1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

This week's cool stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 23, 2012.

1. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

What kind of expectations/limitations can we expect with water?
    Can we swim/only some classes can swim, i've heard bombs float, are we able to drowned/flood tunnels with it?

2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Wait and you shall find out.

Bunnyboy, Dark_Ham and xChapx like this.
  3. King133x

King133x Ballista Bolt Thrower

There is nothing wrong with wanting a little more things to the game. there is so much the community would like to see but alas they apparently are running out of time :( if many of you are complaining about how the game isnt fixed yet how would adding another large part of the game help the developers fix current problems if youve been playing kag as long as me youve had alot of patience i think we can have just a little more :) its not like they arent listening to what we want!

Noburu, Geti and KnightGabe13 like this.
  4. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

It's one thing to use no punctuation. It's another to use smileys instead of punctuation.

King133x, FlameHaze3 and KnightGabe13 like this.
  5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Shnitzel, please get your posterior to the Ivory Tower or else refrain from ragging on other people's syntax. Also, unnecessary off-topic is unnecessary. :huh?:

6. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

See first post; "Things that we've been working on this week". Durr hurr? :eek:

Noburu, KnightGabe13 and Rayne like this.
  7. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

How exactly does shield-bashing work?

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Jump at enemy, shield, collide with enemy while shielding, enemy gets pushed back a few tiles.

the title is referring to what the devs have been working on during last week, not the release date, hurr durr.

9. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

A little bit Off-Topic here, but Notch never worked in the first place.
    He was always Twitting about his daily vacations.

Worm, Halosnake, Noburu and 4 others like this.
  10. dyersEve

dyersEve Builder Stabber

Actually, aren't the game graphics SNES-like already? I mean, the colors were already pretty damn rich on SNES, what the devs probably meant were NES graphics.
    Because, actually, this looks nothing like retro for me:

[​IMG]

11. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

Oh... I think that post is the most embarrassing I've made thus far in my KAG career... :oops: Durr hurr...

Dark_Ham and Ne3zy like this.
  12. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

He's referring to the nowhere-to-be-found-in-10-seconds-of-google SNES mode, that as far I remember, would add scanlines to the game.

Yep. Scanlines. That's all. Maybe that could be achieved modifying the game shaders (replacing the smoothing with some scanlines), though I'm not sure.

Ghozt likes this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

^ correct.

Re: Please put more things in game I wish there was lava and maybe a cannon or seven please! (I know no-one has quite said that yet, but it sounds similar far too often) - This is exactly what we want to avoid! Aside from a few things in zombie fortress, I'm proud to say that KAG is free of mechanics that don't need to be there. We don't want to waste time with a mindless gimmick or something only applicable to 1% of games. We want KAG to be one of the alarmingly few indie games where the vanilla game is actually well thought out and organised, and plays well, where the mods are the things that provide the fractal chainsaws and tentacle backpacks.

A lot of you seem to have come from a terraria background. That's vaguely cool and all, but
    - the developers for that game seemed to be asshats who never actually wanted to talk to the community and were very glad to tell everyone how easy it was to make a quick buck and
    - the game is full of so much random crap that doesn't need to be there it's not funny. I'd go as far as saying 75% of terraria's content is unnecessary, and that >60% of it is utter spam.

We _could_ just crap out items and machines until the deadline, but that's not what we want to do - we want to make gameplay-effective mechanics, and develop the modding tools so that the community can continue to toy around with what works and what doesn't content wise.

Re: RELEASE SOURCE RELEASE DEV API - you do realise minecraft is only doing/done this because they have X many bathtubs full of money, right? Once we're at the point where no-one in our office is strugging to afford groceries from time to time, then we'll consider open sourcing stuff. For now, we actually need to be able to make money to live.

Re: things might change but you never said they might change you're breaking promises - there's a big fat disclaimer at the bottom of the buy page saying some features wont make it in, that it isn't a sales offer or a concrete TODO, with some not so great cheerful english about making the game perfectly fun. We do need to go and edit that page to remove the features we've decided will not be there and put a more concrete TODO list up, but it has always been clearly stated right near the BUY buttons that you get what you get, not what you think you're promised.

We're still collating the legal side of things re: an announcement.

Some more direct replies:

Ghostz Ghozt (whoops): cheers for helping re-iterate stuff to those just coming to the thread.
    King133X: thank you.
    FlameHaze: I think that's been stated about 4x in this thread alone... It's a water level, you can't flood tunnels with it but you also cant dig tunnels below the water line, you can swim, we may make some class specific variables re sink or swim and how much air they can hold, you drown if underwater for too long.
    Aer: I simply dont think it's compatible with KAG at this point. There's nothing stopping us from coming back and making a new game with the overworld in mind from the beginning, but we've got to focus on what will bring the most to this game at this point.
    Gofio: We are not abandoning KAG! We're making sure it's finished and giving the community tools to change the game! Not only am I not just posting "ey we're leaving bye" on the devlog, I'm actually here responding to your post. Cmon man, don't lump me in with the terraria guys.
    Dennisisaran: "I do trust that you guys will try to make a game that you truly and genuinely enjoy and think is good, rather than just give up or run away with the money, screaming." - haha, it took me two tries at reading this to understand properly, but thank you. We'll release more details as they actually become concrete, because if there's one thing we've done wrong it's talking about ideas too freely on the devlog, heh. Trust me that the full version is going to flesh out quite a bit in the next few weeks.

14. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Well said Geti. *clap clap*
    Anyway, I love how you spelt my name. :p
    I also laughed when you talked about the money.

I am also sorry about the disclosure thing, I actually never noticed, the game was so good I just clicked buy instantly. :)
    Good to see you have your priorities straight, keep up the good work.

15. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Sorry if we seem negative. Its just that it's sorta all of a sudden. Crow told me in the middle of a game, when seconds ago Overworlds seemed like a very important end-goal (what with the post about it and the fact it's on the "planned for the future" part of the finalized KAG page). Then suddenly it looks fairly grim. It's totally understandable, new games have to be made, but it still hurts. We're just a tad discouraged, thats all.

Also, if there's ever going to be an "Overworlds" game, we (gold users) get it for free? That's not necessary. KAG, even if it doesn't have Overworlds, is still a full game, that's worth its full price, and the "Overworlds" game will be its own full game, with its own full price. It's an extremely kind and noble gesture, but frankly, we are not entitled to the game for free, nor do we deserve it. "Overworlds" would be its own game that I'd happy throw money at my computer in order to have. If you make that game, it should definitely be worth the time in effort put into it price-wise, for everyone. Again, it's a really nice gesture, but really unfair to the devs.

Also, love the extreme hate for the Terraria devs, encouraging to see! :p

riseoflegends, Halosnake, Aer and 7 others like this.
  16. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Let's put it this way; Soldat is still going strong. What makes you think KAG won't be 10 years down the road? If we get proper modding tools and such to increase the lifespan, we could keep this game going for a very, VERY long time.

17. Swift_Demon

Swift_Demon Tree Planter

Well, I'm Always waiting for new updates to come out. Last week it said this and its Been past 7 days The KAG Team Never tell you which day to expect stuff on (that i know of) I've only been at KAG for a Couple Months (2 Months or so), But i've been Loving it. Im also Getting KAG premium soon and also Im going to let people rent my server for a Day or something, For clan wars you know?

Well I am pretty happy that Shield Bashing is coming Back And wood is also Joining KAG but its still a long road ahead and Every step of the way We will be with KAG, Supporting it.

~ [TA] Founder, Swift Demon

18. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Its far too early to tell what could happen with any future games. We're not even guaranteeing that we will make a separate Overworld-inspired game, so saying something like 'KAG-owners will get it for free' or anything similar would essentially be a cheap marketing ploy to score a few more sales of KAG, which is definitely not what we're about.

I will say that I would personally really like us to make a game like that eventually, but that is literally as far as I can go whilst maintaining my integrity.

19. Adinxs

Adinxs Bison Rider

We only really want the Overworld when we can't have it.
    Really, right now, all I want are those extra classes.

Halosnake, BeasterDenBeast and Ghozt like this.
  20. Learner

Learner Base Burner

I think I sort of see how the individual classes will interact with water.

Knights, being the big heavy lugs that they are, would be ranked 'most likely to drown'. However, I read somewhere around page 3 or somewhere close about ramp blocks and instantly, I had the feeling that knights might slide down these ramps while riding their shields. One, it's a method for them to pick up speed for the purpose of surfing, an issue that what I already know, could only be solved with a catapult or a bomb, both of which seem asinine, since both can be used to cross a gap anyhow. (And arn't lakes in a sense a gap too?) This would also ramps another purpose, I sort of see it as a 'special' shield bash attack, as an attack for approaching enemies. I could see ramps working for shields even if they were spaced apart, which means one could also hop their way back up using the gap ledges. All of this of course only matters if any of these mechanics are on the design board.

Builders, I see builders as the gotta be everywhere sort of guy. I somehow see these guys with micro air tanks for that small extended period of time with which they can build. But then again, I currently have no idea how long each character can stay underwater, so this might even overcharge them a little bit.

Archers are the ninjas of the game. I can see these guys swiming with absolute ease, using water to it's fullest potential. They can climb trees for goodness sake. I don't see why they couldn't swim. I also see them swimming stealthly just beneath the surface of the water like alligators. I suppose that would work if the surface of the water was blurry, or had too much sunlight reflecting off of it.

Either way, these were simply just some thoughts that had happened to have popped up. It would be cool to see these things involved, but it's quite all right either way. This already is a great game.

Also, since the premium board doesn't specifically mention wooden structures, I'm guessing it's going to everyone.

Wixmef, delankski, Ghozt and 4 others like this.