1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This week's cool stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 23, 2012.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Things that we've been working on this week:

[​IMG]

• Water (with simple tide/waves)
      This is quite a bit of fun - it still needs some tweaking to suit gameplay properly but making a diving board and fighting underwater are enjoyable.
    • Wooden blocks (weaker, but only cost wood)
      These can be used for rapidly fortifying areas (make full use of those mats) and to construct less vital parts of towers.
      It might become necessary to build these before building stone blocks, but we'll see about that down the line. For now, wooden towers!

(With the two above additions, its only a matter of time before we introduce fire...)

• Shield bashing is back in the game, with variables now bound to config vars in gamemode. We're still working on dealing with lag as there's a fair bit of warping with latency, but it prevents the slash2win strategy that's applied in knight combat this build. We had a lot of fun bouncing Rayne down hills to get it more balanced, but it's possible to re-create old giant shieldbashes and to make shield bashing happen just from walking into someone and so on.

There have been a few fixes (/loadmap now works for configs, and /savemap doesn't append .kag no matter what, a few technical things) and Ryan/FLAB is making good headway with some more API stuff that will reduce server load quite a bit during peak times, but most importantly we're working on block colliders that can move around, carry players and crush them against walls.

Its early days yet, but this should lead to config defined building blocks, and building blocks larger than one tile. It's also already lead to Michal testing a rudimentary smasher, which was a smashing success. You can have a look at the video here as I cant figure out how to embed into this post, heh.

Geti

2. MCrypa

MCrypa Haxor

Dayum! Nice :D
    Can't wait for underwater battles and diving board.
    Now add them surfboards :p

Shieldbash is back! God, how I missed that. Hated how the slash2win system worked :l (Even though I tend to win) Oh well.. Time to practise.

So... How would fire occur?
    Builders use flint and steel?
    Archers use firearrows?
    Explosives ignite stuff?
    You should make us able to carry water in a bucket (to put down fires)
    And trees should burn as well. Maybe you should be able to ignite players... hehe

EDIT: First :3

SARGRA13, Jomppexx and delankski like this.
  3. Gamerbro

Gamerbro Drill Rusher

Yay! Shield bashing is back <3

Yoshimotoman and delankski like this.
  4. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Or perhaps create a new workshop called well, you can get bucket for 10 wood carry water from the well or any other close water reservoirs.

[​IMG]

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@MCrypa: gotta be careful the whole map doesn't catch alight though ;) We're currently rethinking fire arrows actually, fire may come purely from siege stuff and explosives, though fire arrows might also make it in (would likely be a little too dangerous though, one very well aimed arrow could cause so much havok..)

@Gamerbro: ikr

@Lostpix: that's likely to be how fire extinguishing will work :) you may or may not have to dig the tunnel for the well all the way down to the water level :P

6. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Builders will have more purpose now during the siege, and I hope most people will rethink the way they build things. One Thing I was looking forward at some point was sloped blocks so if someone threw a bomb it would slide off and people who jump would do too. Would be great for roof.

delankski likes this.
  7. Cirom

Cirom Bison Rider

I think that fire arrows should be in, but be significantly weaker compared to fireballs and kegs. (Assuming kegs start fires.)

Noc and delankski like this.
  8. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

Soo much win :)
    Shield bashing
    the game will be more harder to win LOL

9. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Been fucking with water in test build since last night, and even at such an unfinished state it's fun as hell. Love what you guys did with underwater bombs!

10. delankski

delankski Horde Gibber

I wonder, underwater bomb jumps XD .
    no bombjumps on underwater if we can swim and loled

11. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

ಠ_ಠ
    Thought This would be a release. Get to KAG. Be disappoint.

12. Dark_Ham

Dark_Ham Shipwright

Is this for Premium only? Also great work! Water will look amazing! :D

FlameHaze3 and delankski like this.
  13. Knights sink due to armor, builders can swim if they drop their anything heavy (like those movable workstations), & archers can swim period?

Gofio and delankski like this.
  14. hexalslug

hexalslug Bison Rider

I always hoped water would be physics based, that would be amazing. Imaging pouring it down the side of a tower cascading enemies off it, creating moats and water traps, sinkholes/whirlpools in lakes where caverns have opened up dragging down people and boats, flooding an enemy tunnel and drowning them all, or accidentally digging up into an underground lake and drowning yourself. So many possibilities.

This still looks like it will be fun though.

15. That or we'll get Minecraft water which isn't even real water. ;c

But we can dream!

delankski likes this.
  16. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I wonder if I could get test build, I wish I could. Testing would be hell of a fun for me.

FlameHaze3 and delankski like this.
  17. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Oh man, that stuff is just simply amazing! GJ guys :)

delankski likes this.
  18. delankski and LostPix like this.
  19. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

Could you explain how water will co-work with underground mining/tunnels?
    I've played around with the test build and It looks like, unless the water level is really low, the underground mining will vanish.

I know it's still in development, but wouldn't it be better to put water on the same "layer" as the background?
    It would fill all the holes and gaps (that's what she said) , without interfering with dirt layer.

They float ಠ_ಠ

20. Jomppexx

Jomppexx Shopkeep Stealer

WOW! When is this coming out Geti? Seems amazing! :D

delankski likes this.