1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This game is great but has a horrible community.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samort7, Oct 14, 2012.

1. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I think we can see that easily with people not properly reading the news posted by devs and that leads to many problems and confusion, it's more likely (how do you get new players to even read properly).

2. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

this.
    i was watching a youtube video about LoL and the commentator was talking about how everyone in that game rages at each other and the teams that rage the most always lose. even though he was talking about a different game, this completely changed the way i react in-game to newbieness in KAG. when you rage at another player for whatever reason, you're just instigating a time-consuming flamefest that is likely to draw in other teamates and cost you the game. if you have to say something, make it constructive and friendly, you'll be more likely to win.

tl;dr
    raging at newbs is newbly.

i don't think writing about a bad experience is a problem. yes, at this point it would be a good idea to read some guides. that doesn't fix the bad experience for the 90%+new players that don't even make it to the forums.

DrZaloski likes this.
  3. Brandon816

Brandon816 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Game needs forced tutorials, enough said. I'm sorry you got raged at kid, but there actually are people out there who feign being new so they can grief and get away with it. And that problem doesn't seem solvable without some collateral damage (actually innocent people getting banned). But, if you had known the basic mechanics of the game, you wouldn't have *griefed* either of those times, and it could've saved you some trouble.

If you really want to play as builder, even being new, please go to a creative server first and mess around a bit. At least then you won't cause large scale damage. Also, make sure to read the chatbox. People who think you are griefing will usually call it out, and then you can ask why so you know not to do it again.

EDIT: Also, doesn't the KAG server browser still default to "beginner" for new players? This shouldn't even be an issue.

Beef likes this.
  4. ar3k

ar3k Catapult Fodder

Why should new players be limited to what class they can play? Most players come t0 this game for the building. They would look up games like minecraft or terraria. I am sure this game would come up.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Contrary like this.
  5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Confession time:

I like when there are lots of scrubs so I can massacre them and feel better about myself.

6. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

ar3k is right. us gold guys are douchebags. I used to be a real nice guy when I came to this game. It has turned me bitter, I don't know what it is, maybe the demographic consisting of ten year olds, or maybe I am just getting old.

Rayne, DrZaloski, Beef and 3 others like this.
  7. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Well this game isn't those games. Those games are primarily survival, not team competition. You don't ruin everyone else's game by being ignorant. I'm not saying new players shouldn't be able to build, but if they had to ask for, that would be an opportunity to give them a few pointers before turning them loose.

DrZaloski and Adinxs like this.
  8. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Is it possible for one of the devs or someone to host a tutorial like ctf, where you go there to LEARN how to play, and people who want to teach or help, can go there. You don't get made, you can restart maps, if a newbie acc griefs or something, stuff like that, l2k before playing on a real server, I'm sure people would want to play there, and if you want to complying about griefing, go to another server. Of course, this doesn't mean we should tolerate it, just don't auto kick them, tell them NOT to do it, once or twice before telling them bye.

9. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I find it incredible that an admin froze you but couldn't figure out how to ban you... What server was this on?!

Most times, if you're frozen on another server, you'll be questioned. If you just explain that you're new and ASK FOR HELP (which no new guys EVER do) someone will probably help you!

That's my gripe. New players are always just doing their own thing. They completely ignore the advice/warnings/ranting of other players and mostly just spam the :) smiley as they fuck up the usefulness of a structure.

On the other hand, during a blue moon's solar eclipse, players like you come along. It's a shame that you were mistreated in such a way, but you know... Some people are assholes. I'm an asshole, but only if you're an asshole to me. Hahaha

10. ar3k

ar3k Catapult Fodder

You do realise that more people who are not noobs would show up then actual noobs? Most people would flock to it to meet/talk with a dev. And the 'noobs' most likely want to just play. Half of them don't care what you think, or anyone else thinks

One likes this.
  11. Call_of_duty_guy

Call_of_duty_guy Shopkeep Stealer

Thats true im not saying all "noobs" but some of them just dont know what do to. They have about no training as the options in the first screen are "Solo" "multiplayer" there should be a TUTORIAL button to teach them but that wont stop some peoples poor judgement of noobs.

12. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Hey now, new people aren't the only ones who suck, I was one of the first 6000(I think, somewhere between 5000-7000) to buy premium and I still suck butts

13. Tynamo43

Tynamo43 Catapult Fodder

You'll get the hang of it eventually. Just don't say you're new and then slaughter the entire enemy team. X3

14. vampo

wat? where did he say the devs would be available to talk to. he just requested someone, perhaps a dev, hosts a tutorial server where anyone (not just devs) can go to teach new players or learn from experienced players.

anyway, after the new release i plan on making a class training map that teaches the basics of jump mechanics and then a few more advanced tips for each class and hosting a server for it.

15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

you may be right, but can you tell me the amount of players that have played for at least a month,
    that still think the community is horrible?

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That's only half the equation though. What about those who found things alienating enough that they didn't stay that long? Or those who have stayed with the game but don't engage with the community? Only taking a sample from those who found us and could stand us long enough to learn to like us is not going to give us a fair picture of ourselves.

I agree this community is, in the final assessment, a great place to be; but I also feel that we could do a lot to improve the face we show newcomers even before they reach the forums.

Contrary likes this.
  17. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Again, devs won't go there to hang out. it'll be VOLUNTEERS who want to HELP NEWBS... (hopefully there are people like this) *cough fbb* If noobs just skip it, kick them. Be like THERE IS a tutorial site, if you went there for 30 minutes then you would know how to build and crap. Again This will allow us to look better by being able to kick them and saying how they should go to the tutorial area. So unless you wanna help newbs you don't even have to go.

18. vampo

lol, why not just give admins the power to kick players into the tutorial mode? >_> i see some great admin abuse!

i don't always agree that everyone should tiptoe around new players and be nice. i think that a better plan IS to try to funnel them into the places they need to be in order to learn how to play more effectively without hampering gameplay for the rest of us. i think that the gratification of success is only sweeter when it isn't easy for you, as a new player. if you want to circumvent the push into a tutorial mode, great, but mostly people who go out of their way to do that would be looking for a challenge, anyway, and not as bothered by people flipping out at them for being scrubs.

19. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

This is weird to me, because I didn't have a bad experience AT ALL when going into KAG. I actually had a relatively warm welcome. I think the problem is that our poor new guy went on a bad server. KAG's server policy is very... free market. It's very unfriendly for an admin to act like that, and it's not at all admin-like. He/she should've asked you about it, and maybe just let you off the hook and let you off with a "be careful" warning.

I have to say though, you're going into a game about creating things. When you build something, something big, extravagant, with a lot of effort put into it, you want to see it work until the enemy brings it down themselves. It's actually fairly upsetting when someone --even if it's just a new guy who doesn't realize what's going on-- destroys that tower you just spent five minutes of your life constructing. I understand how people would be mad at you, mess up my tower when they're just trying to help, I have to honestly resist saying "FUCK OFF THIS IS MY TOWER." all the time, and when they mess it too badly I have to abandon it, and I can't help but be a little mad. Although, that's not an excuse for an admin to kick you without a chance for you to explain yourself.

On the topic of a tutorial, I totally agree, there should be a more intrusive tutorial. There is a learning curve, yet lots of people charge into KAG without realizing all the secret little rules about how to build an effective tower and what you can/cannot do, and a lot of them get unjustified rage.

As my advice, stick with KAG, get over the learning curve. I personally love the community here. Just pick a good server to be a regular at, and it can only get better.

illu, Noburu, Monsteri and 2 others like this.
  20. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Here's the solution...

Someone needs to make a server that is a very VERY noob friendly CTF server. There's a ton of RTDM servers aimed at new players, but as the OP said, the building is the most alluring portion of this game. So, maybe some incredibly nice chap could host a Beginner's CTF server and have volunteers who have been with the community for some time as admins who can go on the server and help any new players that might have questions, weed out griefers/hackers, show building techniques, dos/don'ts of combat, etc.

I would be more than happy to volunteer what little time I have to teaching new players about KAG. I love this game and I want more players to be on the same level as players that have been around. It always makes me smile when, once in a blue moon, I find the one new guy who admits he has no idea what he's doing and follows me around asking for pointers, observing how building works and decent strategies, etc etc etc.