D.

Carver likes this.
  19. Cadbury

Cadbury You can't escape. Donator

Presentation is key in attracting an audience.

Speak clearly and confidently, enunciate your words, and for goodness sakes don't speak with a monotone, add some emotion to your voice. You have to sound interested in what you're doing to make your viewers interested.

Contrary and BlueLuigi like this.
  20. thebonesauce

That's one thing that absolutely depresses me about most Let's Plays nowadays. Boring. Boring boring boring. I take my cues from slowbeef and diabetus of retsupurae fame.