1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This game is great but has a horrible community.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samort7, Oct 14, 2012.

1. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

But most of the new players simply would not care. They would most likely flock to the server that has the best ping.

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Believe it or not, there are a large group of new players that are looking for something SPECIFICALLY like this. Don't believe me? On your server browser, have the filter set to Beginner Servers. Join the most populated RTDM server (because those are the only ones that show up under Beginner Servers) and see how many people are saying, "Why can't I build? Can someone tell me how to build? I'm new, and it said this was a server for beginners..."

While I wholeheartedly agree that beginners SHOULD focus a bit more on combat to begin with, they're not getting the full KAG experience being stuck in RTDM servers when they want to check out a CTF game.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Contrary like this.
  3. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

No, Vote kick... Again, if they are greifing the shit outta tutorial... then im not sure the noobs would have an enjoyable stay either...

Thats what I said bs >.< Dont go around copying me :P Well im hoping one of the devs can create a server like this. And they don't even have to go. There WILL be people who wants to. And if there arent, just make sure there is a box that say "Help? Go to IRC" (forget the website url) that will make them come to the forums.

Edit: Didn't see page 3

4. stig700

stig700 Ballista Bolt Thrower

you probally met the wrong people at first because if anybody says hes noob and ask how to... most of them would answer but ye some people are not nice the guys who play rapid team deathmatch is a nice learning ground and most rtdm players will give you tips but ctf is mostly a bad learing ground because everybody is busy with doing stuff

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Okay, thats right.
    Some people may even leave before they get to the part where they start enjoying the game.
    Some solutions:
    One, would be, to improve the tutorial: it even has ground doors in it!

The "perfect" kind of tutorial, would be to have an actual training.
    If you clicked on the tutorial button, a new menu would appear, with one button for each class.
    The knight and archer tutorials would explain fighting, the basic actions, and bombjumping/arrowclimbing,
    Then the builder tutorial would explain the basics of movement, and good building.

Another way is to put a link to the forums in the game.

Either way, in my opinion, the community is not the problem.
    Its just that the community dislikes people who dont yet understand KAG good enough.
    Improve that, and you'll improve the community.

(with punctuation, this time :p)
    //Thank you for the punctuation and case sentence, Gofio. I would kiss you if I didn't think it would make Hella jealous.

6. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Sometimes the community can be a problem, we have to face that, but every community has their assholes. All of them. It's just that KAG is much, much more team-based and teammates can hurt other teammates easily, so the assholes show through much more easily. We will always have admins that are going to insta-ban newbies and throw a shit-fit because someone builds a not-so-great tower in front of the base (even if it has groovy lights in it), and the only way to shrink that is to make it tougher to run a server, which would threaten the freedom and flexibility we have now.

As Gofio said, the best (or at least the simplest and most fail-safe) way forward is an improved tutorial. KAG has a bit of a learning curve, and it's discouraging to be dropped in the water without a little help.

7. vampo

vampo alchemist Donator Tester

this. the mentality to have. i don't even know if controlling "griefing" is a good idea in a newbie ctf server, just because a lot of newbies accidentally grief. in a couple of weeks, i'll be willing to put up a "newbie/griefy/plzdonthack" server. if you go into a server that says it's for newbs, you ought to have the mentality that anyone might wipe out your tower not knowing any better. with the power of this mentality, you can laugh, too, at the noobs, as does the _Cuffs_ other playerman.

8. Superblackcat

Well Jeffery, dont call it "Newbie griefy plzdont hack server" Call it tutorial :P

jeffeypop likes this.
  9. Lord_Slipper_IV

Lord_Slipper_IV Catapult Fodder

it's all good bro, we all started just like you... heck I stopped playing the game for a while coz i was so bad. But the KAG community isn't that bad. I've seen worst. I'm really sorry for what happened to you, hope it gets better.

10. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Guys, he's gone and not coming back.
    This thread has basically became a thread on how to stop people from thinking this game is terrible just because they don't know how to play.:huh?:
    If you wanna talk more about this, just a make another thread that meant for it.:p

11. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

We are still talking about the story, what it means, and possible ways to fix it, what's the problem? No one was off topic. Are we hurting someone? I honestly don't see why can't people stop talking when they want to stop talking, instead of having to stop when the person who made the thread stops talking.

12. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

From what I've seen, KAG's tolerance for screw-ups is pretty low at best, especially when a little absent-mindedness has the potential to unleash all hell imaginable on your team.
    With that said, I think first observing others play builder (or reading/learning about it) for a while before actually starting to do it is a good idea.

13. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Problem: People don't like waiting. People just want to do stuff now.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Cerbercre like this.
  14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well the real issue here is not that some people are build at builder, you can't get around that fact, but that the OP got shitted on by a bunch of admins which made his experience suck. However from the admin's perspective that's perfectly within their right and is also perfectly understandable because having a big noob on your team can suck.

What we should be addressing in this thread is not how to correct noobiness but how to create appropriate channels where they can suck unmolested. What has been talked about for big update KAG is having official vanilla servers moderated solely by guards. I think this would be a good addition to classic as the default for the beginner filter. That way scrubs can scrub it up and have fun in CTF but they can be moderated softly by the guards. AND the people who don't want to play with scrubs can avoid them since they'll be mostly concentrated in one place.

illu and superblackcat like this.
  15. Superblackcat

We need a tutorial CTF manned by Guards and volunteers. as I HAVE SAID OVER 20 TIMES ALREADY!

16. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I completely agree with this. ? Like a huge community to help scrubs. I'd completely volunteer hours if need be i love this game and want it to have a good rep and not create any form of bad rep.

17. Hey Samort7 you can come onto my server! Soon as i rent it which is pretty soon. You are most welcome and i'll be sure no one will abuse you in anyway and I will make it a wonderful experience for you and hopefully a great community!

FuzzyBlueBaron, Contrary and Beef like this.
  18. Almost_Flying_Duck

Almost_Flying_Duck Builder Stabber

If they told you to stop and you didn't, then it's understandable from their POV.

19. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I just saw samort7 today. And he was intentionally griefing, if I remember correctly.

20. Was he now? it's a shame you didnt get proof. I was actually going to be kind to him the first time i see him.