1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Video thebonesauce's Let's Play KAG Krash Kourse!

Discussion in 'KAG Media' started by thebonesauce, Feb 23, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

So I managed to get myself a registered copy of fraps, thankfully, and I'm gonna record some footage today, and then do a voiceover later on. Progress, ho!

BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. knightl

knightl Base Burner

3. thebonesauce

Okay, so I ditched the script and went straight for an improvised tutorial video.

So far, I have the Knight and Archer (with a catapult how to!) recorded and voiced over, now I just have to piece the two videos together (about 16 minutes or so) and upload it to YouTube under my chosentonessournotes account on there. I'll be posting the link after it's done.

I am in the process right now in doing the builder tutorial... I wanted to make the builder separate from the knight/archer tutorial because there's a LOT more to cover. I'm doing the mechanics of the class, the dos and don'ts of building, resource gathering, some good tower designs, and MAYBE proper tunneling (may be it's own video, but I'm not sure just yet) thrown in for good measure. I don't want these videos being like 25-30 minutes each, though the builder tutorial may be that long.

I actually think I WILL do a proper tunneling segment, making it very short. What I'm doing is going into Sandbox+, booting all the bots but 1 on the Red team, put up a simple, useless structure around the flag (will be building off of it) I have set up a doortunnel (the wrong way, and the acceptable way), two versions of a tunnel (again, the right and wrong way), and at the top of a rather large cliff (the enemy bot will be below) I have leveled out a section and added stone where I will build a quick and easy tower/wall to not only demonstrate an effective tower, but also to show off crushing the enemy using stone.

4. thebonesauce

Part 1 is online!

Putting together part 2: Builder tutorial right now in Vegas, then posting that up. Watch the video in the second biggest video player on Youtube as the video is rather tiny, and I did a decent job on take one and didn't wanna do it again... Hahaha. Enjoy though!

And here is Part 2: Building With Builder!

This is a whopping 36 minute crash course on the elements of the builder, his mechanics, the dos and don'ts of doortunnels (or door hallways) and tunneling, how to build an effective structure, using stone against the enemy (collapsing), the different materials you can mine and their values in each block, why building walls 10 stones wide and 10+ stones tall is never really a good idea, simple walls, simple structures, etc. There's a lot in here!

BlueLuigi and Birdman159 like this.
  5. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

When did the yogscast do a video?

6. thebonesauce

Right around the time that all these new kids started showing up and flooding the servers.

EDIT: That's the main reason I'm doing this, seeing as I go into a game and see kids building the most useless, abstract towers/structures you can imagine. Kids seem to believe this game is like Minecraft, when in reality you can dig and place blocks, and that's where the similarities end.

fraps also crapped out on me, and for some reason it won't let me record in the multiplayer servers. Maybe I just have to restart, but who knows.

Also, while trying to get footage for, "Part 3: To Arms! To Arms!" I had a slow, creeping realization that it's gonna be a lot harder to record, talk, and not wanna slap new guys around than I previously thought. I'm also pretty chatty during the matches, and I gotta try to keep that to a minimum. Unfortunately, I dunno if you guys met a F2P guy named Fran, but we had to stop the dude from building a 22 WIDE DOOR TUNNEL. I was seething with anger and decided to put off recording til a little later when some of the veterans would be around. Right now, I just can't be informative.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Few weeks ago, almost the same day g4tv mentioned KAG.

8. dylanduran

dylanduran A Most Extraordinary Gentleman Donator

Just to let you know, I think the vids great! :B): Also, a 22 wide door tunnel? I pity your luck o.O

thebonesauce likes this.
  9. ChronoWaster

ChronoWaster Shopkeep Stealer

little off topic, but it was not the main part of yogcast (Simon and Lewis) that did the video, otherwise KAG would have been swamped till every server was full

10. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

I think that most of the newbies may have a short attention span especially if they are kids, so try dissecting your videos into 5-10 min vids focusing on one topic at a time.

Example:​
    • Build Phase ( this could include basic and advanced building; also proper ladder techniques ex: team door ladders)
    • Frontline building/support
    • Frontline Siege support ( Regular/Bomb/Human Catapult, resource/ammunition supplying, enemy fort demolition)
    • Tunnels
    • Traps
    That's quite a number of topics to cover. Not all of your viewers will have the capacity or patience to take everything in one go. There's a reason why school classes are taken in one hour intervals and a break is needed in between if any longer. Same goes for tutorial vids.

Long Videos = Bad
    Short Videos = Good
    The shorter you can possibily make the video, the better.​

Dividing your videos into multiple topics also allows you to focus even more about the said topic so your mind doesn't linger around making sure that you have covered what is needed. Even with notes, organization is still difficult.

Towards the end, you can add some tips and tricks, and try to encourage new players to visit the forums since it is brimming with guides and community help also ( you did this somewhere in the vid. Good job!). Then you can collapse all this videos into one playlist which is your crash course for newbies. Each vid is pretty much like a chapter in a school book.

P.S. Using note cards/bulletpoints does help keep focus on what needs to be discussed. (taught in Public Speaking 101)

P.S.S. Advertising the game is good ,but do it at the beginning and/or at the end of the video. Not in between. (you did this in the builder tutorial)

P.S.S.S To do a proper multiplayer tutorial, maybe one of the server owners (preferred one that has a clan) can support by doing a one day private server. This helps keep griefers away that may cause some intense frustration.

thebonesauce likes this.
  11. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

"Long Videos = Bad
    Short Videos = Good"​

Not necessarily true

12. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

hmm...you're right maybe if I changed it to "The shorter you can possibly make it the better"? This is putting to account that the topic at hand may require a lot of detail

13. Caesium

Caesium Builder Stabber

be short and concise in your videos, and try not to show anger in any sort of demonstration. show some actual gameplay footage, and even some clan games to show how the game is meant to be played on a higher skilled level. good luck, friend!

14. thebonesauce

Can't tell if troll or not...

15. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

This the yogscast video?
    edit: Not made by Simon/lewis, made by someone else in the Yogscast, named 'Sjin'

16. Berzerkra

Berzerkra Builder Stabber

I really appreciated your videos and I'm flying through the forums to educate myself with tips/tactics/ect in this game. I'm also reading all the knowledge that Strathos is sharing with us.

But! Big but! I can't do anything of that stuff because of all those ignorant/simple minded people who're playing this game. They just destroying the stuff you're building or alter it so that it loses it's purpose (sometimes they have the courtesy to wait until you're not looking)... it's horrible... and don't even try to discuss this with them in a friendly matter... 19 out of 20 are just going to insult you... (I'd like to mention that so far all of them were non-Premium players).

thebonesauce likes this.
  17. thebonesauce

I appreciate new guys like you. I really do. Unfortunately, that's one of this game's few shortcomings... The community at large (the F2P noobs) don't give a shit about teamwork and would rather just fuck things up for everyone else. You can always tell who the more invested players are, as MORE OFTEN THAN NOT they will be Premiums.

It's difficult to find a decent server where that type of shit won't happen, but I've found (for the most part) if you explain (using team chat of course) why you are making something the way you're making it, they tend to leave you alone. "Guys, the team doors on this tower are essential. They let you fix the tower from behind, so PLEASE don't remove the team doors! Thanks!" Even then, I'll still have F2P noobs tearing out the bottom of the Repairable tower to replace it with more teamdoors... If I see someone trying to tear up my tower, I'll warn them not to, tell them that it serves an important function, and see if they continue. If they do, it can be considered griefing, especially if they say something like, "lol stfu nub." In which case, just say they're griefing. Hopefully people catch on and boot them, or a friendly admin/mod/guard sees this happening and tell them to stop or they're gone. I've had tons of instances where F2P noobs get banned from servers for purposely ignoring my own and the guard's instruction not to mess with tower designs. It all comes full circle. However, different guards have different feelings on the subject, so unfortunately not all guards will stop this kind of behavior as some don't exactly consider it griefing.

It also helps (like with the Repairable tower) that you add a back wall to help people get up, and add an extra trap bridge, like so...

:castle_wall::bridge::bridge::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::blank::bridge::door::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :door::blank::blank::door::door::castle_wall:

Unfortunately, most people need a more "visual" way of explaining how to get over something, so that extra piece of trap bridge will show, "Okay, so those doors aren't supposed to be gone through, maybe I should just up the trap bridges." It will also prevent guys trying to get catapults/outposts up there from tearing through themselves.

As always, though, there will always be the F2P noobs who will feel the need to tear through your shit regardless of how many times you explain. Your best bet? Play on many different servers. Hell, some of my favorites are non-English speaking servers (PL-MaxPlay, etc) as it's usually more experienced players who understand the importance of such structures. Find a decent server where this type of shit is less likely to happen.

It's dog eat dog out there, man. In a perfect world, we could throw up a bunch of sick tower designs and win, but noobs will ALWAYS be noobs, regardless of how much we try to show them the way.

18. knightl

knightl Base Burner

which is another reason why i have to always reinforce my towers with back walls after the first brick is layed people collaspe it and say "stfu noob the doors are meant to be 3x3 and on the ground" or something like this noob on my team cost us the game by building ladders up our tower where i had team bridges he said " Stfu noob i put ladders there to get up not my fault you didn't have any or that the enemy used them"

19. thebonesauce

Exactly. It's going to happen one way or the other because much of the community (F2P, again) is roughly around the age of 10 years old. They don't care about strategy or winning, then think it's another Minecraft/Terraria clone where you play by yourself and everyone on your team is doing their own thing too. They don't quite get the concept of "teamwork" and why it plays such an integral role to winning.

No joke, I made a few Acavado traps in the last game I played a few hours ago, explaining to my team that they were, indeed, team safe, and they didn't have to worry about getting killed like the Reds were. Those things are LETHAL, and literally took out half of their spawn tickets. Of course, noobs will be noobs! (I'll make that a catch phrase, I swear it) and destroyed the spikes and the top (intentionally broken) trap bridge piece.

Of course, if you don't know what Acavado traps are, read this post. (start with page 2, cuz the dynamics of ceiling spikes + trap bridges changed since the build it originated from.)

http://www.kagforum.com/threads/203-acavado-spikes.2109/page-2

Glad to see you're so interested in getting as much information as you can Berzerkra. That is truly the quickest way to becoming skilled and experienced with the game... Joining the forums, becoming involved, and LEARNING!

Happy building, bros.

20. Berzerkra

Berzerkra Builder Stabber

First of all, thanks for your replies :)

I'm very occupied with soaking up every knowledge I can, and yes, the Acavado Spikes were one of them (actually, I've read the thread right before my first post here in this topic :D ). I'm really trying hard to get things rolling in matches but it's extremely frustrating. It's not even the enemy team that frustrates me (like it should be :p ), no, it's our own guys. Exactly 8 minutes ago it happened again but I was surprised that I had alot of backing (in ingame chat obviously) by other premium-players in my team when the griefers destroyed everything (shouting *nupzomfgolololl* you know the deal). It was especially ridiculous since I had the tower up in the middle of the map right after the beginning of the round (really, I was pretty fast this time and quite happy with the result :D ) so we could hold the ground. Backwall was there, enough bridges and stuff and you could go easily over it and back up again... but your so called derp builders came to the front too later on and started digging under it (I mean wtf?! they destroyed the stone blocks I've set up there so the enemy doesn't dig under it or can collapse it. Luckily I had even some bedrock there, the perfect place actually)... we tried to stop them but it was too late and the enemy happily took the tower for themselves. Ofc, in the end we lost.. best thing was that in the building phase someone already collapsed the first building and killed half of our team and instantly disconnected after that. Come to think of it, I guess we were already destined to lose since alot of other players were complaining about griefing. Couldn't see it, because I was at the front and had to deal with my own bunch of tards.

Anyways.. I guess I just have to keep trying. I mean, sometimes it all wents (quite) well but most of the times it just doesn't. I only had a single game where surprisingly no one fucked around with the stuff I've builded up.

Ohhh... and those triple doors... oh my... I totally get what you meant now. They are horrible.. just horribly, hideously disgusting...

Nonetheless, many people appreciated the desings because they recognized them. The problem really seems to be that most of the playerbase (I'm talking about numbers ofc) aren't looking stuff up to learn about the game.

thebonesauce and Neat like this.